U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,562,679 times
Exclamation DWI...out of control in NM.....

Just saw "another" report that a person has been charged with his "5th" DWI; and this person is a ABQ city employee...jesh....

Where I come from "once" and you are out...

Soft sentences from judges...even softer...pats on the hand from the city, county, state gov.that handles these persons....

I knew a friend that worked for a major company and had (1) DWI..not convicted, but still FIRED from this private company because of his/her off time DWI. This was many years ago.....
(not a gov. worked...)

It seems in NM that ok drink and drive, go to court, and drink and drive again...
Up to 13 x's for some person's...In WA. state..after 3-5 DWI''s it's like to jail for at least 3 years.

Why can't NM get the msg...

Be this New Years will have at least 1 fatal accident + how many DWI's.

I feel that a tavern, bar, lounge, whatever that serves liquor should be responsible to say hey 2 drinks..that's it for 2 hours...or something like that.

Maybe you might not care, but, if if it's one of your loved ones;;then what

HW HAPPY NEW YEAR AND BE SAFE...CALL A CAB...CALL SOMEONE IF YOU THINK THAT YOU MIGHT OR WILL BE HAVING A FEW TOO MANY..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,876,518 times
A lot of people seem to think--and this is not just a New Mexico thing--that its their right to have fun however they want even when it puts others at serious risk, without their consent. Everybody does it, right? It's just the luck of the draw whether you happen to get caught or whether you cause an accident. That, I think, is the attitude.

But the way the law treats DWI here certainly adds to the problem.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,385,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
When I went to school in IL (late 70s), everybody drove drunk... nobody got DWIs... even if they were stopped by a cop! If you were sober enough to stay out of the ditches, then you were good. If you want to avoid the drunks, then have the sense to not be driving when the bars close.

Times sure have changed...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM

14,723 posts, read 17,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Just saw "another" report that a person has been charged with his "5th" DWI; and this person is a ABQ city employee...jesh....

Where I come from "once" and you are out...

Soft sentences from judges...even softer...pats on the hand from the city, county, state gov.that handles these persons....

I knew a friend that worked for a major company and had (1) DWI..not convicted, but still FIRED from this private company because of his/her off time DWI. This was many years ago.....
(not a gov. worked...)

It seems in NM that ok drink and drive, go to court, and drink and drive again...
Up to 13 x's for some person's...In WA. state..after 3-5 DWI''s it's like to jail for at least 3 years.

Be this New Years will have at least 1 fatal accident + how many DWI's.

I feel that a tavern, bar, lounge, whatever that serves liquor should be responsible to say hey 2 drinks..that's it for 2 hours...or something like that.

Maybe you might not care, but, if if it's one of your loved ones;;then what

HW HAPPY NEW YEAR AND BE SAFE...CALL A CAB...CALL SOMEONE IF YOU THINK THAT YOU MIGHT OR WILL BE HAVING A FEW TOO MANY..
MADD has defeated it's own purpose. When you lower the legal blood alcohol level to .08, you lose ALL THE IMPACT of drunk driving, because EVERYBODY knows that .08 is NOT impaired. So they go ahead and drink and then they get caught and nobody thinks anything about it...because it is too low to make any difference and NOBODY CARES.

The drinking/driving laws are so stupid it makes me sick. NOBODY CARES.

And no, I don't drink and drive. Because I am law abiding. But most people are not. Obviously.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,356,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
When I went to school in IL (late 70s), everybody drove drunk... nobody got DWIs... even if they were stopped by a cop! If you were sober enough to stay out of the ditches, then you were good. If you want to avoid the drunks, then have the sense to not be driving when the bars close.

Times sure have changed...

this is New Mexico, the drunks drive at all times of the day, and most are probably alcoholics, they dont only drink at bars and then drive, they wake up to a drink and then go out and drive.

New Mexico has always had a problem with alcohol

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 PM

452 posts, read 416,917 times
Default WELL, maybe

New Mexico needs to do what New York State has done.........make it a Felony..............20 to 30 years in jail, if one kills anyone with a vehicle while intoxicated............

Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,385,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
this is New Mexico, the drunks drive at all times of the day, and most are probably alcoholics, they dont only drink at bars and then drive, they wake up to a drink and then go out and drive.
In that case they have a lot of practice.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
New Mexico needs to do what New York State has done.........make it a Felony..............20 to 30 years in jail, if one kills anyone with a vehicle while intoxicated............

Ya don't say. Apparently, it's not working, because according to New York Drunk Driving Statistics

drunk driving fatalities in New York has increased by 3 percent since 1990 and was at a wopping 39 percent of all fatal accidents in 2004.

It's not working.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 12:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ya don't say. Apparently, it's not working, because according to New York Drunk Driving Statistics

drunk driving fatalities in New York has increased by 3 percent since 1990 and was at a wopping 39 percent of all fatal accidents in 2004.

It's not working.

20yrsinBranson

I don't think you can read your own reference. The chart shows two percentage calculations, one for all alcohol related fatalities, the other for .08+ alcohol related fatalities.

In 1982 ( the first year referenced ) the percentages were 52/45.

In 1990 ( as referenced by you ) they were 43/36.

In 2008 ( the most recent data ) they were 33/28.

That seems to indicate a decrease, rather than an increase in occurrence. There are some exceptions, for example between 2002-03 there was a 4/5 percent increase, but the general trend is clearly decrease rather than increase.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I don't think you can read your own reference. The chart shows two percentage calculations, one for all alcohol related fatalities, the other for .08+ alcohol related fatalities.

In 1982 ( the first year referenced ) the percentages were 52/45.

In 1990 ( as referenced by you ) they were 43/36.

In 2008 ( the most recent data ) they were 33/28.

That seems to indicate a decrease, rather than an increase in occurrence. There are some exceptions, for example between 2002-03 there was a 4/5 percent increase, but the general trend is clearly decrease rather than increase.
That is not how I read it at all.

In 2008 there were 1,231 automobile fatalities in New York.

Of those 1,231 fatalities, 409 (or 33 percent of them) were alcohol related. Of those that were alcohol related, 341 or (28 percent) of them were with a blood alcohol content over .08. Therefore, the OVERALL percentage of alcohol-related deaths showed an decrease in 2 percent over the previous year, but was still equal to - or increased from several of the years prior. It does not show a definitive trend towards significantly lower percentages until you start comparing them to the mid 1980s.

Even so, safety technology in cars has advanced dramatically since the that time. They did not even have AIRBAGS in cars in the mid 1980s (IIRC). Most likely the reduction in FATALITIES associated with alcohol has nothing in the world to do with lower consumption or drinking and driving statistics and stricter laws...and MUCH MORE to do with safer automobiles.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico