U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 AM

169 posts, read 178,081 times
Default Relocation advice needed (Taos in particular).

My wife and I have particular requirements for relocation and would really appreciate any advice from the locals in NM. We are in our 40's and tired of the heat and humidity of Kentucky summers. We are both changing careers, she is an RN and I am in school. I am willing to make myself as marketable as possible just to be able to move west of the Rockies but am primarily considering becoming a H.S. math teacher or accountant. Is Taos going to work for us professionally? We visited the area in summer of 2008 and fell in love with it. Our original choice is Durango, CO but for various reasons, doesn't look promising so we've now decided to look in other states. We prefer a mountain town and are willing to consider other places in NM but don't want to go smaller than Taos' population. We have no children.
Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 PM

15 posts, read 14,909 times
A registered nurse and a math teacher? You are a rural communities dream couple.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,163,286 times
Wink Should it suit

Durango, CO is a lovely place, but in many ways dissimilar to Taos. As you may have gleaned from your visit, Taos is unique unto itself. If Durango is your first love, you might question in which ways Taos will prove the better match. A great place, but not for everyone.

Assuming you've come to terms with the first question, then your biggest challenge likely financial. Real estate in Taos tends to be expensive. With a small job market not adverse to nepotism. You might both find employment in your chosen fields, but probably doing so because determined, with enough perseverance.

If appreciably larger, but still somewhat small, Santa Fe is another option. A different feel, but sharing many of the sensibilities one will find along the Rio Grande of northern New Mexico. It is a world like no other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico