Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,581,879 times

Advertisements

I have a personal interest in rail travel and I just recently heard about a passenger railroad being built from Albequerque to Santa Fe. When will that be completed? More importantly, how do New Mexicans feel about the project? Will it be worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,581,879 times
Let me correct myself. The Line to Santa Fe was completed in December 08. I was not given up-to-date information. However, I now read that the Road Runner Express may be expanded even further, possibly even to Taos. What do New Mexicans think about even further expansion? Will it happen soon? Please share your thoughts.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,514,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have a personal interest in rail travel and I just recently heard about a passenger railroad being built from Albequerque to Santa Fe. When will that be completed? More importantly, how do New Mexicans feel about the project? Will it be worth it?
It's done! It's been running about a year. I have not ridden on it yet, but plan to...

Their web site:
New Mexico Rail Runner Express Official Site

I wouldn't wager two beers on the outcome of Taos...

Rich

Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,717,113 times
By an odd coincidence, the current state budget deficit is just a bit more than the cost of constructing the RailRunner.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,026,668 times
Railrunner to Santa Fe

Rail Runner stops at Sandia Pueblo and Lobo/Isotopes games

RailRunner from LC gets a little closer to reality

Railrunner Albuquerque to Santa Fe.....walk to shops?

Rail Runner Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
I wouldn't wager two beers on the outcome of Taos...
I wouldn't wager a taste.

The Railrunner build-out to Santa Fe was so expensive, mostly because of the new track
that was lain ( laid down ? ) over desert and between the freeway lanes where, previously
there was no rail line before. The original line between Belen and Bernalillo only needed to
be upgraded for passenger travel ( most of it ).

There was never a line between Santa Fe and Taos so the cost would be orders of magnitude
higher than the Santa Fe extension. The cost to carry a passenger would likely be two orders
of magnitude higher due to the far smaller population base served.

Last edited by mortimer; 01-11-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,898,470 times
I recently saw talk about extending rail service to Las Cruces and El Paso, but don't know what the present thoughts are on that. I presume if that is done it would be a much less frequent service but seeing as how the rail line is already there, it's certainly a feasible concept.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
I think a rail road, even a light weight passenger railroad, would be very difficult because of the steep terrain, to build to Taos from Santa Fe. I think the old nattow gauge Denver & Rio Grande Western had a rail connection but I am not certain. Expanding the route south would only require buying time on the BNSF rails and maybe refurbishing stations. The sheer distance involved might preclude going all the way to Las Cruces.

There is some irony in the fact that there is no passenger rail connection between Boston MA and Manchester NH which are only about 50 miles apart and there are existing unused rights of way. Many commuters still drive and some use a bus. I use the bus from Londonderry (35 Miles) and pay $75 per week. That is less than it would cost to park my car in Boston.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There is some irony in the fact that there is no passenger rail connection between Boston MA and Manchester NH which are only about 50 miles apart and there are existing unused rights of way. Many commuters still drive and some use a bus. I use the bus from Londonderry (35 Miles) and pay $75 per week. That is less than it would cost to park my car in Boston.
That's because you folks in NH won't pay the taxes to fund it. You only got the Downeaster because the Mainers stepped up to the plate.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,140,869 times
If the state was to take on a partner, I can see some practical value in extending the RR north to perhaps Pojoaque. The 84/285 should have median right-of-way available, and there's a fair amount of commuter traffic to Los Alamos (west of Pojoaque) and Española/Taos (north of Pojoaque). Making it freight capable (more revenue) or passenger rail only (better schedules/less expense) are both options.

Regarding an earlier post, the track between Belen & Bernalillo was already suitable for passenger travel, as Amtrak used and still uses those tracks (at a higher federal subsidy per rider than any other train in the U.S.).

I'd sure like to see a bit better integration between Amtrak & the state. If you buy a train ticket from Los Angeles to Santa Fe, they rail you to Lamy (already E of Santa Fe) for $66 and you pick up a $20 bus ride from Lamy to S.F., which is less than 20 miles.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
There are plans to extend to the Rail Runner from Espanola from Las Cruces in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico