Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,995 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for areas in New Mexico with the following:

Purchase and rental property costs that are decent.
Good local businesses like restaurants, coffee, bars, etc.
Many single people
agriculture, sustainability and great outdoors
Progressive politics in support of organics, arts and Native American culture.

I'm thinking Silver City, Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque. Which is best or are there any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,359,941 times
Out of the four I would personally choose Albuquerque because its bigger, and cheaper than the other too *if* you look in the right places. Santa Fe can be terribly pricy, and with the mininum wage going up to like $12 it certainly wont get any cheaper.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM

46 posts, read 454,204 times
The minimum wage is $12?!?!?! WOW!! Is it that expensive in Santa Fe?? I also have had an interest in possibly moving to one of these cities. I would love to hear more about the pros and cons of Santa Fe, Taos, and Albuquerque.

Last edited by star13; 07-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,064,576 times
Santa Fe would meet most of the objectives but it and Taos are expensive. Silver City is rated nicely in terms of the culture and arts but it might be a bit slow to your tastes -- lots of retirees because it's relatively low crime and very cost effective. I don't know whether Silver City is progressive or not but it sure is a long way from any major airport if you like to travel at all.

I personally think the Knob Hill area and around the University in Albuquerque is what would suit you the best -- all the amenities and pretty progressive from what I see. I work at the University. And the rentals seem pretty reasonable. There are parts of downtown not far from the university also that are getting revitalized -- still a bit dicey in places but things are changing.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,359,941 times
Im always at UNM area and always have to laugh when I see Knob Hill lol. LLD is right though, its a nice area.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,393 times
Las Cruces has NMSU and good farmland/agriculture, the Organ mountains provide excellent hiking (i try to go every weekend), we have several small locally owned coffee shops and a couple of Starbucks were recently built, and we have a good enviromental center to show you and help preserve the native culture here. If you need a place to rent, I work at a Century21 realty office that has property management, and I'll be provide you with their phone number and several other property management groups in town.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 PM

22,849 posts, read 28,091,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen30 View Post
I'm looking for areas in New Mexico with the following:

Purchase and rental property costs that are decent.
Good local businesses like restaurants, coffee, bars, etc.
Many single people
agriculture, sustainability and great outdoors
Progressive politics in support of organics, arts and Native American culture.

I'm thinking Silver City, Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque. Which is best or are there any other ideas?
What is your definition of "decent" real estate prices.

Albuquerque would be your overall best bet. Be careful of the neighborhood though. Albuquerque isn't southcentral LA or anything, but there are definitely some bad 'hoods.

Silver City is nice, but it has a lot of senior and isn't what I would really call "progressive."

Santa Fe and Taos are very liberal for NM, but they are also VERY expensive. Most expensive places in the state.

You might consider Las Cruces as well. My dad moved back there last year. He loves it.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,096,150 times
Where does Socorro place on the "progressive" continuum? Alamogordo?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 454,204 times
I keep seeing references to Santa Fe and Taos being expensive.... I have lived in New York City and grew up in Chicago, so I am curious about the relative cost of these cities. I understand that compared to other cities in NM they are more expensive, but can someone please give me some examples to base this off of? ...Average rent? ...Gas prices? ...Cost of food? What makes these cities so expensive?
THANKS!!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,545 times
Taos is great but Santa Fe is more urban and would have more single people. It is expensive there and here in Taos but for me it has been worth it. Beauty and uniqueness abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico