U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 57,164 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few Scandinavian Americans here in NM but haven't found them. Hope to connect with others who share this heritage and especially with women who might be interested is starting an informal meeting group.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM

6,818 posts, read 7,053,346 times
I'm a Norwegian-American. My nephews call my mom, bestemor. There is (or was) a Scandinavian club in Albuquerque but I don't know how active they are (were). I think they are mostly Swedes. I know a couple of young women who are of Norwegian descent here in town and one older woman (the owner of the business I work for).

ABQConvict

Last edited by ABQConvict; 08-15-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 05:21 PM

17,496 posts, read 18,608,645 times
"The Scandinavian Club of Albuquerque was organized in 1973 for the purpose of fostering an interest in Scandinavian life and culture; spreading knowledge of Scandinavian history, literature, and the arts by means of activities and programs"

Visit their web site: Scandinavian Club of Albuquerque

Rich

Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 PM

6,818 posts, read 7,053,346 times
Thanks for the link, Rich.

When I first 'discovered' the Scandinavian club I was about 18-19 years old and most of the members that I saw were in the 50-70 range so I didn't have much interest (in joining the club, not my ethnic heritage).

Now I'm getting up there myself :-0

ABQConvict

Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,312,820 times
I have Danish blood in me, but that is about all I know about the culture.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 AM

556 posts, read 1,594,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Thanks for the link, Rich.

When I first 'discovered' the Scandinavian club I was about 18-19 years old and most of the members that I saw were in the 50-70 range so I didn't have much interest (in joining the club, not my ethnic heritage).

Now I'm getting up there myself :-0

ABQConvict
Had seen your name on City-Data but had no idea that you're a Scandihuvian! Yes, I now about the existence of the Scandinavian Club. Had contacted them and believe they still have meetings but they are late Friday evening which is very inconvenient for us who live 3 hours away. Wanted to attend their annual Julefest dinner at Christmas time expecting they would serve the traditional lutefisk (meatballs, too, for those who just can't handle the lutefisk thing) but NO lutefisk on the menu! Uff da! I'm Norwegian Swedish. Hubby, Hunter Wold on here, is Norwegian-Danish. Having moved first from my home state of Minnesota and then to Seattle where there are lots of Scandinavian activities, missing that down here.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I have Danish blood in me, but that is about all I know about the culture.

Have a interest in learning more about your Danish ancestry? Know any other women of Scandinavian ancestry or who are married to men of Scandinavian background?

In WA State I joined the Daughters of Norway which is an organization which preserves and teaches the traditions of Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Finns, and Icelandic folks. Wondering if there are enough women interested in starting an informal interest group and perhaps later a real DofN Lodge in NM.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Anyone interested in a Social Group here on City-Data for Scandinavian Americans? I'm willing to start and moderate it if anyone wants one.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,312,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Have a interest in learning more about your Danish ancestry? Know any other women of Scandinavian ancestry or who are married to men of Scandinavian background?

In WA State I joined the Daughters of Norway which is an organization which preserves and teaches the traditions of Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Finns, and Icelandic folks. Wondering if there are enough women interested in starting an informal interest group and perhaps later a real DofN Lodge in NM.
I would love to know more about my great grandfather who came here from Denmark...but any genealogical searching we have done ended with him. We've tried many different name variations, and always hit a dead end. Thinking maybe he changed him name completely. And the Danish genealogical sites are useless unless you read the language. I basically gave up on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 AM

96 posts, read 57,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I would love to know more about my great grandfather who came here from Denmark...but any genealogical searching we have done ended with him. We've tried many different name variations, and always hit a dead end. Thinking maybe he changed him name completely. And the Danish genealogical sites are useless unless you read the language. I basically gave up on it.
AlisonL, a person experienced in Scandinavian geneology should be able to help you. Don't know if there's anyone like that down here. I had a friend in a Daughters of Norway Lodge who loved to do Scandinavian geneology research for lodge members so she had some online contacts over there. In 2 hours she provided me with 400 years of my family history, complete with names and dates. When my Norwegian great grandparents emigrated to the US, like many Scandinavians, they adopted the name of the farm they had lived on in Scandinavia as their surname. Another possibility for you is that your emigrant ancestors changed their names upon arrival in the US. If you join Ancestry.com with the deluxe membership which includes access to international records or know some someone who has the membership, it might be worth doing more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico