Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times

Advertisements

When are you heading this way Capt. Jack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM

155 posts, read 375,941 times
I would love to come up Thanksgiving time but..three days off just isn't enough time. So we are looking at Christmas time as I have three weeks off from school, so that is the plan... That is for a visit, as for a move up there, we are looking at the coming summer
Blessings
White Mountain.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
I would love to come up Thanksgiving time but..three days off just isn't enough time. So we are looking at Christmas time as I have three weeks off from school, so that is the plan... That is for a visit, as for a move up there, we are looking at the coming summer
Blessings
White Mountain.
If you are looking to stay in Ruidoso over Christmas the village is just about full at that time and the rates for hotels, cabins, etc. are at their peak. I'm not sure when your break is, but if you can wait until after New Years the rates will go down again. The rates on our cabin double at Christmas time and someone reserved it over a month ago.

We will be in Ruidoso in three weeks from today for five nights.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
That would be cool if you all could be here in the area at the same time and along with some others, we could have a get together.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Yea song, I would love to meet the people I have met here, that would be great.

I will try and shoot for after new year as JDTH says, that way less crowds..
We could either make a drive up there, even though that may be a bad idea because of the snow between here (ca) and NM. Or we could fly into Lubbock where my friend is and then he could drive us up there, then we could rent a car and stay a few days...
That would be loads of fun, getting to know the area!
have a great evening
White Mountain

Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
I will try and shoot for after new year as JDTH says, that way less crowds..
Less expense too! As he said, rental rates are doubled for the Xmas holidays. Not sure if that applies to local motels too, but it definitely does for agencies that manage private home rentals. Of course there is always the option of staying in Alamogordo and driving to Ruidoso for the day. Alamogordo does not see the influx of tourists like Ruidoso does and it's an easy hour drive each way. I know some people who commute daily between the two towns.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
That would be cool if you all could be here in the area at the same time and along with some others, we could have a get together.
Song,
That would be fun and very cool. We will try to make it to Timberon on our trip. I will talk to you about it soon.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
I will scout the area around the place I am looking to buy in hopes that it is no where around....Or,,,,you ever hear of flame throwers?????
No need to worry about cholla here. The most annoying plant is the invasive (and I think non-native) thistle. It is very ugly and prickly most of the time, but does sprout a nice purple flower for awhile. It completely takes over some spots if you don't control them.

One thing I really like about this area is that the natural "landscaping" tends to be so good, it is hard to improve on it. Not much in the way of gnarly brambles and weeds. And there is really nothing to impede your enjoyment of just strolling around in the wilderness. The only bug I've noticed that is a bother are the deer flies that come out in the early summer in some wet areas... and the only place I've encountered them is on the Apache Rez near Cloudcroft.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
No need to worry about cholla here. The most annoying plant is the invasive (and I think non-native) thistle. It is very ugly and prickly most of the time, but does sprout a nice purple flower for awhile. It completely takes over some spots if you don't control them.

One thing I really like about this area is that the natural "landscaping" tends to be so good, it is hard to improve on it. Not much in the way of gnarly brambles and weeds. And there is really nothing to impede your enjoyment of just strolling around in the wilderness. The only bug I've noticed that is a bother are the deer flies that come out in the early summer in some wet areas... and the only place I've encountered them is on the Apache Rez near Cloudcroft.
Good stuff my friend....
I plan on doing a lot of walking!!!!
When we get up there my wife will let me get a pup!!!
Right now I have my mind set on a Jack Russell Terrier...
They need lot's-o-walking time my wife will be very happy about that....
I haven't heard any mention of the dreaded Poison Oak,,which is great because I love to trek around in the mountains, so when I lived in Oregon Poison Oak and I were constant companions
Have a great weekend everyone!!!!
White Mountain.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Just sending everyone a warm hello...
Working hard to make the May deadline for the move to Ruidoso, which means I will hardly have many moments to look up, keeping my head is down, as I make a hard charge...
Wishing you all a great week...
Peace and many blessings
White Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico