Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM

405 posts, read 1,332,167 times

Advertisements

So- I'm sure there are rules and regs on this site about not selling things..so I won't...and I wouldn't want to bore anyone!
But..I do need a little help! I'm looking to sell my very good used car, and was wondering if anyone had ideas. I've already done the craigslist and "for Sale" signs but that is as far as I get with MY ideas! The Santa Fe New Mexican wanted $103 for my ad and I'm not about to drop that kind of money when I'm trying to SELL something!
Thanks for your ideas! I'm pretty desperate for something creative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 PM

741 posts, read 2,916,361 times
Albuquerque Journal charges $15 for 4 lines for 7 days. Pretty sure the ad shows up in their online classifieds as well.

Chap

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM

475 posts, read 1,263,787 times
There are -- or at least have been -- places where traditionally people just put their cars with their phone numbers on them. If someone is interested then they call you up and you negotiate. Some call them lemon lots. The one in Pojoaque is gone, and I don't know about the one in Santa Fe. You might try asking around.

The one in Los Alamos is still active, but maybe not too convenient for you. It is more or less across Diamond from the high school.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 AM

502 posts, read 1,375,765 times
I've had real good luck selling just about anything at the "holloman yardsales" site. Here is the Santa Fe version site for you.
Santa Fe bookoo - Santa Fe, New Mexico

Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM

Wow..thanks everyone! I have thought about parking it somewhere..but I have seen damage that has been done to those sorts of cars (spraypaint and such) and it kind of scares me. And my husband and I commute to work so its not like we could park it out for the day and bring it in at night. And I'm not so sure my car qualifies for a "lemon lot". Ha! But I'm going to check into these places. I didn't know there was an actual LOT for something like that. I'll check out the website as well!
Thank you Thank you. I guess I'll owe ya all supper when she sells, huh?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Wow..thanks everyone! I have thought about parking it somewhere..but I have seen damage that has been done to those sorts of cars (spraypaint and such) and it kind of scares me. And my husband and I commute to work so its not like we could park it out for the day and bring it in at night. And I'm not so sure my car qualifies for a "lemon lot". Ha! But I'm going to check into these places. I didn't know there was an actual LOT for something like that. I'll check out the website as well!
Thank you Thank you. I guess I'll owe ya all supper when she sells, huh?
The lemon lots that I am directly familiar with -- the one in the Pojoaque that is gone and the one in Los Alamos -- are (were) out in very visible places and driving by I have never seen a car that has been spray painted. I don't know if people bring them home at night. (Spray painting a car in Pojoaque could be a fairly dangerous hobby.)

You can direct message me with the dinner invite.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM

741 posts, read 2,916,361 times
I'm not sure if the "lemon lots" you're referring to are merely high visibility, vacant, private lots where folks just park their car with a phone number on it or not.

If so, a word of warning: in addition to any risk of potential vandalism, you may also be running the risk of receiving a citation. The enforcement of the various laws that may come into play when parking on a vacant lot can vary from location to location. Just bear this in mind, as you may incur a "cost" in this method of advertising that may well exceed that of placing an ad in the New Mexican.

Chap

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,038,131 times
The last two times I sold a car, I just parked it with a prominant
sign in the window whilst parked in a place that was easily seen
where I lived. If you live in an apartment complex, find a spot
near the entrance/exit and make sure the sign is visible.

They just called me when I was home and my car was there
and I walked out and sold the car.

It also might not hurt to have some sticky tags attached to the
car so people don't have to write down your contact information.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM

A coworker from Los Alamos just mentioned the Lemon Lot as well, but suggested one might have to get some sort of permit and was not sure where to get such a thing. Gosh, if selling a car was as easy as getting you all to drum up ideas...I'd be in good shape and you all would be in for a good hot dinner! I guess it doesn't help that the car is just sitting there..not being driven with the for sale signs. Happy Selling!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
A coworker from Los Alamos just mentioned the Lemon Lot as well, but suggested one might have to get some sort of permit and was not sure where to get such a thing. Gosh, if selling a car was as easy as getting you all to drum up ideas...I'd be in good shape and you all would be in for a good hot dinner! I guess it doesn't help that the car is just sitting there..not being driven with the for sale signs. Happy Selling!
In Los Alamos you do get a permit. Search on line and you'll see how to do it. Nobody is mentioning the one in Santa Fe, so it may be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico