U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM

2,192 posts, read 2,881,304 times
We moved to Las Cruces from MA a few weeks ago. Poor DD got a bad deal out of this move summer vacation-wise! Her last day of school in MA was June 23, and she starts school this Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:15 PM

1,752 posts, read 2,158,467 times
Rybert- Moriarty. I had to draw a map to the house because they couldn't find us on a map, lol!
Towanda- nope. :0( TN went back Wednesday, I think. It seems to me that most districts are trying to edge closer and closer to year round school.

A little update... the kids liked the pizza and the Xtreme burrito is on Tuesday's menu. My high schooler's list is smaller than the little kids and her only fees are 20 for woodshop (ah, the glories of being one of the last kids to make a schedule. Woodshop or Chorus. And since she can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid and a lock.......) 20 for something called yearbook camp that happens in Abq. and um, 26 bucks for a cat. For anatomy. I forget if that's the pregnant cat price or not. Ew. I think i'm gonna hurl. Frogs and rats are one thing, we don't HAVE those as pets.

Aw, bless her heart, Lawmom. Was the June 23 a normal timeframe or was it weather related? In TN the kids were sometimes delayed as much as two weeks. They're given a 10 built in weather days, but sometimes we exceeded them.

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,641,786 times
A cat? I thought they used fetal pigs, but I guess times change.

I did human cadaver lab at UNM. So glad we did not have to work on cats.

I think my husband had to do an advanced prehospital trauma life support class using goats.

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Apparently. The teacher said if she didn't hurry, they'd be all sold out of cats and have to use rats. (Um, darn it?)

I'm lol'ing at your happiness to cut into an ole human and not a furry, cuddly cat. Sorta reinforces the adage "The more I see of people, the more I like my cat."
Goats, huh? Do they resemble humans interally? Or was it more a size thing?

Unread 08-15-2009, 12:53 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,881,304 times
Boy, things are different now. My parents did not have ot pay for the fetal pig I had in 9th grade or the cat in AP bio in 11th. Geesh.

RR -- yes, there were more snow days than were allotted, so the kids went a few days extra.

Unread 08-15-2009, 10:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,641,786 times
I think the goats was a size thing? but I am not sure. They were practicing things like tracheotomy, etc...

I worked as a work study student in the anatomy dept my first year at UNM. I did office work and part of that was the body donor program. I guess it got me used to the whole idea of it, plus I learned how it all worked and how respectful every one was every step of the way from donation to cremation after the bio and med students anatomy labs were done.

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,827,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
A cat? I thought they used fetal pigs, but I guess times change.

I did human cadaver lab at UNM. So glad we did not have to work on cats.

I think my husband had to do an advanced prehospital trauma life support class using goats.
Moriarty Grad here...

We used Cats in Anatomy (yes, we had to boil them ourselves... eeeewww).

Fetal Pigs for Biology.

Unread 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Er......boil?

Unread 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,827,906 times
Yes. They'll probably be reconstructing the skeleton. You need to boil the meat off first. Pretty gross.

Unread 08-19-2009, 06:55 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,493,170 times
Here's a "first day of school" article from today's Ruidoso News editorial page (9/19).
Quote:
Schools need time to deal with new features

Not unexpectedly, the opening of the 2009-10 school year in Ruidoso got off to somewhat of a halting start. But that's because the district is working out the kinks within a couple of transformative changes: a new facility for the middle school, and a dress code for the high school.
The middle school campus is a vast improvement over the previous facility, with self-contained camps for each grade and modern lighting and ventilation systems.
But, until the back road from Gavilan Canyon can be built, traffic will be a headache at the beginning and end of the school day. Money, or the lack of it, is one roadblock, and until funding is secured, stopgap solutions will require time and patience.
At RHS, the new dress code was amended after just one day. Seems when you tell students not only what to wear but how to wear it, well - kids will be kids, and they'll test the limits.
As to whether the code is a good idea or not, let's give it time to play out. We'll see how all parties feel after they've had a chance to get accustomed to it.
Again, patience is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico