Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: Congratulations on the move! I may be up there this fall to look around (I want to have a look at Timberon and Silver City, too). You said something about how it would probably be fine to swim outside at the Family Rec Center in winter...I wonder about that. It gets cold enough in winter to make that dicey, IMO, even if the water is heated.

I want to find out whether or not there is any live music in Alamo. I'm a professional musician, and it would be great if there were any places to play. (I'm not holding my breath.)
Thank you, Cat!! Let me clarify that on the swimming at the Rec Center in the winter...it is ENCLOSED with a bubble and heated during the winter! I may like cold, but I ain't no polar bear in January, LOL!! Since the Physical Therapy Center is indoors year around, and has regular hours for lap swimming (6am-6pm M-F), I will most likely go with that.....and use the Family Rec Center for a pay-per-swim/punchcard on the weekends if I don't get over to the PTC the other times. Of course, there is also the new facility...but I bet it is pretty expensive.

Music? My guess would be that you'd have to be in a much larger place for that, but stranger things have happened, I guess. You do have the tourism in nearby Ruidoso/Cloudcroft, so, again, it might be feasible!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
Congratulations Cathy....you made a wise choice ....I think you'll like Alamogordo ....from what you described I also think you got a steal....I'm sure prices will soar in the future when more people discover Alamo.....I like the south end of town ...nice area......as for gardening ....Alamo is a solid zone 8 ...try a mix of native plants and "exotic"...perhaps even a palo verde...or even a Washington fan palm ....

Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,933 times
As far as places to eat and others have mentioned places but if you drink Coffee although no Starbucks yet there is a great Coffee cafe on North Scenic drive right across from the Hospital called ''The Plateau Expresso'' and its on the side of the mountain and your above the city and they have an outdoor patio where you can sit and look at the city and valley below and see White Sands and the Organ mountains or at nite you can see all the lights of the city. Sometimes i'll get my Coffee there and go up to Space Center parking lot as its higher up and do the same thing .

The Plateau Expresso has a small quick grab it and go spot at 1st and Scenic, in the small strip mall. And when Hastings get in their new building I heard there will be a coffee shop there also.
There will be so much for Cathy to explore when she gets into town.
Jane

Old 06-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Congratulations Cathy....you made a wise choice ....I think you'll like Alamogordo ....from what you described I also think you got a steal....I'm sure prices will soar in the future when more people discover Alamo.....I like the south end of town ...nice area......as for gardening ....Alamo is a solid zone 8 ...try a mix of native plants and "exotic"...perhaps even a palo verde...or even a Washington fan palm ....
Thanks, LRUA......I know I'll have a longer growing season in Alamo than I would have in Farmington, so I might even have time to get in a fall tomato plant or two before it starts getting cold.

I NOTICED a lot of palms. Palms just seem so out of place to me there, but a lot of people seem to really like them.

I was thinking purple sage, agave, yucca....etc. The palo verde (yellow or blue) might be an interesting choice, too!!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
As far as places to eat and others have mentioned places but if you drink Coffee although no Starbucks yet there is a great Coffee cafe on North Scenic drive right across from the Hospital called ''The Plateau Expresso'' and its on the side of the mountain and your above the city and they have an outdoor patio where you can sit and look at the city and valley below and see White Sands and the Organ mountains or at nite you can see all the lights of the city. Sometimes i'll get my Coffee there and go up to Space Center parking lot as its higher up and do the same thing .

The Plateau Expresso has a small quick grab it and go spot at 1st and Scenic, in the small strip mall. And when Hastings get in their new building I heard there will be a coffee shop there also.
There will be so much for Cathy to explore when she gets into town.
Jane
It all sounds like so much fun!!! So once I get the misery of moving/packing/selling out of the way......I didn't get a chance to drive out your way, but...all in good time!!! The Coffeeshop was recommended to me also for the WI-FI access, so my money says I'll be a frequent visitor up there with my laptop and a cuppa decaf at night!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Default Music

Cathy 4017: Thanks! I kinda expect that Alamo is too small to support much live music. Problem is, I'd much rather live in a small town than a big city like Albuquerque, which I'll probably have to do in order to play very much. I'm looking at small towns near Alb, like Moriarty...that might be the way to go. But Alamo sounds so perfect! I can hardly wait to get out there again and have a look around.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post

Jane
Hey Jane.....haven't been to Alamo since october as i have to get major auto repair done this monday so i can head down there.

Could you eleborate more on where Hastings is moving from Tenth St to......

Didn't know they built a strip mall at 1st and Senic....exciting to hear.

Hows the new movie complex at the north end of the Bi-pass.....

Also at White Sands Blvd and Tenth St weren't they building a new Shopping Center/Strip Mall.....

Thanks ....harry.....

Old 06-02-2007, 03:49 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Hey Jane.....haven't been to Alamo since october as i have to get major auto repair done this monday so i can head down there.

Could you eleborate more on where Hastings is moving from Tenth St to......

Didn't know they built a strip mall at 1st and Senic....exciting to hear.

Hows the new movie complex at the north end of the Bi-pass.....

Also at White Sands Blvd and Tenth St weren't they building a new Shopping Center/Strip Mall.....

Thanks ....harry.....
Harry,

Hastings is moving to the strip mall at 10th and White Sands where Albertsons was. Will be anxious to see it as I have been in Illinois since the end of March-long story- but am heading back on Fathers Day. Give me that hot dry heat anytime over this midwest humidity and 85 degrees..LOL

The strip mall is real tiny I think 3 stores on 1st and scenic.

As for the movie complex it hasn't been started yet.

Keep us posted when you come down. Would be fun to meet up.

Jane

Old 06-03-2007, 01:10 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Mulberry?? Yes, they do grow fast, but dang, you talk about a problematic, troublesome tree!!! It tears everything up, including sidewalks, sewer lines, etc. I grew up with the problems at my parents house before they finally got rid of the infernal thing, along with a sycamore tree. For now, the front is plain rock with nothing else. I'm going to put in some stuff later, but I am not sure what yet. I just have to go look and see what others have done....and what is available to put in! I was thinking mesquite (I love 'em, LOL!!), but they are water-demanding at the expense of everything else, including native grasses!
First Off, glad to hear you found your slice of heaven. I love Alamogordo. And hey El Paso, and Las Cruses are near by if you need more shopping or entertainment options. Las Cruses has many options.. so make sure to make a trip down that way, and if your a reader, please go visit COAS: My Book Store in Las Cruses NM, and tell them Jeff from Gamers Guild sent you.. They are super nice people and they will take great care of you.. heck they will even buy any old books you no longer want.

Now as far as that Mulberry Tree is concerned.. You cant plant them any longer, El Paso, Las cruses, and Alamogordo, all banned them for the reason you mentioned and many others. What are those trees that look like Weeping Willows but don't hang down like them? they are gaining popularity out that way. They are a light green leaf, and a white or light colored bark. My mother has one and it really cools off the yard under it.

Good luck out there, and welcome to the grand Southwest!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Since the Physical Therapy Center is indoors year around, and has regular hours for lap swimming (6am-6pm M-F), I will most likely go with that....
I forgot about the Physical Therapy Center having indoor swimming. I still think of it as the old ''Safeway'' grocery store before it was converted to the PT Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico