Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM

107 posts, read 201,371 times

Advertisements

What's the terrain like where this critter was seen? Does it have a tail? I think we can rule out the elusive Hudspeth County wampuskitty until a cow comes up missing.

Or, could it be the jaguarundi ?

New Mexico Mammals field guide

Last edited by Radicat; 08-14-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
A couple other possibilities you don't see a lot but are out there...
collared peccary

Coatimundi

Ringtail cat

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
I'll be damned, I didn't know Coatimundis ranged this far north. We used to see
them a lot in Panama and always got a kick out of how they held those long
tails straight up.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM

79 posts, read 231,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
He saw it again this evening. It was on open ground, so it's much taller than he thought- about knee high. He also said it was obvious it was of the feline persuasion. So... knee high mottled gray cat... what color are y'all's bobcats out here? In TN they're tawny colored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
A couple other possibilities you don't see a lot but are out there...
collared peccary

Coatimundi

Ringtail cat
I'd rule out coati and ringtail (not really a cat, it's a member of the Family Procyonidae, or the family that has raccoons and coati in it) based on coati's known distribution in NM and the fact that the Moriarty area is fairly flat and featureless until you start approaching the Sandias and Manzanos where favorable rocky habitat exists for ringtails. BISON-M - Ringtail - Bassariscus astutus

I'd also rule out javelina (peccary) on the above description of "feline persuasion" by the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I'll be damned, I didn't know Coatimundis ranged this far north. We used to see
them a lot in Panama and always got a kick out of how they held those long
tails straight up.
They don't range this far north in NM, but they do occur in the bootheel region of the state within CAtron, Grant, Hidalgo, and possibly SW Luna Counties. BISON-M - Coati, White-nosed - Nasua narica and map: BISON-M - Species Map

The BISON-M website stands for Biota Information System Of New Mexico and is compiled by New Mexico Department of Game & Fish. The only place I've seen coati was a lone animal (odd in and of itself as they typically travel in troops) crossing a road in the Chiricahua Mountains of SE Arizona.

Going off the OP's first and 2nd descriptions I'd even possibly rule out badger. The "feline persuasion" has me leaning more to common gray fox, possibly swift fox (but doubtful). The gray fox, again, fits the feline-like description and being about knee high.

For giggles and grins, here's a badger a friend and I saw while out around Conchas Lake on the 12th.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsofNM View Post
I'd rule out coati and ringtail (not really a cat, it's a member of the Family Procyonidae, or the family that has raccoons and coati in it) based on coati's known distribution in NM and the fact that the Moriarty area is fairly flat and featureless until you start approaching the Sandias and Manzanos where favorable rocky habitat exists for ringtails. BISON-M - Ringtail - Bassariscus astutus

I'd also rule out javelina (peccary) on the above description of "feline persuasion" by the OP.

They don't range this far north in NM, but they do occur in the bootheel region of the state within CAtron, Grant, Hidalgo, and possibly SW Luna Counties. BISON-M - Coati, White-nosed - Nasua narica and map: BISON-M - Species Map

The BISON-M website stands for Biota Information System Of New Mexico and is compiled by New Mexico Department of Game & Fish. The only place I've seen coati was a lone animal (odd in and of itself as they typically travel in troops) crossing a road in the Chiricahua Mountains of SE Arizona.

Going off the OP's first and 2nd descriptions I'd even possibly rule out badger. The "feline persuasion" has me leaning more to common gray fox, possibly swift fox (but doubtful). The gray fox, again, fits the feline-like description and being about knee high.

For giggles and grins, here's a badger a friend and I saw while out around Conchas Lake on the 12th.
Boy he looks like a happy go lucky character::NO!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
I was seeing coyotes on a frequent basis when I rode my bicycle down this one road here in Ruidoso. So this particular day, I saw a coyote all poised to pounce on some critter that was in its hole - a mole or field mouse? The coyote wasn't more than 30 feet from the shoulder of the road as I passed, and so intent on that hole in the ground that it paid me no mind.

And as I passed on by, my mind said; "That is the healthiest looking coyote I can recall seeing." So I did a turn-around and made another pass and it wasn't until I had taken a really good look that I realized I had to be looking at a gray wolf! One of those released into the wild in southern NM, I feel sure. And a couple of days later our animal control officer confirmed for me that there had been several reports of a gray wolf in the area. Too bad I didn't have a camera along.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Hm, wouldn't think so. We're total plains grasslands here.There are mountains around, but we're talking miles away in Edgewood or even the Sandias. Totally flat, can see for a bazillion miles (not an exaggeration, btw).
So, old 'coons lose the mask? I've learned so many things about animals I didn't know on this thread!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 PM

If it has a tail, it's held at the same height as the body and isn't distinguishable (that looks to be spelled wrong). The first sighting was near the road and it was apparently in hunting mode and crouched. Seen in the field, it was just out for a stroll, I guess.

We took that road this afternoon (too wet this morning. The caliche tends to vary in consistancy out there in the rain- it's either gummy or super slick and you never know which one it is until you drive over it :0)

If only I can see this thing!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Greg's been told by a lifelong resident (and apparently a pretty dependable guy) that he works with that the animal in question is a bobcat and that darker versions do exist than we're used to. The guy also shared that a mountain lion was seen right across from the store there in Santa Rosa. Bet he helped clear out the lot lizards! lol

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Hm, wouldn't think so. We're total plains grasslands here.There are mountains around, but we're talking miles away in Edgewood or even the Sandias. Totally flat, can see for a bazillion miles (not an exaggeration, btw).
Rode the bike through Mountainair, Willard, Estancia and Moriarity Sunday...

You ain't kiddin' about "flat".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico