Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 AM

805 posts, read 1,505,520 times

Advertisements

I read that N Mexico has less of a pollen problem as I am allergic to it. Just want to make sure. Do areas vary in pollen count as far as where people live who suffer from hay fever?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I read that N Mexico has less of a pollen problem as I am allergic to it. Just want to make sure. Do areas vary in pollen count as far as where people live who suffer from hay fever?

Thanks.
I don't know that I'd agree with that. It all depends on what the pollen is.

I don't know what it was, but I lived on Alavert when I was up at Sipapu/Vadito (NE NM) above Las Vegas, NM. I was in the middle of the Carson National Forest in Feb-March, and I've never had my eyes hurt and burn so badly. It was worse than juniper and/or ragweed ever were in either WT or southern NM.

Never mind the headaches (not due to the elevation) that went along with all that.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,514,065 times
Quote:

Thanks.
The beautiful trees and plants around Albuquerque can cause problems for people sensitive to the pollen they produce. Here you can learn when different types of pollen are produced: Pollen - Air Quality - City of Albuquerque

Yes areas vary in pollen count: http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ghlight=Pollen

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ghlight=Pollen

New Mexico has the pollen which causes hay fever and it varies between individuals and from region to region.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,898,470 times
Whenever the question of allergies arises in someone's discussion of moving from one locale to another, I cite my own experience with severe allergy in my younger days. Moving from the very arid El Paso climate to the very humid Gulf Coast area cured me instantly - and glory be, I've not been bothered again since moving back to this arid desert region.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,026,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart
... Moving from the very arid El Paso climate
to the very humid Gulf Coast area cured me ...
not been bothered again since moving back ...
That's just weird.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,717,113 times
I saw one of our junipers release the season's first white cloud of death today. That means itchy eyes, sneezes and runny noses are not far behind.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:

Thanks.
have you been tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to? This is the secret no matter where you live. If the pollens you are allergic to are in the area you will have trouble, if not, you should be fine. Example: if you are allergic to Juniper or cactus you will be miserable, if you are allergic to salt water fish you have nothing to worry about. everyplace has pollin, and much of NM has a lot.

Nita

Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

213 posts, read 766,988 times
Yes, find out what you are alllergic to and then you can utililze www.pollen.com . You can sign up to receive an email alert for a particular zipcode. The alert will list the allergy level and the allergens for the next few days.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,224,206 times
Someone told me that if you do not have allergies when you came to New Mexico, you will after you've been here awhile.
Don't know if it's true or not.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,016,358 times
Like others have said, most of it depends on you. I was allergic to rabbit-brush in NM, which meant I couldn't see straight for part of the spring. Here in IL, I'm more allergic to mold, which is pretty much here year round, but was never a problem in NM. I don't think I've ever seen two people react to allergies the same time and in the same way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico