Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite kind of Chile??!
Chimayo Chile (Chili) 4 16.67%
Hatch Chile (Chili) 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times

Advertisements

I understand. I like sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM

108 posts, read 378,702 times
The Chimayo strain chile, also dries very easily for storage due to the thin meat.
I am trying to make Pasado out of a Sandia style chile right now - and it is a completely
different animal to get to dry. The Chimayo red for ristra is maturing very slow due to the
cool damp weather.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Nahuatls didn't use our alphabet, so how do we really know?
You speak of Nahuatl in the past tense, but it's in use daily by hundreds of thousands of people in Mexico even today. Nahuatl was written in
"our alphabet", shortly after the conquest, and though it's use has been repressed, and thus declined, prose, poetry, historical and legal texts are available today and still written by users of that language. There are over 60 Native American languages still spoken in Mexico, by the way.
Various Aztec and Mixtec codices written in an earlier pictographic form were annotated in Spanish and Nahuatl written using "our alphabet", and as a recently recognized National Language of Mexico it is written commonly and for many purposes. The accepted spelling for the word chilli is with an "i", though changes in the admittedly fluid orthography of Nahuatl may change that in the future.
A couple other common words are: Tomato (tomatl), coyote (coyotl), avocado (ahuacatl), tamale (tamalli) and cocoa (cacahuatl).
All this doesn't change the chili/chile issue...only adds an interesting side note to it. I think chile is the vegetable/fruit/spice and the sauce as it's known in New Mexico. Chili, to me, is the meat and bean-or-no-bean concoction that one finds in Texas and throughout the country in so many forms. So there..lol.

In Cinncinnati, Ohio you'll find one of the most bizarre, IMHO, forms of chili. It has Greek overtones (think cinnamon and thyme) and can be served on hot dogs (the Coney dog) or more commonly with spaghetti, onions, cheese, beans and sometimes oyster crackers (?). How that all ended up on the same plate is beyond me......but that's the wonderful world of chow.
I've eaten it many times, have friends who love it, but there is little in common with what New Mexicans think of as chile or chili.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I love Cincinnati chili! Skyline to be specific.

ABQConvict

Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
I have had Cincinnati chili before, and I like it.

It's not my first choice in chili, but it's different and good.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
It's tasty, for sure, but so very different than anything you'd see in the Southwest.
I wonder what a table full of New Mexicans would think about servings of Skyline 5 way chili set in front of them.....now THAT would be culture shock Would be fun.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,535 times
For green Hatch, but for red nothing beats Chimayo especially the new heritage seeds they have been planting the last couple or years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico