Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post

I wish there were an entry in the other part of city-data.com for High Rolls. I'd like to find out more about it.
Home Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce Scroll down on left hand side to ''Area Photographs'' towards the bottom and there's some great pictures of Alamogordo, White Sands, Cloudcroft, Bonito Lake and other places in the area.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,078,179 times
Thanks, harry o, I've already done that. I love that area. I know of no other place with so much variety in such a small region. It seems to me that Alamogordo in winter and Cloudcroft in summer would be just about perfect. A 4300-foot difference in elevation in only about 22 road miles!

I still wish High Rolls were in the 'small towns' section of this site, just to get more statistics on it!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 PM

502 posts, read 1,374,389 times
Cathy, welcome to Southern NM. I think you will love it here.
Some ideas for ya on the local food. If ya like BBQ, catfish, fried oysters and a few other things ya need to check out Spring Mountain BBQ between the 11 and 12 mile marker on the Cloudcroft Hiway (82) best you will ever eat and a really friendly down home atmosphere. Tell them I sent ya and you will without a doubt get the works.

Catman, what info are ya looking for in the High Rolls/Mountain Park area.
I was raised here, left for 15 years and have been back for about 14 years.
Anything I can do for ya let me know.
Mike

Old 06-17-2007, 02:32 AM

Thanks, mtncat/Mike. I would like to be able to compare High Rolls' climate to those of Alamogordo and Cloudcroft; I would think it's in between those two. I'd also like to know about the real estate around there; it seems so desirable to me that it's probably expensive. Are there any utilities? As I said, I wish the other part of city-data.com had an entry for High Rolls. Is Mtn Park east or west of High Rolls? I love that area, but I haven't been there for several years; I don't remember either one on my trips betwen Cloudcroft and Alamogordo, but I wasn't looking.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Some ideas for ya on the local food. If ya like BBQ, catfish, fried oysters and a few other things ya need to check out Spring Mountain BBQ between the 11 and 12 mile marker on the Cloudcroft Hiway (82)
mtncat.....is the Tunnel Steakhouse and Bar still open there in High Rolls. That used to be a cool place to go to back in the 1980's......

Old 06-17-2007, 10:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:
Some ideas for ya on the local food. If ya like BBQ, catfish, fried oysters and a few other things ya need to check out Spring Mountain BBQ between the 11 and 12 mile marker on the Cloudcroft Hiway (82) best you will ever eat and a really friendly down home atmosphere. Tell them I sent ya and you will without a doubt get the works.

Catman, what info are ya looking for in the High Rolls/Mountain Park area.
I was raised here, left for 15 years and have been back for about 14 years.
Anything I can do for ya let me know.
Mike
Thanks, Mike, the welcome is appreciated, and I am getting more and more excited as the time to move approaches!! I'll be sure and check that out!!

I am also looking for one of those holes-in-the-wall Mexican food places.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 PM

502 posts, read 1,374,389 times
catman, the High Rolls/Mountain park area is pretty much between CLoudcroft and Alamogordo depending on exactly where you are. I live just 2 miles from where I work and my work area is colder then Cloudcroft and the house is warmer.
Real estate prices vary ALOT. I know of 2 acres that just sold (no water rights, he had to buy a domestic right from an individual) the land sold for $96,500.00
The other side of the hiway for some reason is alot cheaper though.
Mtn Park borders High Rolls to the East.
Utilities are not a problem.

Harry O the Tunnel is closed down, use to be the best place around for a good steak.

Cathy, ya might try the Old Road cafe over in Mescalero, GREAT mexican food.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM

Mtncat: Thanks for the info. That is a rather daunting real-estate price. I'll have a look around, hopefully this fall. I knew High Rolls/Mtn Park are on the highway between Alamo and Cloudcroft, having fantasized over maps and Earth Google for quite some time. Alamogordo may be the way to go for me. Perhaps I should rent there for a while before I decide where to buy. It's probably a good idea to rent in any case at first.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:
catman, the High Rolls/Mountain park area is pretty much between CLoudcroft and Alamogordo depending on exactly where you are. I live just 2 miles from where I work and my work area is colder then Cloudcroft and the house is warmer.
Real estate prices vary ALOT. I know of 2 acres that just sold (no water rights, he had to buy a domestic right from an individual) the land sold for $96,500.00
The other side of the hiway for some reason is alot cheaper though.
Mtn Park borders High Rolls to the East.
Utilities are not a problem.

Harry O the Tunnel is closed down, use to be the best place around for a good steak.

Cathy, ya might try the Old Road cafe over in Mescalero, GREAT mexican food.
Ouch on the land price....wow.

Thanks for the info on the restaurant!! I hear that Tularosa has a good one, too....now all I need is to find a good furniture place. I need a dining table...and since it's going to be the last one I buy, I want one that reflects the area, SW-style. I have been looking online in EP, but the shipping charges are horrendous!!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,290 times
Cathy,
We will have to find a pick-up... or sweet talk my dh with his trailer..LOL
3 hrs from home and I can't wait, 1st on the adgenda is going by your house.. will take a pic with my camera phone..
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico