Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

224 posts, read 686,480 times

Advertisements

My mother lives in New Mexico, in a little town called Mimbres just north of Las Cruces. We are going to spend this summer with her. My birthday is in July and she wants us to take a trip to Albuqurque so the kids can go to the waterpark at the Raddison. I think this might be fun, but I have read alot of bad reviews on that hotel. What are your thoughts on that particular waterpark? Is the Raddison worth what you pay for? Also, I am open to suggestions of other places to visit. The waterpark activity is not set in stone, so if someone would like to recommend a better place to visit (as long as its in New Mexico and its kid friendly) I am all ears. It doesn't necessarily have to be a hotel either. We're pretty outdoorsy. Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading any informative, polite replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,702,579 times
I don't think too many people travel to NM to visit a waterpark! Mimbres is a gateway to the vast Gila Wilderness. You could spend weeks exploring that area if you are pretty outdoorsy. Besides, there's a Wet 'n' Wild Waterworld just across the TX border in El Paso that would be closer than Albuquerque.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,142,361 times
If you're driving, you'd be remissed if you didn't detour to Balmorhea TX (it's on the way to Cruces), which is like a water park in its own right.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,899,180 times
I don't identify Mimbres with Las Cruces at all! It's just east of Silver City, if it's the one I'm thinking of and it sure doesn't qualify as being called a town. A community, maybe.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
My birthday is in July and she wants us to take a trip to Albuqurque so the kids can go to the waterpark at the Raddison. I think this might be fun, but I have read alot of bad reviews on that hotel. What are your thoughts on that particular waterpark?
The waterpark just opened... One of the users here went yesterday, had a good time, took pictures and it is discussed in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...rt-update.html

I don't know where you live, where you are driving from, but for me and my family Albuquerque has a lot to do. Waterpark is last on my mind the City of Albuquerque already has five indoor pools and seven outdoor pools and Rio Rancho and Corrales have about five more. I would take them to Jemez springs, jump in the water, then go get some Indian Fry Bread...

You might get better answers if you give an idea what city you are coming from. I would not drive five hours one way from Mimbres to get to Albuquerque. But I don't know, you might be driving through.

Rich

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,899,180 times
Quote:
My mother lives in New Mexico, in a little town called Mimbres just north of Las Cruces. We are going to spend this summer with her.
If you're going to be spending the summer, there is a great wealth of history surrounding the Mimbres valley, Silver City, the Gila forested areas, etc. And great scenery to enjoy.

When I hear "Mimbres" the first thing that springs to mind is the fantastic pottery that can still be found (shards anyway) in the region. Mimbres pottery is considered the finest decorative pottery ever produced in the southwest by pre-columbian tribes. When out walking the hills, keep a sharp eye out for the shards. It's highly unlikely that entire pots can still be found, but you just never know.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
If you're going to be spending the summer, there is a great wealth of history surrounding the Mimbres valley, Silver City, the Gila forested areas, etc. And great scenery to enjoy.

When I hear "Mimbres" the first thing that springs to mind is the fantastic pottery that can still be found (shards anyway) in the region. Mimbres pottery is considered the finest decorative pottery ever produced in the southwest by pre-columbian tribes. When out walking the hills, keep a sharp eye out for the shards. It's highly unlikely that entire pots can still be found, but you just never know.

I love this C-D because it leads me to connections, like that of the Mogollon:

NMNH Anthropology : Mimbres Pottery

Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
Pure complete envy! Take a look at the New Mexico Tourist site on line and take your pick of the places to see and things to do.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,224,708 times
Quote:
My mother lives in New Mexico, in a little town called Mimbres just north of Las Cruces. We are going to spend this summer with her. My birthday is in July and she wants us to take a trip to Albuqurque so the kids can go to the waterpark at the Raddison. I think this might be fun, but I have read alot of bad reviews on that hotel. What are your thoughts on that particular waterpark? Is the Raddison worth what you pay for? Also, I am open to suggestions of other places to visit. The waterpark activity is not set in stone, so if someone would like to recommend a better place to visit (as long as its in New Mexico and its kid friendly) I am all ears. It doesn't necessarily have to be a hotel either. We're pretty outdoorsy. Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading any informative, polite replies.
Mimbres, nice place.
If you like to camp, you'll have to rough it a bit.
Lower Scorpion campground in the Gila National Forest is fine,
the washroom has a toilet & sink to wash up at, cold water only.
Don't know about Upper Scorpion campground, never been there.
Mesa Campground is nice for campers, e.g, travel trailers, truck campers, and such, electric available, washrooms, campsites have water available, it's pretty nice. Be sure to bring plenty of provisions, because you should expect the unexpected, closest filling station is in Mimbres, see the Gila Cliff Dwellings while you're there.
A word of advice, make sure you keep a clean camp, no empty food cans or containers lying about, keep food secured in airtight containers, be alert for black bears, do not feed any wildlife.
Black Bear Safety Technigues

Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,231 times
Its not even a water park go take a trip to Carlsbad instead.or g to the blue hole. as far as a place to stay in Albuquerque just dont stay at any place off of central. The Gila wilderness is really fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico