Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,244 times

Advertisements

We're going to take the girls down to Silver City the weekend of the 16th. I've never been, and it's been long enough for my wife that she returned a blank stare when I asked what there was to check out. We like historical stuff and the outdoors, although we can only handle lighter stuff with the toddlers. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
We stopped for the night there this summer. We didn't do any activities since we wer just driving through. We did enjoy the Jalisco Cafe for eating.

We also went through the area a few years back. We visited the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Dh carried our baby in a carrier on his back. I walked with the then 2 and 4 yo. They walked up to the dwellings by themselves so it wasn't a hard climb. The temps may be too cold to visit now. You could call the visitor center and check if you're interested.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,301 times
With the weather that NM has been having I second Sarahsez and it is probably to cold for the Gila Cliff Dwellings. To be honest unless the weather is good and you can do the outdoor stuff there is not alot to do there. You could walk downtown I guess. They used to have a very quaint toy store with lots of things from the past.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
I forgot. The City of Rocks is also down in that part of the state too. We camped there with my kids on the same trip where we went to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Even as toddlers my kids loved it. The rocks are maze like and it was an adventure. We went in summer so our concern at that time was watching for rattlesnakes. We had a picnic there this summer. My kids enjoyed it again, but this time they were big enough to climb around on the rocks. Once again, weather will be a concern. My guess is that it is cold and windy there right now.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM

293 posts, read 971,053 times
My husband and I visited Silver City for a weekend last month. We also have toddlers, but didn't bring them with us. There didn't appear to be much to do in Silver City itself for little kids. The downtown is cute and nice, and you could certainly walk up and down the street with your kids looking in the windows. Or take them to the City's small museum.

City of Rocks state park was nice enough, and worth a trip with little ones if you don't have anything else to do. It's about a 15 minute drive from downtown Silver City and has lots of areas for climbing and running and hiding. Gila Cliff Dwelling is a two hour drive north and required a bit of a hike in to the good parts, but nothing that an energetic 3 or 4 year old couldn't do. If you have very young toddlers (18 months?), it might be a long walk.

Like everyone else, though, I'd highlight the cold. It was FREEZING when we were there. We spent much of our time sipping warm beverages at the local coffee shop. At this time of year, I might head to Las Cruces or somewhere a bit warmer.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,244 times
Thanks to everyone for your insightful comments. We will definitely take them into consideration. The rock maze sounds like it would be a blast for our 2 & 3 yr old, but I'm not sure it's worth building a trip around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico