Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
I have no worries that she is qualified to find a job, the question is what is the pay like?
She is getting about $13 an hour here, which is on the low side as she took the job to get a wider range of training in different areas.
I am hoping that she can find a medical job for no less than $10 in Ruidoso.
Once she gets there she can even start building massage customers.
What sort of qualifications does she have? $13 seems cheap for anywhere doing anything medical, if she has had training. My nephew is a PT assistant in rural IL and he makes over $20... and the benefits are good.

She will need to become NM certified before she can practice massage legally. As I've mentioned before massage is a good business here. If you can get even a modest level of work it will be a whole lot better than a $10-13/hr job.

As for you, I don't know... what qualifications do you have? If you have waitering experience that would be a possibility. It's too late for getting a ski job. It will be slow in general til May or so. If you are looking for something with no prior skill, then Walmart and Dennys are usually hiring.

My wife and I burned through $10k in the first few months we were here. Neither of us was making money and we needed to buy things. I wouldn't suggest moving with less than that in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM

155 posts, read 375,963 times
Thanks rruff,

Yea, a guy in another thread said she would make 7 to 8 bucks an hourin Ruidsos if she was lucky, that guy was smoking some funny stuff.....
My wife went to school and is a certified Medical Assistant, she now works for a medical clinic here in Sonoma county in Ca.
She has been looking at the jobs in NM and has found quite a few that range around the $15hr mark, which is is qualified for. However they are in Roswell, ABQ area etc, but has yet to find any online for Ruidoso.

As for me, I have been an auto mechanic for 30 years with Sears, but, I am really wanting to lock my tool box and open it only on RARE occassions
I saw there was an opening for a pizza driver at pizza hut..all the pizza I can eat and tips,,,wow,,now that would be stress free!!!!!!!!

The good part is that if and when we get that business loan, part of the monies will go for our move to Ruidoso, and a trip or two prior to the move, so that way my wife will be able to go herself and look at the employment possibilities.
I am sure hoping that she can find one in Ruidoso, otherwise we may be forced to stay in another town in NM other than Ruidoso for awhile.
If she finds a job let's say in Roswell, then we would stay there until the business can afford us to move to Ruidoso, which is where we want to end up.
So there are many issues that will be cleared up in a month..There is no doubt that there are plenty of openings in the medical field so that is good and means we are clearing our throats and ready to sing a song on the way to NM...I just hope it is in Ruidoso
Talk soon...
White Mountain

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
As for me, I have been an auto mechanic for 30 years with Sears, but, I am really wanting to lock my tool box and open it only on RARE occassions
Ruidoso has always lacked "reliable, honest and competent" mechanics and tradesmen of all types! Lucky is the person who finds someone who has all three qualities. Those people who are good at what they do don't come cheap and are overloaded with business. There is one particular mechanic in Ruidoso whose name comes up anytime someone asks about car repairs - and he can't handle all the business he gets. As you might guess, word of mouth is the best (or worst) advertisement one can get in a small town such as this, and being successful in any business means earning a good reputation.

OTOH, there are plenty of slackers who will take your money and give marginal service - no shortage of carpetbaggers and slackers here.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Finding a honest, reliable mechanic is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, that's for sure.
I wrote a ebook about it, so if anyone wants one at no charge just let me know.
After 30 years I am just plain tired of the trade as from where I have been I have seen too much dishonesty, I have always hated it which is why I have been trying to get away from it for so long.
I could set up shop in Ruidoso, but to get it up and running would cost too much.
Well, it looks like it is snowing up there, as it is raining cats and dogs her in the Bay Area...
Talk soon.
White Mountain.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
My fingers are crossed for you White Mountain.
The thing to do is get here first and not to try to plan out so many things at once.
Become a pizza guy and have fun with that until your biz kicks off.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
OTOH, there are plenty of slackers who will take your money and give marginal service - no shortage of carpetbaggers and slackers.
So true. But a down side to this is that it will take time to develop a good reputation... you will likely not be "trusted" until you have proven yourself.

I don't know exactly what your future business plans are, but if you *can* set up your own auto shop here and you do quality work, you won't have to worry about finances once you get established.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM

I hear ya Song...Looks like if we can just get my wife a medical assistant job in Ruidoso we are good to go..sooo, if you hear of anything....

rruff,

Well, that is something to fall back on, if the other biz plans don't work out.
Good equipment is so expensive, so I think I would just start our working on minor maintance such as brakes etc.
That way I would keep ovehead cost to a minimum.
It is somthing to keep in the back of my mind...

Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
So true. But a down side to this is that it will take time to develop a good reputation... you will likely not be "trusted" until you have proven yourself.
There is such a crying need for good mechanics that when one comes along who is "reliable, honest and competent" he has no trouble signing on with an established shop. Now - whether the shop he works for is "reliable, honest and competent" is yet another question. I've had shoddy work performed by even the larger car dealers in Ruidoso, to say nothing of the small auto repair businesses. There are but a handful of shops in all of southern NM that are AAA approved - which is the guide I try and use.

When all else fails, there is always Walmart. They are ALWAYS hiring and having a hard time keeping help due to their strict drug screening.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 PM

In my lieftime I can honestly say that I have only found a small handful of honest mechanics, that is why in my book I give ideas on how to spot if you are being cheated.
If you have a mechanic on a quota or is on commision you will be cheated many of the times. So it is best to find an honest 1 or 2 man shop that is mostly worried about you coming back to him for repairs as returning customers are the only thing that will keep business running...

Well, Walmart is a thought, just till my biz gets up and running..now the drug screening may be a problem,,is milk a drug? I have been taking Vicoden for a pulled tooth this past week,,but I am sure that will be out of my system soon....
WM

Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM

On the question of wages - someone said $7 - 8 an hour - it's overlooking the fact that there are minimum wage laws and NM has a slightly higher minimum than the federal law. Here is the best place to start looking at wage and hour laws for NM:

http://www.dws.state.nm.us/dws-Article1.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico