Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 200,867 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher considering moving to Roswell to take a job at Goddard High School. I am on the fence because I know nothing about the town. New Mexico is nice and I'd love to come back. A small/ moderate size town about Roswell's size would be almost ideal. (If anything, their population is slightly high for my tastes.)
My main concern is crime. I am white and have a wife and baby daughter. Are the official crime stats accurate as far as your personal experience is concerned? > > (Any specific examples??) I lived in Gallup for 3 years. The overwhelmingly intimidating crime stats for that town turned out to amount to exactly NOTHING. It's a nice place.
What about the schools in Roswell? Any interesting info on the 2 high schools? Goddard is the one w/ the current job opening.
What about raising a family? Is there a decent selection of churches? Health care?

So don't hold back. I'd appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 AM

68 posts, read 355,553 times
Default Roswell info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothbard View Post
I am a teacher considering moving to Roswell to take a job at Goddard High School. I am on the fence because I know nothing about the town. New Mexico is nice and I'd love to come back. A small/ moderate size town about Roswell's size would be almost ideal. (If anything, their population is slightly high for my tastes.)
My main concern is crime. I am white and have a wife and baby daughter. Are the official crime stats accurate as far as your personal experience is concerned? > > (Any specific examples??) I lived in Gallup for 3 years. The overwhelmingly intimidating crime stats for that town turned out to amount to exactly NOTHING. It's a nice place.
What about the schools in Roswell? Any interesting info on the 2 high schools? Goddard is the one w/ the current job opening.
What about raising a family? Is there a decent selection of churches? Health care?

So don't hold back. I'd appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!!!!

Roswell has a bad reputation when it comes to crime, but that may be changing with the mayors new crime fighting plan that he launched earlier this year with the new number to report any kind of crime 622-SAFE. The community has come together for the first time to clean up Roswells most run down neighborhoods and fight crime, like for example the old chihuahuita neighborhood where the community recently has been cleaning the area and have a plan to revitalize the old ghetto into a tourist area. The economy in Roswell has been the best since Walker AFB closed in the late 60's. This might be a factor why violent crimes were down in 2006. Walker AFB is now becoming an aviation complex with lots of aviation businesses. Goddard High is in the north side of town where most of the growth and nicer areas are. If im remembering right the enrollment of the RISD is increasing due to the growth.
There is alot of churches in Roswell, maybe too many. Health care is definitely growing with more and more options popping up around town like the new Roswell Regional Hospital that just opened its doors a few weeks ago.
Check out the citys new website at www.roswellmysteries.com

People will tell you to turn the other way but in my opinion Roswell is changing for the better right in front of my eyes. Its amazing to see all the new growth and changes taking place. There are tons of new developments going on here and lots of ideas on the drawing board. For example, the city council recently approved air service from Roswell to Dallas/Ft. Worth via American Eagle airlines starting Sept. 5. Two flights in and out on weekdays and Sunday and one on Saturday. That is a big sign of the times changing. Some more city websites that I would look into if I were you are www.roswellnm.org and www.chavescounty.net. There is alot of posted information about Roswell and things going on now and in the futre.....Check it out!! you might like!! If you wanna escape to the mountains in Ruidoso or Carlsbad, just a 30 min to 90 min drive west or south. Any questions?? let me know and I will try my best to answer. If you search through this forum you will find more posts about Roswell....good luck!!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 PM

23 posts, read 112,250 times
Default Two thumbs up

My wife and I moved here in July from St. Louis. If you want crime, check out St. Louis! We have enjoyed our time here and love the city. There are enough things to do, but its not too big. There are lots of churches and plenty of organizations to get involved in. The educational system is 'above average' for New Mexico.

If you look, check out NE or NW Roswell, watch out for anything south of 2nd, but all in all the whole place is pretty nice. Best thing coming--Jet air service on american to arrive September 5.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 200,867 times
Thanks to both of you!

Mikus,
Thanks for the links & info! Excellent!

KalinRoswell,
I appreciate your positive attitude as well. I lived in St Louis for over 10 years. Don't miss the humidity do you? I moved from St. Louis (actually far west county) to Gallup, NM in 2002. I've been in Las Vegas, NV since 2005. Living in the big city again reminds me of the Midwest (traffic, etc...). I can't wait to get back to a small NM town again. Based on the responses to my original post, Roswell is a strong possibility.

I'm still curious about negative views concerning the town. Anyone who thinks it's a big mistake? Any further constructive positive or negative responses are welcome!!!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico