U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 PM

29 posts, read 29,573 times

Advertisements

Nope, hasn't made me a better person, probably a worse person. If I'm still here in 10 years, I did something wrong. Want to get back to the coasts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,870 times
I have lived in NM for nearly 3 years from Kansas City. I love both but the weather extremes were the main reason for moving away from KC. I think NM does change you but it is sort of intangible. There is a sense or feeling you get that is hard to articulate, a change in the cadence of time passing, in casual interactions as you go from place to place, and a greater peacefulness. More intergenerational exposure and very inclusive in the mix of multicultural. It lacks some amenities that are missed by the newcomers, for sure. Hopefully live music better restaurants and better transportation options around the state will be developing. I am in my 50's, single and have a hard time finding activities where I can meet actiave and intelligent people my age. Most senior activities are during the day when I work and I am not retired. Always looking for organized hikes, daytrips and stuff like that, and that is sort of hard to find or hear about. Hoping that the proposed transpotation between Las Cruces and El Paso and Albuquerque become a reality! That would really be great.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 AM

46 posts, read 98,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
One of the many reasons I want to get my kids out of a state where education is not on the list of important things in life.
As we are contemplating a move to SF after a 10 day visit in May, I found the posts on this topic very interesting. Then the lady with the smart kids has to "dis" a poster. What a class act, mom.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 PM

409 posts, read 863,899 times
I say hell yes! I was suffering from a debilitating back condition and searching for answers for the past eight years. Recently I visited a recommended doctor in Santa Fe who truly had the cure. It took me eight years and 2000 miles to find that answer..and I think that might be the best thing New Mexico can ever do for me..or anyone else!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 AM

39 posts, read 92,115 times
I always come back to NM that is for sure. Driving is tricky but I have lived where drivers are allot worse: California for instance. I live here because I left the fast lane of Denver. I wanted to live somewhere that matched the slow pace. I am on universal rez time from living off the land. Time management shifts in NM. Inter-relationships are more important than money here in some ways. At least to some of us that don't have much. If your values are not based on consumererism then you have to find something more meaningful to base your happiness. People should be more importqnt than the pursuit of things such as Colorado springs represents. People that get ahead here do so by there networking and inter-relationships. make a freind each place you have to deal with and you will go far because you really can't make it here as the lone ranger.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:38 PM

39 posts, read 92,115 times
Funny I always try to go around Albuquerque but have to go thru it too frequently. It is always an hour or two drive to anything which I agree is more pleasant because it is open land instead of constant congestion. Domestic violence, drunk driving, slum loads, etc. why do I stay here? These things are higher here than other places which with it's low population is something. It is the same people committing the same crimes over and over again. In NM you can get 7 years for manslaughter and get out in 2 and a half years with good behavior and go out and kill someone else. I liked it when I first come here too but now I regret getting myself stuck here and can't make enough to get out of here and don't know where else to go. suggestions. I moved here for the natural beauty and climate but don't know right now if it is worth it.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:30 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
I find it interesting that some here love Albuquerque and find Central Avenue to be a "neat little corridor", while others think of it as an invitation to disaster. Same with NM in general. I've never had any bad experiences there, and have never really gotten any really bad vibes. I'm sure bad things happen, but they happen in Texas and everywhere else too. One might as well be where he/she wants to be.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:01 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,656,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I find it interesting that some here love Albuquerque and find Central Avenue to be a "neat little corridor", while others think of it as an invitation to disaster. Same with NM in general. I've never had any bad experiences there, and have never really gotten any really bad vibes. I'm sure bad things happen, but they happen in Texas and everywhere else too. One might as well be where he/she wants to be.

well Central is big and extends for like 10 miles, there are bad parts like on East Central then you have the hip cool parts like nob hill, then you have central in downtown which aint nothing to brag about and is busy during the day with foot traffic and regular traffic and then you have west central which is not so great either.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
Well, I realize that, but some people seem to think that all of Central Avenue is okay, while others are horrified by at least some of it. I was just making an Just making an observation. I have no reality-based opinion, having never lived in Albuquerque. I would imagine it's the luck of the draw as to whether anything bad happens to a person while he is there.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 15,027 times
Ajzjms mom. Please leave your stressful comments to yourself you are positively ruining the mood here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico