Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 AM

52 posts, read 179,829 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Jaxart, this is definitely food for thought and is the type information I am looking for. I live in a 'weekend' tourist town, but the town is big enough (and the tourist area is only in the old-time courthouse square area, where all the antique shops are) so I really never even see nor am affected by the tourist trade.. Darn... I may have to slow down on eating out if it is too pricey... thanks again for your post!
TAJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aunt Julie View Post
Thanks, Jaxart, this is definitely food for thought and is the type information I am looking for. I live in a 'weekend' tourist town, but the town is big enough (and the tourist area is only in the old-time courthouse square area, where all the antique shops are)
Seeing that you list Parker County as your location, I suspect you live in Weatherford? One of the nicest little towns in Texas. I knew several people who moved there in their retirement years.

One thing I like about Red River is that it's still much smaller than Ruidoso, where I live. Unlike Ruidoso, it's never really caught on with the summer cabin owner crowd and I don't know if that's a plus or not for those choosing to live in that area year around. I am guessing that the surrounding National Forest has restricted private home construction.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Absolutely, I live in Weatherford, and have been here 30 years; my grandparents moved here in 1935, so there has been family here for a loonnnng time. I'll keep my main residence here in Weatherford, more than likely.

I agree with what you say about Red River; it doesn't seem to have that large a population that have cabins there; mostly visitors that come and go (as far as I can tell). Don't tell anyone (sssshhhh) but I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of some of the condos/townhomes there - I had looked in Colorado - around Dillon, Frisco, (both are right next door to Breckenridge and Keystone, not too far from Vail either) - and OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Could not even TOUCH those places - at least not in a location that was even near anything or had a view. So i decided to keep looking, and Red River really REALLY has me intrigued now.
What is the elevation of Ruidoso? I was trying to get some ideas as to the winters at that elevation (about 9000 I think, for Red river?)
TAJ

Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times
The Village of Ruidoso is about 7,000 feet, but Sierra Blanca is just a little over 12,000 ft.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
I was trying to get some ideas as to the winters at that elevation (about 9000 I think, for Red river?)
TAJ
Red River facts from their CofC web site:

Statistics
Altitude: 8,750 feet
Average Winter Temperature: 40 degrees in the daytime, 12 degrees at night
Average Summer Temperature: 75 degrees daytime, 38 degrees at night
Average Snowfall: 188"
Town Services: Police, Fire, Ambulance, Water, Sewer, Solid Waste

Red River, New Mexico

Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Julie, you might be interested in the weekly newspaper for the Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire, and Cimarron areas.
http://www.sangrechronicle.com/chronicle.html (broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM

jiminnm, thanks, I'll definitely look up the weekly newspaper - awesome, I appreciate it. Jaxart, thank you for the website. You are all awesome - you all ROCK !!!!

TAJ

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
Default The Move to Red River

Quote:
jiminnm, thanks, I'll definitely look up the weekly newspaper - awesome, I appreciate it. Jaxart, thank you for the website. You are all awesome - you all ROCK !!!!

TAJ

Did you make the move to Red River?
You must have stayed at Copper King. Weatherford gave it away.
You’ll like living Red River. You can be around people as much as you wish.
Some have said the restaurants are expensive in Red. They are not any more expensive than the fast food places in Taos.
Taos is only 38 miles from Red River and has several grocery stores. You’ll soon find out that the grocery store in Red River has better prices on many things. Santa Fe is 110 miles away and I make a trip down there to visit Sam’s about four times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico