U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM

391 posts, read 560,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest concentrating on seeing more and driving less. Spend a day or more in Albuquerque. Definitely take the Tram at sunset. Then drive to Santa Fe along the Turquoise Trail. Spend the rest of the day in Santa Fe. On day three drive the Enchanted Circle and finish off in Chama. Then drive to Farmington and on to Durango the last day.

I don’t live in New Mexico yet but this is one of the trips I have planned. It would allow us to take the Cumbres and Toltec train on one day and the Durango and Silverton a couple of days later.

IMHO the Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlases are superior for the western states. I have both.
Gregg, I agree with you. Otherwise they will spend their entire vacation driving and see nothing. Even Albuq to Santa Fe then to the Four Corners and up to Durango. Much too much driving for one trip if they travel those routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM

391 posts, read 560,888 times
I think some of the driving times suggested here are at about 90-100 MPH!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM

79 posts, read 125,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
I think some of the driving times suggested here are at about 90-100 MPH!
If you're implying my times, negative. Though I have done those same trips at 80-90mph. The times I quoted, especially the ABQ to Alamogordo and Alamogordo/Las Cruces to Carlsbad (either through Cloudcroft or through El Paso) were done both on my own time in 2004 driving posted speed limit out of curiosity of which route was faster (both are about the same time give or take 15 minutes) and were later done at the dime of the City of Las Cruces in 2007 and 2008. Being in a City vehicle I actually drove either at posted or 5 under! I did the Alamo to ABQ trip so many times between 1996-2000 (when I was in high school traveling for Cross Country or Baseball) that I can probably do the trip about 95% of the way blind-folded with confidense - coupled with driving it personally.

Furthermore, my truck has been acting funny (up until today after going to Rich Ford AFTER I'd done everything I could think of or had the tools to do) since late 2007. I've made the trip from Lost Causes to ABQ/Los Alamos god knows how many times between then and since moving to ABQ in June. Due to not knowing what was specifically wrong I would do posted or under the limit; gambling on catastrophic failure odds, thankfully it never happened and I'm now fixed and good to go.

FWIW, back when I'd do 80-90, or above, was when I had a vehicle that didn't have cruise control and would develop lead foot syndrome knowingly or unknowingly. Since 2005 I've had a vehicle with cruise and it's SOOO much easier to do posted speed limit. Not that I'm trying to justify a means to my former vehicularly illegal activities, and not to say that I didn't get caught at times either!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 PM

57 posts, read 91,381 times
Thanks all, looking forward to trip.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,169,787 times
Be sure to come back and post afterwards, and tell us where you went, and how you liked everything!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 AM

33,431 posts, read 28,074,368 times
Yeah, do that, please. I want to do this trip myself someday.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,762,708 times
For those reading this thread and anticipating a similar trip, I used the Google Maps feature to find the "driving" distances between Alamogordo and Carlsbad Caverns:

Via El Paso, total distance = 211 miles

Via Artesia/Carlsbad, total distance = 169 miles

From the town of Carlsbad to the Caverns is 20 miles.
Going via El Paso, one also passes through Guadalupe Mtns. NATIONAL PARK.
Both Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mtns. cannot be done justice in less than a day's visit to either one, IMO.

White Sands National Monument would add another 15 or so miles to either distance (via).

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

60 posts, read 94,113 times
If you are considering going to AZ then without a doubt Monument Valley is a must see if you are nearby. You could add a trip to Moab on your way to Durango. Of course there is the Grand Canyon too. Time is your enemy...

Carlsbad Caverns takes awhile to see, 1/2 a day
White Sands and hour or two.
Monument Valley 2-3 hours
Moab - 1 day
Grand Canyon 1/2 a day

You could do Carlsbad in one day. And then spend 3 days in N. AZ & S. UT.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,181,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffohray View Post
If you are considering going to AZ then without a doubt Monument Valley is a must see if you are nearby. You could add a trip to Moab on your way to Durango. Of course there is the Grand Canyon too. Time is your enemy...

Carlsbad Caverns takes awhile to see, 1/2 a day
White Sands and hour or two.
Monument Valley 2-3 hours
Moab - 1 day
Grand Canyon 1/2 a day

You could do Carlsbad in one day. And then spend 3 days in N. AZ & S. UT.
I was just at the caverns, and I want to say that you could spend multiple days there. I think there were over 8 hikes available besides the standard 2 hikes that come with the admission price. I never realized how simultaneously massive and intriguing this place was until I visited it. It's a shame your ultimate destination is Durango from ABQ, because it is so out of the way for you, but any future company we have will be treated to a trip to the Caverns. They are that special, at least to me.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

13,116 posts, read 11,950,676 times
Mike 0421 is right. I've posted before on Carlsbad Caverns, but it's been some time ago. With the exception of the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns in my opinion is the most amazing piece of real estate in the United states, most certainly in the Southwest. I had company come in from Omaha a few months ago, took them to the Caverns (I've been there several times previously), and they were just speechless when they got in. The bat flight at dusk is quite a sight as well!

There is adequate and affordable lodging in Carlsbad on the south end of Canal St. (the main drag). Like Mike said, give a thought about a trip there. Late Fall is a good time to go, the temps there are still in the 70's through October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico