U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:19 PM

53 posts, read 406,732 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can see some pictures of these two cities? I am looking for a place to move with little to no snow, low crime and low housing costs. Are these two a good choice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 PM

827 posts, read 4,542,954 times
There is someone who has done a good job in describing Silver City. The website is ronkilber tripod com Just put the periods where there are blanks even though this is a personal website, not a commercial, for some reason city data blocks a lot of sites but this one is only a person describing Silver City and there are pictures. Elephant Butte is down near T or C and I have never been real impressed with the desert city of T or C but that is just me.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 AM

53 posts, read 406,732 times
Once again I thank you. That site you gave me is awesome. Lots of information there. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:41 PM

827 posts, read 4,542,954 times
You are welcome Leilani. Good Luck on your search!

Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 91,414 times
Default Elephant Butte Pictures

I have some good and very recent Elephant Butte pictures. If you send me an email at jared@jaredmurphy.com I will forward some onto you. I have searched on the internet and not found too many that do the area justice, so I took some of my own.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,675 times
Default Silver v. TorC

Hi,

I looked at real estate in Silver City for 3 years, would still buy there in a minute, but ended up getting a place in the Truth or Consequences area. I travel a lot and my NM place is a second residence, although I spend a lot of time there.

Here are my experiences.

Silver has more forest near town.
TorC has forest within 45 minute drive
Silver prices much higher - (CA folks moving in)
Both places have the same kinds of really nice people, beyond the surface image of each town.
Silver has two big honking open pit mines.
TorC has Elephant Butte lake which goes up and down but is basically 40 miles long and 2-5 miles wide. Silver has nothing which compares with this.
Tor C is warmer in the winter.
Tor C is 2 hours (max) from the Albuquerque airport.
Silver is 5-6 hours from the ABQ airport, but is about 2 hours from smaller El Paso airport.
One can get to a wider variety of things to do in a shorter time from TorC. Skiing, paddling, shopping, etc.
Silver has a movie theater and more sophisticated restaurants,etc.
TorC has a theater, but it is not operating (would be a good investment)
Cost of living is a bit lower in T or C. Housing is much cheaper than in Silver.
Water may be a bit easier to get in sections around TorC. Silver has some water problems in some of its prettiest sections outside of town.
Silver has had some good artists for a while (artists often "jump start" towns in NM). TorC is just getting some.

My bet is that both will be more developed in 10 years. TorC is cheaper to enter right now.

I love both places and drive between them often.

Marty

Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM

102 posts, read 525,736 times
Default Silver- TorC

Martya,

Interesting analysis, it made me think twice about TorC. I'll have to admit I wasn't too impressed with it when I was there last year, but you make some good points about recreational opportunities within 50-60 miles of TC. Maybe there is hope for TC. One thing they need to do is change their name

Since you are a part time resident there, I wonder how has it worked for you getting to know the locals? Do you feel at home there? That is probably what I would like to do when I retire. I live in Seattle now and I love this place in the summer, but the winters are so grey and dreary I hate it then. I need a place that has sunshine in the winter and relatively mild temps.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 PM

4,997 posts, read 13,546,539 times
I gave a link to photos of TorC under the truth about TorC

Old 09-01-2006, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 61,359 times
Default A suggestion for photos

When looking for photos of places, one place I often go to is flickr dot com (this site blocks links but put a period instead of the "dot"!). This is the web's best (and i think biggest) collection of people's personal photos. (It's non-commercial) - it's just where regular folks post their photos. You can get to see some cool, different kinds of shots. just type in your search. for example, i went ahead and searched for elephant butte and found some very cool photos. google images, fyi, is also a nice place to look.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:57 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,303,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird
Maybe there is hope for TC. One thing they need to do is change their name
I LOVE that name!!!!!!!! That's gotta be one of the coolest names for a city!!! (town, whatever)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico