U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,174,196 times
Default Thunderstorms

I am so sick and tired of these stupid thunderstorms that keep hitting Alamo. I am tired of them for one reason and one reason only, everytime we have one it never fails my power goes out. Monday night it was out for 4 hours and now it is thundering and lightening again. The weird thing is it only hits about 4 blocks in my area, I go in my front yard and Scenic has lights, the hospital has lights, and the Space Center has lights, my old house has lights. I just hope we don't lose power tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 AM

33,457 posts, read 28,171,325 times
Invest in an automatic start standby generator fueled by natural gas.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,756,683 times
I don't care for thunderstorms either. I like the rain but there's no purpose for thunder and lightening. The power does seem to go out alot though and we deal with it but the reason I don't like them is the noise and because the lightening can cause a fire.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 15,636,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I don't care for thunderstorms either. I like the rain but there's no purpose for thunder and lightening. The power does seem to go out alot though and we deal with it but the reason I don't like them is the noise and because the lightening can cause a fire.
Bull****! Lightning is one of nature's major natural ways of "fixing" nitrogen out of the atmosphere, where it can precipitate to the ground in rain. In case you didn't know nitrogen is a very essential plant nutrient. Read about that here: Nitrogen Fixation By the way, at any given moment, there are over 1,000 thunderstorms occurring around the globe--that is a lot nitrogen fixation going on.

The other function of lightning, as you point out, is to start natural fires. Those fires are an important part of forest ecosystems, as well, and their suppression has caused real problems with the overall health, vitality, diversity, and sustainability of the forest environment.

Like most natural phenomena, lightning serves a necessary purpose in the environment. It is also one of nature's great light shows--fun as hell to watch.

If you don't like lightning, the Southwest or the southern Rocky Mountains is not the place to be. Move to the Pacific Coast states, which have the lowest thunderstorm and lightning frequency in the lower 48 states.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 AM

I've been over much of the United States and the thunder and lightening happens everywhere. I don't think it happens in one place more than another but then again, I don't really care. It happens.
I also don't see anything amusing and fun about lightening starting fires.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

746 posts, read 1,148,622 times
The function of lightning is precisely what Jazzlover said. For most of us, we look forward to the thunderstorms and impact of the North American Monsoon, in spite of the fact I've lost a few thousand $$ of electronic equipment here over the past 20 years. However...for those who want to live in the USA and avoid lightning as much as possible...check out the link below. You can get a pretty good idea of thunderstorm frequency this way. By the way...although you'll see Florida's hold on the lightning capital of the USA, during the period from mid June through mid September, Portions of New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona rival Florida (that is not shown on the map).

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/primer/ligh...sh_density.jpg

Old 08-07-2009, 11:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 15,636,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I don't think it happens in one place more than another . . .

I also don't see anything amusing and fun about lightening starting fires.
Wrong again. Here's a great study:

http://ams.allenpress.com/archive/1520-0493/129/5/pdf/i1520-0493-129-5-999.pdf (broken link)

Lightning starting fires may not be "amusing and fun," but it is natural and necessary. Here's a dirty little secret--Rocky Mountain forests are naturally designed to burn--and they will. Where the trouble starts is when we build stuff in that environment. The first result is fire suppression, which causes ever-greater fuel buildups. Thus, when a fire does finally occur, it tends to be large, dangerous, and catastrophic. Lightning may start fires, but how that fire progresses from there is a matter of how the forest has been managed and what has been allowed to be constructed within it. A lifelong forester friend of mine said it well, "We don't 'prevent' fires, we just postpone them. And the longer we postpone them, the bigger and more dangerous they will be." Well, we're there.

By the way, on this, the 65th birthday of Smokey Bear, it's important to note that the Smokey the Bear campaign was designed primarily to stop human-caused forest fires. There was a good reason for this: Most lightning-caused fires tend to start from strikes to higher ground--ridgetops and higher areas. These fires tend to be smaller and burn out more quickly. Human-caused fires are started more frequently on valley floors and lower areas--where they can take advantage of natural draft and winds to grow more rapidly as they burn uphill. Because of this, they are more likely to "crown out" and literally start making their own weather--with today's fuel-laden forests, often morphing into a "mega-fire." To be sure, lightning-ignited fires can also do this under the right conditions, but are frequently less likely to do so. So, though I am not an advocate of fire suppression, I agree with Smokey's message about preventing human-caused fires.

Last edited by jazzlover; 08-07-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,290,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover
"We don't 'prevent' fires, we just postpone them.
Some things just need to be quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7
I've been over much of the United States and the thunder and lightening happens
everywhere. I don't think it happens in one place more than another ...
You can go for years and not hear thunder or see lighting in the Bay Area.
You WILL, however, see a rainy season every year.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,174,196 times
I think this year at least in Alamo has been worse for lightening and thunder, normally I love a thunderstorm but when I perisistently lose my electricity, yet my friend 6 blocks down doesn't, it gets irratating.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM

I'm just really sensitive when it comes to storms. They scare the crap out of me and I guess I'll always be afraid of them.
Like ajzjmsmom says, I don't like losing power all the time either and having to reset things again. It does get annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico