U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM

15 posts, read 53,353 times
Default Info for Silver City...

We are headed west from the "Blue Tarp" state of Florida. We are going to be stopping in the area of Silver City. We have read about it but would like some insider info.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 04:08 PM

228 posts, read 490,103 times
What kind of information do you have in mind?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific

We are retired and looking to build a home in that area OR in Southern AZ.

So I guess taxes sales, property, permitting problems, hospital services, cultural activities.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Still sort of vague but I'll take a stab at it. My wife and I just returned from a trip to Silver City looking for property to eventually build a home. I'll spare you my impressions of the town and focus instead on your questions.

Sales taxes I believe are 5%. Food and prescription drugs are exempt though.

Property - Wow! There's such a wide variety of available properties that it's almost impossible to cover them all. These range from 240 plus acre ranches to small city lots and just about everything between. There are a couple of developments scattered about but nothing like the many tract developments you'll find in larger metropolitan areas. The 10 acre parcels in Wind Canyon Estates were nice but only a few remain available for purchase. Dos Griegos is a popular area closer to town with smaller lots. The contrast in topography between the North and South part of town is interesting. The former being higher in elevation and having more greenery.

Permitting - By far less troublesome than large metropolitan areas. I don't know what Silver City itself requires but applications for the unincorporated areas go to the State of New Mexico instead of the County. Basically you agree to build according to some standards required by the State. Inspections are basically when and if they have the time or resources to do them.

Hospital - One in the North part of town. Google it for more info. Seems to be a nice facility looking at from the outside.

Cultural Activities - Again, Google for this. There are plenty of things to do in the area IMO with an extra bonus if you like outside activities like hiking, etc. The downtown area is fun to walk around.

I know this isn't much but I hope it helps.
Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Well you were able to answer a few of the questions. I have googled a lot. I guess I was looking for insider info of someone that lives there.

We too are looking for property to build and acerage not just a lot. We are stopping in the area on our way west. Just wanna check out the area. I guess seeing is believing and we should judge for ourselves.

It also appears that Southern AZ could be a better choice in terms of all we are looking for.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 PM

savoy312 - What exactly are you trying to find? Where in Arizona do you plan to look?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 PM

51 posts, read 222,318 times
For what it's worth....my girlfriend and I lived in Sierra Vista, AZ for just a few months. We didn't like it AT ALL. Too much junk going on around the border issues. You couldn't go to Tucson without having to go through a check point--lots of illegal crossings in the area, lots of drugs, etc.....Then we moved to Silver City, NM. It was better but turns out we unknowingly moved into a drug infested neighborhood. We knew within 5 minutes of being there that the neighbor across the street was dealing, too obvious with all the traffic and "short" visits. We heard the police dept. was fixed and it sure appeared it must be. You'll probably be able to select a better neighborhood than we did. The pluses: Western NM University is there and has a wonderful library and cultural/learning opportunities. There is a good art scene happening. There is a great restaurant (Diane's--tell Diane Bruce says hello!) where I just happened to cook at when I was there. It is absolutely the best weather I've ever lived in. Gila National Forest is close. We were there a year before moving to Utah. There are some copper mines in the area and I suspect that recent copper prices have possibly produced a "boom" there but don't really know. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks Bruce...that is helpful info! What we were hoping was to buy some land to build on. Right now we are on a 3 month RV excursion around the US. Our intention is to come back thru Las Cruces and head up to Silver City and Pinos Altos and spend some time. I agree with you about Sierra Vista we have been there more than once and I just can't find anything appealing about the town.
Bruce if we do get to Diane's I will definitely tell her Hi from you.

Where are you in Utah?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,785,692 times
I agree with Brucep about the weather being best ....climate of Silver City is fantastic ...years ago I wrote away to their chamber of commerce and received alot of brochures touting their "four gentle seasons" ....I still have those brochures and I agree with their slogan....yes Silver City DOES enjoy for gentle seasons .....gentle meaning rarely too hot ...rarely too cold ....situated at 5900' above sea level in SW NM ...in the foot hills of the Pinos Altos range...more green looking than alot of areas in the Southwest...while not large it has most of the amenities people are looking for including a university ....here are 1971-2000 normals from Silver City-Whiskey Creek Airport....

JAN 53 24
FEB 57 27
MAR 62 30
APR 72 39
MAY 81 47
JUN 89 56
JUL 90 62
AUG 88 61
SEP 82 56
OCT 73 45
NOV 60 32
DEC 54 26

Silver City does get some snow in winter and a few hot days in summer but overall a very nice climate with four gentle seasons

Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,479,289 times
I am a professional musician and noted that there is a good art scene there. Is there any opportunity for musicians? I play fretless electric bass and tuba professionally. I play bass in a 'big band' at present, but would be happy to play jazz, classic rock, or whatever it takes. I've also googled Silver City a lot and find it to be just about perfect in most respects. It's a tossup between SC and Alamogordo so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico