Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 PM

54 posts, read 320,657 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm trying not to fall in love with one area of NM (like Ruidoso)lol~ so, I would like to know where the folks that live or have lived in New Mexico would live in said state, if you had nothing to hold you back from living there. Sorry, that was long-winded Such a diverse group and such lively debates on this forum make me think whatever else you can say about NM it wouldn't be boring!! I think this may be helpful to those of us looking to relocate..I hope! Thanks!

Last edited by Lowcountry Girl; 07-17-2006 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
lived in Carlsbad for a short time. i love NM but nowhere near as much as i love TX...but then again, anything looks good after being misplaced here in GA for the past few years..........

Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
hey lowcountry girl..i am stuck in the lowcountry too........i have been to alamagordo and ruidoso........i would choose alamagordo for sure......cant wait to get out of this humidity? how bout you?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,648 times
I travel all over NM and for me I cannot get the Ruidoso area out of my system. If we do get back to the area we will probably buy a few acres out near Loma Grande.

Placitas is a very nice place.
Several nice areas in Albuquerque. (north valley, the far ne heights seems nice)

Some nice pockets in rio rancho ( not my cup of tea though).

I lived in farmington when I was younger and always liked the area.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
If I could live in any place in NM without regard to career or costs, it would be Red River area, Pecos area, Silver City, Santa Fe or Cloudcroft.
Alamogordo is a great city to raise kids so if you have some, it is more of a family type of town.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 AM

54 posts, read 320,657 times
Thanks, it seems that you always hear about Northern NM, but Southern NM is a treasure...maybe it's kept a secret to keep people from crowding there! It's really too bad that you have to be "ultra-wealthy" to enjoy living in some of the most beautiful places. I thought that Santa Fe (real estate way over-priced) was gorgeous and enjoyed my last visit to NM. I have considered Rio Rancho, (2 teens still at home) so everything is being seriously considered. But, we are not that far from being "empty-nesters" so it would be nice to live somewhere that we don't have to pick up and move again! Oh yes, bellestaroftexas, the humidity!!! It would be nice to walk to the mailbox and not come back in the house looking like you just stepped out of the shower! I do love South Carolina, though, except for that! I'm married to a Texan and it would be nice to be closer to his family... I appreciate the time that y'all took to answer this and sure hope that some more people have recommendations for the best places to live in New Mexico.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:53 AM

81 posts, read 347,899 times
Default Rio Rancho or Las Cruces

I am currently researching Las Cruces and Rio Rancho for retirement. Rio Rancho just rated 56th on Money Magazine's best 100 places to live list, which is terrific!! Crime rate is much lower in Rio Rancho and here's an interesting fact: Rio Rancho has 53 bars for a population of 58,000. Las Cruces has 1,146 bars for a population of 78,000!!! Interesting figures. I'm interested in hearing opinions on both towns in terms of retirement. Thanks

Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Default Bars in Las Cruces

There is no way there are 1,146 bars in Las Cruces. Do the economics - one for every 68 people is hardly likely. Some bad information there.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinusconus
Las Cruces has 1,146 bars for a population of 78,000!!! Interesting figures.
That has to be a mistake. Even if you counted all the bars in Las Cruces and nearby El Paso, I still think it would be way shy of a thousand.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 101,669 times
I actually used to live in Farmington, but we moved to Arizona when I was 5 so I don't remember too much of it. But I am going back next month to visit and am very excitied about that.

If I were to choose a city to live in NM I would probably want to live in Albuquerque. I like the big city and the mountains to the east are beautiful. Of course Taos, Santa Fe, Las Cruses, and Ruidoso are all nice places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico