Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Alison's real estate broker must be good indeed. The only deal, looking on realtor.com, that even approaches Alison's, is this one:

56 Sundown Trl Silver City NM - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #28786 - Realtor.com®

And it's still listed higher than what Alison was able to buy.
I think this is the house that some friends of ours are considering buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
"Bright, what is your friend's name? I can check the phone book to see if there is a listing for him, if you like.[/quote]

Thanks so much! I've sent you a DM.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Londonderry has really gotten suburbanized and sprawled, hasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW – that 160 grand will not buy a buildable empty lot where we currently live in Londonderry, New Hampshire. Our condominium town house (low end for L’derry) is worth almost that much.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
In response to Post 34

When we moved here 26 years ago Londonderry’s population was just over 9,000. Last census had us at 24,000. This change in density is one of the reasons I want to retire to a less congested place. We do not need three supermarkets and a Home Despot. One grocery and a hardware store would, as it was, be just fine.

So we are looking for a place with reasonable shopping, decent health care (I hope to get old enough to need some) and, compared to a normal southern New Hampshire winter, no winter at all. As I mention we did visit Silver and liked the place. However we also like Socorro and it has NMT University. As I am an Environmental Scientist the opportunity to renew my studies is overwhelming.

Socorro is also centrally located and a small industrial park. That may be ideal for the alternate energy systems I am developing.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
Talking Silver City Transplants, Water and Real Estate Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
In all seriousness, do we have any facts to back up these facts? Or is this just internet myths etc...

I know three people who recently left Silver City after living there over 15 years and were originally from Colorado, Indiana and Northeast U.S...

Rich
I have to agree with Rich. I have been in Silver City for 13 years now. There are transplants from all over the US right now. I moved down from Colorado. At the time, Silver City real estate was less expensive than the mountain areas of Colorado. I do understand that Silver City's real estate is expensive relative to other areas of the southwestern US, but there always seems to be enough interest in our area and people willing to pay the price to be here. As with most areas around the country, our prices are down significantly from the highs of 2005-2006. We don't have the repo inventory that other areas have so maybe we haven't experienced such a large drop in prices compared to the hard hit areas of AZ, NV, CA and FL. Our copper mines are currently in full operation including reclamation work that is ongoing regardless of the copper prices and we have a fairly healthy employment picture right now, so I don't see a downturn in prices for much longer. I do believe that there is some really strong activity now in Phoenix and Tucson and possibly parts of Florida compared to recent years and we tend to follow the other markets a little later. BTW, the poster who commented on the water shortage is not speaking from factual knowledge. Our water basin called the Mimbres Basin is a closed basin and Silver City and Deming have projected supplies for several decades. We also have some water rights that have yet to be utilized from the Gila-San Francisco Basin on the west side of the continental divide.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,250 times
Default do you really want to move to silver city nm?

I lived there. It is a mining town that shuts down every 3 to 5 years. Copper is heavy there and maybe in the water among other contaminates. Read effects of copper in the body. The mountians are beautiful. The Cat Walk and the Cliff Dwellings are great places to see. To live there, is to be a healer of some sort or a witch as there are more than 13 witch covenants there. Some businesses are ran by some witches. If your not a witch they will try their best to make you one and if not they will gossip about you to everybody. Gossip flies like wild fire and ruin you. The love affair rate is very high. Find a doctor out of town. Enbezzlement is high. If you try to do the right thing people start to hate you. Jealousy is high. It is turning in to a gay town. It has million dollar homes there. The schools are bad. They pass any one who can't read or write. Down to earth schools are best. To get a job, well they hire family first so fat chance if you get a job. Be self imployed or wealthy. The cops sell drugs to everyone. If you go eat out your food is prepared by drunks or worse. The college there is poor. My professor once told the class "If you really knew what went on at this place you would not have put your money in this place at all. Sad to see you sit here wasting your time. Get out and go build your future someplace else." YES! He was a socialology teacher that told us that. So many times I heard that people who had graduated from WNMU had to retake courses else where as the college WNMU is a low standard university. College there is to help the poor, for some to find a spouse or for the 3 that really get a good degree there. The clothing stores sell booty shorts and low cut tops, g string underwear for your 6 year old and all the girls dress like that. It is slutty looking and the rapes do happen there. 40 year old men get girls drunk. Pray for Silver City New Mexico is all I can say.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Somehow that description is not in most of the real estate advertizing. BTW - we did not notice any of the above when we were visiting.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
I live here and have not seen any of that.

Dang trolls, why do they always have to crawl out from under their rocks?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I live here and have not seen any of that.

Dang trolls, why do they always have to crawl out from under their rocks?
The copper industry, like oil and gas, sees boom and bust periods. It impacts the small communities that are most reliant on the boom times for paying the bills the most - Silver City being no exception. And like all such extraction industries, it involves toxic chemicals and polluting processes. So that part of the Silver City history is hard to deny.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

111 posts, read 181,216 times
The U.S. has the most stringent environmental regulations in the world. This is 2012, there are regulators checking everything and anything. They check soil, water, air e.t.c. constantly. I really don't understand this paranoia about the environment.It's almost become a religion for some, now, if I lived in China or India, I would be more concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico