Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
thats what Im saying, If someone hates getting transfered to small towns, then maybe they shouldnt get involved with the military.
With that way of thinking, from now on, we should not hear you complain about anything, correct?

I will remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
With that way of thinking, from now on, we should not hear you complain about anything, correct?

I will remember that.

and why is that? I will complain about whatever I want to complain about.

and you gotta admit that what I said is partially right, if you dont wanna get involved in a lifestyle of moving around from country to country or state to state then it is probably a good idea that you dont get involved with someone in the military, common sense.

and I would like to be a firefighter, I just wouldnt wanna be away from my wife for a few nights at a time, therefor I'm not a firefighter.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
and why is that? I will complain about whatever I want to complain about.
And some people get tired of listening to it.
Quote:
and you gotta admit that what I said is partially right, if you dont wanna get involved in a lifestyle of moving around from country to country or state to state then it is probably a good idea that you dont get involved with someone in the military, common sense.
Yes, I admit some of what you said is partially correct, however just quitting because you don't like a situation is not always a good answer.

Quote:
and I would like to be a firefighter, I just wouldnt wanna be away from my wife for a few nights at a time, therefor I'm not a firefighter.
That's your decision and I have no qualms with that.

Since P Driver has never bothered to come back after his/her one and only post, I wonder what their intention was other than to complain...

What made you think P Driver was military anyway?

-
-
-

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And some people get tired of listening to it.
Yes, I admit some of what you said is partially correct, however just quitting because you don't like a situation is not always a good answer.

That's your decision and I have no qualms with that.
Since P Driver has never bothered to come back after his/her one and only post, I wonder what their intention was other than to complain...

What made you think P Driver was military anyway?

-
-
-

everyone complains on city data, its a city forum, there is naturally gonna be likes and dislikes, thats what makes this interesting, its like a debate in a way and we are all different people.

I dont know if P Driver is military or not but I took that post as him saying"if you are gonna move and complain, then dont move at all". There are too many people that get sent to different towns then complain that the town dosent entertain them enough or dosent cater to their needs, thats just a part of life that people need to get over, and there are many people on this US forum that need to understand this.

and I dont think anyone should quit because of their situation

Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
A person who has a job, or is with the Military are going to receive assignments that are not always the best.

When I did my tour, I was given 2 choices, Minot, ND and Eielson AFB Alaska, which one do you guys think I chose? I'll give you a hint, I love mountains.

Complaining. Yes, desert sun, city data does seem to have it's share of whiners.
Sometimes people have to make the best of situations, and press on. I'm sure many of us have had to do things which we didn't like, just put some sugar on it and eat it up.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 AM

153 posts, read 541,364 times
So the city of Clovis just built a steep asphalt median right in front of the entrance to Walmart and a small shopping center with a GameStop, Payless Shoes, and Papa Murphys. It took us 5 minutes to get into the driveway whereas before it took 30 seconds, and we almost got mowed over by a huge truck.

We commented on the change to one of the store owners, and she started crying. She said she had lost 40% of her business since the ugly median went up, and that her and her family were looking at closing their business in Clovis as a result, plus they were quickly losing all their savings and had to cut back on employees.

WHY DID THE CITY OF CLOVIS DO THIS???? It is a real idiotic improvement, as it makes you drive into the parking lot of the business next door, backing up traffic, and then take a U-Turn back into the shopping center. There is not another median like this on any street in Clovis.

This traffic "improvement" is about as smart as the cheesy "winding boulevard" on South Prince where the city was too cheap to build a proper road and so you have to squint to see the lane markers and wind your way down a straight street, past rows of dilapidated mail boxes and hoodies selling drugs. Then there are the plastic wickets that look like drag strip markers that line the left turn lanes on Prince...

Anyway, this business owner met with the Clovis mayor and said that the mayor listened carelessly for a few minutes while texting on her phone and finally said: "I'm sorry about your situation, but we have a traffic problem on this street, and I have to go sell a house. Goodbye." and left. Brilliant! These business people got really screwed by a traffic device that works TERRIBLY and a mayor that obviously has no interest in anything but selling houses.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,458 times
Well the mayor is a crook. The town is definitely corrupt, which is easy to see when the mayor and city councillors own the bank and real estate firms in town, and can gouge whatever they wish... Oh well, Clovis has potential, but they don't care.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Well the mayor is a crook. The town is definitely corrupt, which is easy to see when the mayor and city councillors own the bank and real estate firms in town, and can gouge whatever they wish... Oh well, Clovis has potential, but they don't care.

Clovis and Portales like to stay small, they dont allow everyone to come in and change the towns, they wanna preserve that small town lifestyle, which there is nothing wrong with that, its better than turning a small city or town into a sprawling mess with every imaginable bix box store.

I love that Portales and Clovis still retain their character, thats hard to find in alot of places.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I like small towns, but I've yet to see a town whose mayor, council, etc didn't want it to grow. After all, it if did, the mayor would have more houses to sell. In any case, it is hard to understand why the planning of roads is so bad (according to New West 2020).

Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I like small towns, but I've yet to see a town whose mayor, council, etc didn't want it to grow. After all, it if did, the mayor would have more houses to sell. In any case, it is hard to understand why the planning of roads is so bad (according to New West 2020).

then you havent seen Portales yet, trust me, the people of the town dont want it to grow, I grew up there and it still hasnt changed much, the old timers like it that way. I could probably count the number of new buildings that have been built in the last 10 years on 2 hands.

church,family and keeping the small town atmosphere is the most important thing it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico