Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 30,002 times

Advertisements

My husband and I lived in Silver City for three years from 2005 to 2008. Silver City is a really cool little town, but it isn't for everyone. When I was there I loved the diversity and southwestern culture, the food, the art, the proximity to spectacular wilderness, and most of all, the weather. If you love the outdoors and are good at making your own fun, you'll do well. The people are more or less friendly but there does seem to be more crime than in the small towns in the northwest that I'm used to. The place is full of active retirees and new transplants to the area. A drawback to me was the lack of young professionals in the area. There seemed to be a relatively small proportion of educated 20 and 30 somethings around. I never really found a social niche. That said, I may have not looked hard enough.

Parts of the town are really charming and funky in a good way, parts are just run down and trashy. It's not a pedestrian or bike friendly town. There are some people working to change that, though. If you're planning on gardening for food, be prepared for lots of challenges. Finding really good produce can be a challenge also. If you need green and blooming scenery for more than a few months out of the year, look elsewhere. The desert and the mountains around Silver are beautiful, but the landscape is pretty brown most of the time. If you want to explore the Gila National Forest, I recommend getting a high-clearance 4WD vehicle. The road are few and far between (a good thing, in my book) and pretty gnarly for much of the year.

If you like to shop anywhere but Walmart and take in concerts and plays and festivals, you'll have to do lots of driving. The cultural events in Silver, while lots of fun, are limited and it is a long drive to any sort of population center. Also, the nearest real airport is a three hour drive away.

If you are ready to live in a small town, you like the southwest, and you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, Silver City is a great place to be. We moved away from Silver City for a job and to be closer to family in the NW, not because we didn't like it. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,744 times
Default thinking about silver city

My wife and I are looking for a place to retire where our retirement dollar will go a little further. Just looking for opinions about silver city???

Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Where do you live now and what are your desires and priorities in a place to live? Stuff like climate, environment, culture, politics, shopping, isolation, price etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 20,128 times
We plan on relocating to Silver City, NM ASAP. We just hope that there are enough local alterative folks so that we're not the only freaky couple in town....LOL

Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,451 times
i plan on joining my husband in silver city soon. However i have a 17 yr. old daughter and am very concerned that there will be few kids to hang out with, or get to know.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Wonder what happened to NewMediaMave.

I wonder if she moved there or changed her mind. Are you out there Mave?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,898 times
Default I'm here

Hi Fiddlehead!

Yes I'm here, been watching the postings. We decided not to go to Silver City... instead, we are going to do an RV trip around the country to visit what we call orphanages in this country - "group homes." We were watching CNN's Heros and got inspired. It is a big undertaking, and we are in the middle of packing & selling off all our stuff, so not much time to go into detail yet but stay tuned if you are interested.

Thanks for the posts everyone, and thanks F for the inquiry. =)

Silver City is definitely on our list of places to visit along the way....

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM

54 posts, read 217,287 times
Ken and Amy- you'll fit right in! Just spend an hour sitting outside Javelina and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
Questions about Silver City for those who live or have lived there. Who makes up (would you say) the population base? I have read that it was 49% Hispanic. The balance of those living there.... would you guesstimate that they are from California? Married retirees or ??? Liberals? Gays? While both of us (my husband & I) love the appearance of SC, I do have some concerns about the "coyoteish" behaviors I noticed from several female service people. My husband and I have lived all over with the Army (Colorado, Arizona, Alaska); we're in our 60s.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Anne & I visited Silver a few years ago and liked the town but are not likely to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico