Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

for New Mexico. As some of you know we live in Alamogordo and have been in NM for the last 9 yrs. We have lived in Alamo, Silver City and Carlsbad. My hubby works for the federal gov't and he recently got chosen for a 6 month detail to DC, the kids and I came with him. I was very worried about my kids being behind in school since NOVA rates so high on test scores but happily they are not behind if anything they are either spot on or alittle bit more advanced.

NM also rates high on friendliness, the people in NOVA for the most part where we are staying are rather unfriendly due in part I suspect to such busy lives and horrendous traffic and cost of living. We have been here for going on 3 wks and I think maybe 3 people in the elevator have acknowledged our exisistence. I miss my Super Walmart and affordable groceries, that wonderful smell after the rain and those beautiful sunsets. I am grateful we have had a chance to experience NOVA without a permanent move, still don't know if hubby will want to make this a permanent move or not but if it were up to me when our detail was over I would just come back to NM to stay. So I apologize for complaining about NM, and it is true that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
for New Mexico. As some of you know we live in Alamogordo and have been in NM for the last 9 yrs. We have lived in Alamo, Silver City and Carlsbad. My hubby works for the federal gov't and he recently got chosen for a 6 month detail to DC, the kids and I came with him. I was very worried about my kids being behind in school since NOVA rates so high on test scores but happily they are not behind if anything they are either spot on or alittle bit more advanced.

NM also rates high on friendliness, the people in NOVA for the most part where we are staying are rather unfriendly due in part I suspect to such busy lives and horrendous traffic and cost of living. We have been here for going on 3 wks and I think maybe 3 people in the elevator have acknowledged our exisistence. I miss my Super Walmart and affordable groceries, that wonderful smell after the rain and those beautiful sunsets. I am grateful we have had a chance to experience NOVA without a permanent move, still don't know if hubby will want to make this a permanent move or not but if it were up to me when our detail was over I would just come back to NM to stay. So I apologize for complaining about NM, and it is true that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
My father used to call that the $1,000 cure (back when $1,000 was a lot of money). He met many east coasters on the faculty at NMSU, and they whined about NM during their stay, but once they moved back to the east coast, they came to appreciate NM much more (the cure).

Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Sounds like a little bit of culture shock going on. Do I ever hear you about the traffic--and the wall-to-wall people. It's NOTHING like the wide-open spaces out here and in Texas. I guess we take the frlendliness that we're used to for granted!

I think it's good you get to experience a really different way of life, but like you, I was really, really, really glad to get back to West Texas/New Mexico. There is nothing like it!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Sounds like a little bit of culture shock going on. Do I ever hear you about the traffic--and the wall-to-wall people. It's NOTHING like the wide-open spaces out here and in Texas. I guess we take the frlendliness that we're used to for granted!

I think it's good you get to experience a really different way of life, but like you, I was really, really, really glad to get back to West Texas/New Mexico. There is nothing like it!

Yeah being from Tx and then living in NM didn't prepare me for the unfriendliness here. I do think alot has to do with where we are staying right now, right in the hub of wall to wall apartments and young professionals. My boys are going bonkers and are actually ready for school to start next week. This weekend we went out to the ares where we would actually be living if we decide to come here and the people seemed alot more personable there than here. They didn't seem quite as stressed and you actually saw some smiling faces.

I am also not used to the elitism that seems to run rampant here almost bordering on racism. I grew up around hispanics and to read some of the posts on the NOVA board and peoples misconceptions just strikes me as weird considering this is probably one of the most diverse areas in the US. You would think there would be more tolerance. Peoples obsessions with test scores and making sure their kids go to the best schools with the least amount of diversity is strange too. They would be in shock if they had to move to a town with only one high school.

The not so funny thing was when I registered my oldest for hs, the counselor assumed he was fluent in spanish because we were from NM. I hear more spanish spoken here than I do in Alamo.

So yep, probably seeing a big culture shock reaction here. Thinking I want to keep my fingers crossed that hubby doesn't get a permanent job here. The promotion would be great money wise and for our retirement but not to sure if what we would have to put up with would balance it out.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

Let me step in here, we have lived in NOVA and NM. Both have positives. You miss the smell or the rain, but wait for about 6 or 8 more weeks and see the beauty of the fall colors. Think about the experience your kids are getting seeing for themselves the history of our country and as for friendliness, it sounds like you live in an apartment or condo. That could count for the lack of friendliness as most burbs are very family oriented. As for afordable groceries, we have lived all over the country and haven't found food much different in price. What is cheaper in AR is more in NM, what is cheaper in NM is higher in Texas, etc.

Just give it time, both NM and VA have so much to offer. If you let yourself being miserable your husband and kids will be as well. Enjoy this experience.

You are certainly right, not always is the grass greener on the other side, and I love New Mexico. Many things we still miss after 15 months of being here, many things about D.C. we miss after 20 years.

I hope everything works out for you.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head, Cathy. What a total culture shock after living in So New Mexico, not to mention the cost of living in comparison.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 AM

So yep, probably seeing a big culture shock reaction here. Thinking I want to keep my fingers crossed that hubby doesn't get a permanent job here. The promotion would be great money wise and for our retirement but not to sure if what we would have to put up with would balance it out.

Huge consideration for sure. I guess you'll just have to see how you feel in 6 months. You will have a lot of things to see and do between now and then, so things could change again.

If I were in your shoes, whether the money would make it worthwhile for a permanent job would depend on how long I had to retirement and could go elsewhere if I wanted.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head, Cathy. What a total culture shock after living in So New Mexico, not to mention the cost of living in comparison.

Nita
The prices were a shocker for sure. Made TX look cheap by comparison.

That area in VA is also probably one of the most expensive nationwide, near the top! Beautiful, beautiful place, but the oppressive humidity nearly killed me.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let me step in here, we have lived in NOVA and NM. Both have positives. You miss the smell or the rain, but wait for about 6 or 8 more weeks and see the beauty of the fall colors. Think about the experience your kids are getting seeing for themselves the history of our country and as for friendliness, it sounds like you live in an apartment or condo. That could count for the lack of friendliness as most burbs are very family oriented. As for afordable groceries, we have lived all over the country and haven't found food much different in price. What is cheaper in AR is more in NM, what is cheaper in NM is higher in Texas, etc.

Just give it time, both NM and VA have so much to offer. If you let yourself being miserable your husband and kids will be as well. Enjoy this experience.

You are certainly right, not always is the grass greener on the other side, and I love New Mexico. Many things we still miss after 15 months of being here, many things about D.C. we miss after 20 years.

I hope everything works out for you.

Nita

Thanks for the encouraging words, alot of both mine and the boys is not having any of "our stuff" with us. We are here on detail so all we brought was a few personal things and clothes. We are not in our own beds, not with our dogs and apartment living is definately hard on the kids. Three boys need lots of room. I think it would be much different if we were in our own place with our own belongs.

I am looking forward to the leaves changing and experiencing fall where the leaves actually change instead of just pine trees. LOL

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Huge consideration for sure. I guess you'll just have to see how you feel in 6 months. You will have a lot of things to see and do between now and then, so things could change again.

If I were in your shoes, whether the money would make it worthwhile for a permanent job would depend on how long I had to retirement and could go elsewhere if I wanted.
My hubby keeps saying if we moved here it wouldn't have to be forever and could possibly make it easier to go where we really want to be. He can retire in 4 yrs and has to retire in 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico