U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,252,650 times
To clarify, we're paying $600 less in rent per month, not $600 total!! But yes, ABQ is more expensive than LC, no question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,616,796 times
I'm just wondering what the OP meant by "desert". There is a lot of variation there. I wouldn't mind living in the higher parts of it where it isn't very hot in summer. I'm a musician too, and the idea is appealing, although I would prefer being in or near mountains. An underground house would be perfect, and it would keep nearly all the sound contained. I also like astronomy, so living away from a bunch of lights would be great too.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,370,953 times
There is plenty of high desert and wide open spaces in NM...

EDIT: My ideal scenario would be a 10+ acre place in the boonies, ~1hr from a serviceable town, 6-7k feet elevation in the southern part of the state. I'd build a little passive solar hovel, with solar electric, and a sat for internet. I don't mind conserving water, and catching it off the roof, or hauling it if necessary. Unfortunately this doesn't sound appealing to the wife...

Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,773,454 times
To be quite honest, the high desert isn't exactly a cooler place. In Sierra County this summer so far, temps topped 103 degrees fahrenheight, and Dona Ana County was a bit worse, 105. And, end of summer isn't over yet either.

To try staying cool in this environment, you'll need both a swamp cooler and a air conditioner, because swamp coolers are really ineffective on humid days.

I think the best thing the op could do is browse the internet, and pick up local newspapers from cities like socorro, truth or consequences, hatch, arrey, and so forth. There are some fantastic properties for sale in kingston and hillsboro, and are priced accordingly starting at about $150K.

Best be careful how much he "cranks it up" because some small town dwellers may not appreciate it. But, most villages and towns have a noise law in effect from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., and I guess between those hours is usually observed as quiet time, otherwise, a person could legally make as much noise as they wished during the daytime.

rruff, there was some land available bordering the Cibola National Forest not too long ago for sale, it was in the Sierra County Sentinel. It was very reasonably priced too. Not too awful far from Interstate 25, and about 1.5 hours drive of Socorro or T or C.
(MORTGAGEE SHORT [/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]SALE 40 ac - $24,900. Under 2 hours - Albuquerque. Beautiful 40 acres in Cibola National Forest area selling below mortgagee balance and well below sales price. Only one available. Gor-geous land and views, beautiful topography call NMLR 1-866-979-6220)

I know a Dr. Murphy in Deming who is a desert dweller, when he isn't doctoring, he is in a sleeping bag out in the middle of it at night.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM

6,416 posts, read 6,624,738 times
The high-desert is indeed a hot place, you really need to be close to some mountains to get the cooling, downslope winds. This is why the Albuquerque foothills and east mountain area are considerably cooler than areas nearby that are only slightly lower in elevation.

Incidentally, I survived without any form of A/C (swamp or refrig.) so far this summer in a frame house (i.e. poorly insulated from heat) although I'm in Albuquerque where I think my neighborhood only hit 100 once this year. We did have a couple of runs of 98 degree days, though.

Caveat: I did use fans to blow cool night air into my bedroom and a couple of times I used a wet towel over me to fall asleep.

It is doable but I think the temps this summer were my practical limit. The main consideration was that I had to go to work in the morning. If I were a farmer or had an occupation where I could make my own hours, it would have been easier because I could tailor my sleeping patterns to best advantage of the actual environment instead of trying to sleep when my house was literally at its hottest and on my way to work in the morning when conditions are best for restful sleep. In semi-arid environments, the hours between 2am and 10am are best for sleep perhaps with a brief nap just before the hottest part of the day ~3-4pm. Interestingly, Mediterranean people have been doing this for millenia.

Something to consider for anyone wanting to live in the middle-of-nowhere in the desert.

ABQConvict

Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM

97 posts, read 108,152 times
I agree with TigerLily. Around T or C and the Las Cruces area, like maybe Hatch or Rincon or even Deming would fit your needs. The least expensive area of New Mexico with the exception of eastern New Mexico but nobody wants to be there. The Santa Fe and Taos areas are as expensive as living in Beverly Hills, California.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 AM

33,275 posts, read 27,552,144 times
Hillsborough, Winston, Chloride or Montecello. All near the major metropolis of T or C.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 3,321 times
I was looking thru rentals.....buddy holly started in las cruces. There is a rec studio there. I play myself...nirvana, ozzy, have played gigs...solo. Been with a band or 2. Oh the name is wes ross, want to get something started again. Randy rhodes is my mentor. I am stevie ray vaughn's 3rd blood cousin...but i don't play his stuff. Write and play some of my own music too. Wife is typing this to ya as i am playing rt now...les paul electric...we are in amarillo, tx for now. Still have my grandpa's amp...line 6, etc. It will probably take 2 months before i can move there.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,321 times
Major crime i heard in albuquerque....i heard. Need to watch l/c some i hear too. Yeah deming etc is cheap....but i want to be seen and heard so it is las cruces i think

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM

6,979 posts, read 2,341,260 times
Go to Columbus. They have openings for mayor, and village council. You can do pretty much whatever you want there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico