Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Considering that both my daughter and my husband get very ill if they consume gluten I don't have time for a restaurant to have a learning curve. My husband's xmas party was at Cattle Baron this year. We called ahead, asked for the manager, and he knew right away what gluten was, how to handle our meal, etc. Chili's has also been really good here - the manager is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about gluten and how to avoid it.

I don't want to sit there for 2 hours and educate the manager and the cooking staff on how to make a gluten free meal. In the end of they don't know about it they'll probably still flip my daughter's burger with the same spatula they used to flip the buns. And then I'll have a very sick 2 yr old little girl. It's not worth the risk.
SHELSI:: Have you tried "Something Different"? A very dear friend of mine eats there and she also has celiac disease. I think, too, Saeng's can do gluten-free if you request it. they're a thai restaurant, soooo good! Where do you send your little girl to daycare? La Hacienda, I think, would be more accommodating, but Juanito's is so good. Although, (warning) you may have to specify what gluten is. And I entirely agree that it's irresponsible of a restaurant owner to not understand ingredients! (My son and I are horribly allergic to peanuts, so needless to say, we have a TON of trouble in this area.) I hope this helps a wee bit! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 36,444 times
I don't have time to read all 9 pages but the first three made me laugh with desert sun's "deep thoughts".

The fact that you haven't heard about celiac disease is disturbing. It's not that they want to propogate some hippie revolution--it's a bona fide disease. You then go on to say that "every east coaster seems to think we must cater to thier needs". YOU'RE IN THE *SERVICE* INDUSTRY! You must own every eatery in ABQ. An attitude like that wouldn't last two seconds in a truly competitive market.

Good luck with whatever establishment you're running; it sounds like you might need it.

Back on topic, Shelsi, my girlfriend and I have to order her gluten free foods from bobs redmill (online). There are establishments in Clovis/Portales that offer gluten free (GF) foods but sometimes they use non-GF cooking supplies to prepare their GF foods. We've started to get pretty proficient at preparing some fairly interesting meals once we got all the tools (breadmaker, etc).

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico