U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,138 times

Advertisements

I've had a voice calling me for some time now about moving out to the desert mainly New Mexico.

I am a studio musician / dj (Dubstep and Techno), and want somewhere CHEAP to RENT & set up and be loud, maybe get a small job doing some random work for extra money. But it does have to be cheap and RENTABLE!

I'd love to find a really small town, flat with wide open spaces. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might start looking ? I'm not familiar at all with the desert and the surrounding santa fe / albq. area.

Last edited by M.Rathbun; 08-25-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,421,128 times
My first instinct says east of Moriarty but I am not sure if land is available out there. Its certainly flat, wide open, and extremely low population.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,451,449 times
Since your a musician I would think somewhere around Cruces would be your best bet. Then you would have audiences in both Cruces and El Paso since they both have universities. Radium Springs?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,857,233 times
I watched a documentary sometime back about an "alternative culture" that has established itself on public lands somewhere west of Taos. People living there remind me of leftovers from the Hippy commune era, and I think some of them claim to have been living "off the grid" since that time.

You can view the hour-long movie on this web site:

Life On the Mesa - Living Off the Grid

It starts out with some off-putting rowdy types, but soon settles into the warmer human characters who populate the desert mesa area. It's never identified exactly, but a bit of research found that it's in the area to the west of Taos.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM

I'd still want technology and a local grocer. Just want to get away for a year or so and live with no one around so I can create in my studio as loud as I want

Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,480,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Rathbun View Post
I'd still want technology and a local grocer. Just want to get away for a year or so and live with no one around so I can create in my studio as loud as I want
Realistically you will need to be a mile or so away from the nearest other house if you wish to not be a bother... or build a sound-proof room, use headphones, etc.

Of course you can be a mile away from your nearest neighbor, but the odds of also getting electricity and a local grocer will be low.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Realistically you will need to be a mile or so away from the nearest other house if you wish to not be a bother... or build a sound-proof room, use headphones, etc.

Of course you can be a mile away from your nearest neighbor, but the odds of also getting electricity and a local grocer will be low.

Let's narrow it down then, how about 1/2 miles from the nearest neighbor w/electricity and a grocer within 10-15 miles ?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,473,923 times
Define "grocer". A gas station with a few brown bananas, maybe, if you're lucky.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 AM

17,656 posts, read 19,078,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Rathbun View Post
I've had a voice calling me for some time now about moving out to the desert mainly New Mexico.
I just have to ask if you have ever been to New Mexico or lived in the desert?

I'm not sure if you are going to find what your looking for.

The Santa Fe area, is pretty expensive to begin with.

The ABQ area is the largest populated area in New Mexico. You might have to go elsewhere.

Rich

Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

14,163 posts, read 7,330,391 times
Maybe outside T or C and/or along the southern I-25 corridor (Las Cruces, Dona Ana, etc.)
Most likely they would be manufactured homes but certainly they can be found.
Something else you need to consider is what other needs do you have? Do you need broadband internet? Expect city services or are septic, well water and personal trips to the dump okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico