U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 15,048 times

Advertisements

My partner, who is a Physician Assistant, is contemplating accepting a two-year (at least) placement in Cuba, NM. We are New Yorkers (Brooklynites, specifically), and very left-leaning politically and socially, but pretty live-and-let-live in our approach - we've both lived lots of places with lots of different cultures and know how to respect norms. Also, we are a lesbian couple, in our late 20's/early 30's. I've been searching this forum trying to see if there is a nearby town (of any size) where we could live and maybe find some community, but from where she would have a relatively reasonable commute to Cuba. I am a social worker, so I could probably find a job wherever. I guess by "community" I mean some friendly or even like-minded folks who wouldn't mind hanging out with us and wouldn't be homophobic or loathe to accept outsiders. We are really excited by the prospect of gorgeous New Mexico landscape and weather but we're not sure where in the Cuba vicinity we should try and live...your feedback would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

3,540 posts, read 7,112,501 times
I imagine you'd be fine in Cuba, Jemez Springs, San Ysidro, or (probably) northern Rio Rancho.

Those areas aren't as closed-minded as other parts of the state. Still, you can encounter ugly people just about anywhere.

I imagine you'll get more dirty looks from people because of your New York background and accent than anything else. Rio Rancho was originally settled by New Yorkers, so.. there's an in there.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM

475 posts, read 1,063,583 times
I may get some grief for this answer, but -- RECONSIDER -- IN FACT DON'T DO IT -- unless your partner is willing to live with a long commute.

You can call up a map as easily as I can and you will see it is a long way to anywhere. Maybe somebody else will tell you different, but Cuba is a little teeny town and I'd say you are taking an awfully big risk at being accepted. Even if you were a heterosexual couple you would find that many people have lived there all their lives -- have a network of friends and relatives that they have known all their lives -- and don't have any time for new friends. And may view outsiders with distrust or outright hostility.

The other day I met a very pleasant heterosexual couple who live in a slightly larger, more cosmopolitan town than Cuba and they went through several years of outright hostility -- for instance threats of arson. After five years they feel like they are accepted.

And if there were an opening for a social worker, there is a good chance they would figure out a way to hire a totally unqualified person who is from that network of friends and relatives. If somehow you got hired there is a very good chance they would do everything they could to make your life miserable so you would quit. There is also a good chance that the person in charge is also unqualified and does not want to bring a more qualified person in.

The other day I was at a meeting where a high placed official in state government was saying what trouble they had finding qualified social workers. IMO, that's wrong. Problem is that the people who do the hiring manage not to hire them. Even with state jobs it happens.

Maybe somebody will give you a different answer -- but two years in Cuba????

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I imagine you'd be fine in Cuba, Jemez Springs, San Ysidro, or (probably) northern Rio Rancho.
I don't know about San Ysidro, but yes I would agree that Jemez Springs and Rio Rancho would be okay for you. But we are talking about a three hour round trip.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

3,556 posts, read 8,739,093 times
Yeah, I don't think I'd accept that position. Even as a Burqueno there would be issues fitting-in there. No jobs in Terrytown, White Plains?

Old 10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,573,305 times
I would say Rio Rancho or Bernalillo would be your best bet. I would recommend taking a week or so for a visit just to find out if it is something you really want to do. Drive the commute a couple of times at the times you will have to be doing it if you accepted the job. Visit local shops in Cuba and talk to people. Find out if it is something you can handle. I know a few that commute to Abq from Cuba five times a week. That would get really old to me very quickly.

I also agree with Santa Fe on the way people are hired in State, county and local Gov here in NM. You pretty much have to be related to someone and even dumber than the one that hires you.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 12,950,996 times
New Mexico is on the good ol boy system and I would find it hard to fit in in Cuba, especially being New Yorkers. Cuba is in its own little world and has lots of drunks.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Have you thought about Taos? NM scenery which IMO is much better than Cuba, a somewhat larger town and a very cosmopolitan counter-culture atmosphere. And it is a short drive to very undeveloped areas.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,095,461 times
You would be easily accepted here in Placitas, but you'd be 60-70 miles from Cuba. We do know one person who made that daily commute, but it was a grind.

You would probably have minimal issues in northern Rio Rancho, but still be 50-60 miles from Cuba.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,387,769 times
How bad can two years be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico