U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,439 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Anyone have any tips for hunting coyotes near the Melrose Range, or anywhere in Hunting Unit 31,32, and 40? Looking for what kind of ranges we are looking at, what works as far as calling, decoys, and camo. Any info at all will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,282 posts, read 17,213,871 times
Reputation: 3753
Make sure the moon is full for the best effect.
Howling would be appropriate at this time and will bring in coyotes, wolves and whatever else you call.

(Sorry - couldn't help myself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Marlborough, MA
1,732 posts, read 3,879,050 times
Reputation: 812
Why on earth would someone want to hunt/kill a coyote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
502 posts, read 1,192,266 times
Reputation: 521
My prefered combination.
Foxpro, (various rabbit sounds and woodpecker) a good flat shooting rifle and your second person with a good 12 gauge.
Works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
502 posts, read 1,192,266 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Why on earth would someone want to hunt/kill a coyote?
To answer your question. Coyotes are considered "varmints" in NM and alot of other states. They account for large losses of deer and elk fawns, baby quail, and livestock as well as domestic animals such as dogs and cats.

There is also a $$ amount for their pelts in the fur market, though this year it appears that this value is like everything else, in the toilet.
I hunt/trap them for this reason and the fact that part of my income on a yearly basis is from wildlife damage control work.

If you have the time to do some research on coyote attacks you will see that the number of attacks on both domestic animals and people is on the rise. More so in the states that have banned trapping then in NM.

I do know of one local lady that was walking her small dog, on a leash, and it was killed by a coyote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Ruidoso, NM
1,643 posts, read 4,299,429 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Coyotes are considered "varmints" in NM and alot of other states. They account for large losses of deer and elk fawns, baby quail, and livestock as well as domestic animals such as dogs and cats.
Quote:
Coyotes are presently the most abundant livestock predators in western North America, causing the majority of sheep, goat and cattle losses.
From:
WIKIPEDIA ON COYOTES

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
502 posts, read 1,192,266 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Make sure the moon is full for the best effect.
Howling would be appropriate at this time and will bring in coyotes, wolves and whatever else you call.

(Sorry - couldn't help myself)
My foxpro has the "Female invitation howl" as well as the "Interrogation howl" avaliable on it. Would that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
 
1,530 posts, read 3,463,256 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Why on earth would someone want to hunt/kill a coyote?
exactly. i do not condone killing for sport. for food is one thing but just cause, horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 AM
 
1,530 posts, read 3,463,256 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
To answer your question. Coyotes are considered "varmints" in NM and alot of other states. They account for large losses of deer and elk fawns, baby quail, and livestock as well as domestic animals such as dogs and cats.

There is also a $$ amount for their pelts in the fur market, though this year it appears that this value is like everything else, in the toilet.
I hunt/trap them for this reason and the fact that part of my income on a yearly basis is from wildlife damage control work.

If you have the time to do some research on coyote attacks you will see that the number of attacks on both domestic animals and people is on the rise. More so in the states that have banned trapping then in NM.

I do know of one local lady that was walking her small dog, on a leash, and it was killed by a coyote.
there is a reason this is happening - people are encroaching upon wildlife, moving into places and building homes and such where wild animals use to be able to hunt and be free. because of the encroacing society, these animals are not able to hunt as much and are hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,282 posts, read 17,213,871 times
Reputation: 3753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
there is a reason this is happening - people are encroaching upon wildlife, moving into places and building homes and such where wild animals use to be able to hunt and be free. because of the encroacing society, these animals are not able to hunt as much and are hungry.
Exactly !!! Why can't more people understand this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top