U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 9,764 times

Advertisements

Wikipedia reports that more than 100 trains pass through the town every day. Has the city made a study on how to create "quiet zones" to comply with a 2000 federal ruling. NOW do horns sound only in emergencies in in Belen???
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM

17,691 posts, read 19,189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol-slp View Post
Wikipedia reports that more than 100 trains pass through the town every day.
Curious to where you got that information. The exact URL not just "Wikipedia reports".

That is an average of one train every 14 minutes.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 PM

50,176 posts, read 42,669,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Curious to where you got that information. The exact URL not just "Wikipedia reports".

That is an average of one train every 14 minutes.

Lived there for 7 years, no way is there a train every 14 minutes. Maybe they are counting the ones in the yards that are moved from one track to another and run maybe 2 minutes? I don't know, but I would like to know where the information comes from as well??

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM

303 posts, read 647,201 times
I live in Belen now and can see the railyard from my backyard. I recently bought a new car that had an alarm, and can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that a train goes through about every 1/2 hour. Because that is when the alarm went off. . .we had it disabled the next day. But it was a long night.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM

303 posts, read 647,201 times
It's not the noise that set off the car alarm, just the vibrations. I have honestly never heard that much noise from the trains, but you can feel the house shake a little. It was enough to set off the car alarm, which was way noisier than any train. Have I mentioned it was a long night?

I've never heard train horns or anything, been here about a year & a half.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,865,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
But it was a long night.
I don't mean to lead this thread astray, but the conversation brought back a memory from a few years ago. I knew better - having stayed in Flagstaff in the past. But for some reason I checked into a motel not far from the east-west tracks that parallel IH-40 through Flagstaff. And why the town hasn't by now adopted an anti-train-horn ordinance I don't understand because I was awakened at not more than 15 minute intervals all night long by trains approaching from one direction or the other. They began blowing their horns as they entered town, and at EVERY CROSSING as they passed through. And there are a LOT of crossings in the town!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM

726 posts, read 864,425 times
Default Belen train traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Curious to where you got that information. The exact URL not just "Wikipedia reports". That is an average of one train every 14 minutes.
See Belen, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which says, "To this day, an average of 110 trains travel through Belen in a 24-hour period on the Southern Transcon." If you search the web you'll find many other websites with the same sentence, although maybe they're all copied from wikipedia.
A 2007 newspaper article (see http://www.caminorealheritage.org/PH...hosttowns1.pdf) says 45 trains per day head east from Belen through Abo Pass. (This web article has a bunch of interesting additional info about the history of Socorro County and one of its ghost towns.) Assuming similar trafffic headed west, this would mean 2 x 45 or 90 trains a day through Belen. Also, Feb 2009 government planning study (see p8, http://www.belen-nm.gov/news/BTODstudy2009draft.pdf) says 100 trains move through Belen each day.
I'd tend to probably believe the last reference, which means the wikipedia number may be a little high but not by that much. This is also supported by Information, which mentions the daily refueling of 86-95 trains per day in Belen. Also see Sharon Niederman Great Getaways on 1 tank of Gas Belen to Magdelena, For Corporate Relocation: Belen New Mexico (http://www.nmsitesearch.com/communities/communities_6_1.htm - broken link) and 2007 Rail Cafe in Belen, New Mexico Photo Gallery by intermodal at pbase.com. And the attached pdf is an official US DOT inventory report of a Belen area railroad crossing that has train traffic of 89 per day.
While the number of daily trains differs a bit depending on the cited article, the very fact that the numbers differ probably means they don't all come from the same source, which IMO makes the reported numbers more reliable. So while it might not be exactly 110, seems likely that the trains passing through Belen each day is at least in the 90 trains/day range.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InventoryReport.PDF (16.5 KB, 102 views)

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM

2,805 posts, read 4,428,364 times
Isn't Belen a major switching stop, and as such, wouldn't there be a lot of the following?:

*Train A comes in, picks up some cars from Train B, can be counted thus as train C when it leaves
*Train A comes in, drops off some intermodal containers to be trucked to their destination, counts as train B when it leaves..

Perhaps that might explain the discrepancy between number perceived and number counted.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,285,310 times
Belen is a major yard and crew change point on the BNSF southern transcon line. It is a busy place for trains, and will get busier as the upgrading of the southern transcon route is completed. I suspect that there are less than 100 trains per day with the current down economy, but the route will handle that many (probably up to about 120 when upgrading is finished in the next year or so).

As to enacting "no horn" quiet zones, it's not as simple as enacting an ordinance. All grade crossings within the quiet zone have to have gates and signals or be eliminated by using overpasses or underpasses. At $250,000 to $500,000 per crossing for gated signals--paid for by the city, not the railroad--that can be prohibitively expensive. As for the locomotive engineer blowing the horn day and night for grade crossings outside of designated "quiet" zones, it's required by federal law. Even the length of the "whistling" is regulated. The engineer is supposed to start blowing the horn when he passes the designated "whistle post" along the track, and continue blowing the horn until his locomotive has passed through the grade crossing.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 AM

410 posts, read 515,284 times
I think eventually you just kind of tune out train noises. A bunch of them come through everyday here in Springfield, and I've gotten used to it over the years. Actually, I kind of like the noise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico