U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,865,263 times

Advertisements

It's been decided - for this year anyway - which restaurant in NM makes the best:
Quote:
It's been decided who has the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico.

Badlands Burgers, a restaurant in Grants, cooked up the best burger Tuesday afternoon at the state fairgrounds as part of Gov. Bill Richardson's Green Chile Cheeseburger Challenge. Badlands Burgers beat out 19 other contestants.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,553,836 times
What I find curious about this article is that the participants seem to be from one specific geographical area of the state. I wonder if some of the old pros, such as Buckhorn, the Outpost, Owl, Dicks, Bobcat Bite, etc, didn't even bother because they didn't have to.

Being someone who doesn't know ABQ very well, I have to say I've never heard of most of these places.

The other contestants:

300 Club (Holiday Bowl, Albuquerque)
Airport Grille (Alamogordo)
Ancient Way Cafe (Ramah)
Badlands Burgers (Grants)
Bibo Bar & Grille (Seboyeta)
Burger Boy (Cedar Crest)
Chef Damon’s Restaurant (Taos)
Chef’s Bistro (Albuquerque)
Circle T Restaurant (Belen)
Don’s Chuck Wagon (Blanco)
El Pinto Restaurant (Albuquerque)
Embudo Station (Embudo)
Fat Sat’s Bar & Grill (Belen)
Home of the Laguna Burger (Laguna Superette, Laguna)
Independence Grill (Albuquerque)
Katrinah’s East Mountain Grill (Edgewood)
Monte Carlo Steakhouse (Albuquerque)
O’Niell’s Pub (Albuquerque)
Paso Monte Grill (Alto)
Sheepherder’s Café (Albuquerque)

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

33,875 posts, read 29,391,005 times
I still credit Manny's Buckhorn Saloon in San Antonio as having the Best GCC I have ever tasted.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,865,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder if some of the old pros, such as Buckhorn, the Outpost, Owl, Dicks, Bobcat Bite, etc, didn't even bother because they didn't have to.
I wondered that myself. I know of the places you mention - by name if not by actually having eaten there. I know none of the places - even by name - on the published list of entrants.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,939,681 times
I know of one place here that makes FANTASTIC Green Chile Cheeseburgers, pity they didn't enter.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,428,364 times
There's no point for Bobby's Buckhorn (Manny passed) to enter such a competition. There is nothing to gain and much to lose.

Kinda like a boxing champ who retires undefeated. At least he's still selling them to the public.

As far as the geographical distribution, I'd say in part it's cultural (they do eat GCC's statewide, but, not the extent central/northern NM does), and the NM state fair is actually not the only NM state fair.

There is an Eastern NM State Fair in Roswell, and a Southern NM State Fair in Las Cruces.

Ironically enough, there is little in the way of Green Chile that doesn't come from those two regions, as opposed to central NM.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,553,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
There's no point for Bobby's Buckhorn (Manny passed) to enter such a competition. There is nothing to gain and much to lose.

Kinda like a boxing champ who retires undefeated. At least he's still selling them to the public.

As far as the geographical distribution, I'd say in part it's cultural (they do eat GCC's statewide, but, not the extent central/northern NM does), and the NM state fair is actually not the only NM state fair.
There is an Eastern NM State Fair in Roswell, and a Southern NM State Fair in Las Cruces.

Ironically enough, there is little in the way of Green Chile that doesn't come from those two regions, as opposed to central NM.
I live in Southern NM, and I would say that eating green chile cheeseburgers here is practically a religion. I guess it's because I've never lived in the northern area of the state that I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,223,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
It's been decided - for this year anyway - which restaurant in NM makes the best:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

I think what's been decided (given the lack of entries from all over the state) is which restaurant in NM makes the best GCC at the state fair.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM

41 posts, read 64,657 times
I have to say...I was just at the Outpost last weekend and I think it's still one of the best around. Had to get some cherry cider while I was in town too. That's good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico