U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:25 PM

3,587 posts, read 7,290,086 times

Advertisements

My company has landed a contract that will put me in Socorro almost every weekday for the foreseeable future (I live in Albuquerque), and would just as soon take the Railrunner (roundtrip gas for solo driving is $20).

The trouble is the Railrunner goes no further than Belen. Anyone have any suggestions on finding a carpool buddy for the second half of the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 AM

271 posts, read 1,041,422 times
From what I have read in the papers the Railrunner will never go to Socorro but I could be wrong. Also by the time you drive to Belen it is only about another 35 to 40 miles to Albuquerqe so it might be as easy to drive. I think the next leg of the railrunner is going to be to Santa Fe and not to the south. I've ridden trains for a big part of my life in Chicago, San Francisco, and Atlanta and they were for the most part packed with people. It is hard for me to understand how the Railrunner will be able to make it with so few people in New Mexico. I hope it does survive but I heard on the news a few days ago that the ridership has been very low except when it was free.

Good luck in Socorro and hopefully you can find a carpool to ride to the station in Belen.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-29-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-11-2007, 05:24 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,456,378 times
Old Honda Civics or Geo Metros get over 40 mpg and as you don't have the rust demon in NM you should be able to find one fairly cheap.

I live in New Hampshire and the salt has gotten most of them. This is one of the reasons I want to move to Socorro. The winter weather has changed from managable snow to miserable sleet & ice which leads to excessive salt use. This is another reason.

If you don't mind. What are you going to be doing in Socorro? I'll probably need a job after I retire so the more info the better.

I doubt if the Railrunner will ever get south of the Seviletta Wildlife Refuge because of the costs but, hey, the tracks are already there so it might happen. Heck, it might extend from Santa Fe to Las Cruces one day.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:50 AM

153 posts, read 681,117 times
There is a van that goes to New Mexcio Tech every day with professors and other people working on projects down here, that commute to NMT every day from Albuquerque. You might want to look into that. Call NMT, I am sure that they can give you info on it. Otherwise I can check with one of my hubby's co-workers who takes it. Most of the people he works with come from Abq. too.
Not sure of the hours.

I have heard that Socorro wants the railrunner to come here but I don't think it will happen for awhile. There are some Abq. people that just bought the big historic Val Verde hotel here and they are trying to get it to come too. We'll see!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM

153 posts, read 681,117 times
Hey Greg, what kind of work will you be looking for? We have Aerojet here in Socorro and I understand they are always hiring...
http://www.aerojet.com/home.php
also, NMT always has jobs and there are always new projects going on at NMT with job openings.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM

41,506 posts, read 49,456,378 times
In the desert - I was kind of figuring that something would be available. After all I am planning to retire there and retire implys less than full time employment but we will see. Thanks for the link to Aerojet. I wonder if they will get a piece of the Spaceport America business.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 17,174 times
Jobs. Oh yeah. I'm a retired RN and I can not seem to get a handle on how to look for part time non nursing work to supplement my itty bitty social security check. I want to come to Socorro...Magdalena. I PLAN to come. I just hope that I can find something that is not physically demanding and that is with good people. El Defensor Chieftan has been little help so far and the internet seems to only offer big serious jobs with annual salaries. I'm over that!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,929,035 times
In todays ABQ Journal newspaper has a front page story about how the Railrunner is sucking money out of the Highway construction fund which is estimated at 500 million dollars short and are now talking about TOLL Roads here in NM. I'm fuming at Gov Richardson on that Boondoggle known as the Railrunner. It doesn't even go down to Las Cruces to the south or the outlying areas around the state....

Here comes the Tolls......

Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,841,102 times
I have got to agree. Money could be better spent on other things than expanding service to Socorro to benefit a limited number of people. I have my doubts about expansion to Santa Fe for that matter.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM

21 posts, read 81,781 times
that S##ks big time, and gotta add in the un marked crossings that have begun the 'produce' accidents and time consuming delays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico