Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM

175 posts, read 439,213 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that temperatures are going to be fairly mild in the winter. Highs in the 50's and lows and the 20's. An occasional snow occurs as well. Summer days can sometimes have highs exceeding 100.

Housing- not sure.

Schools- Not sure either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 15,568 times
Weather is accurate as described above. Schools have both good and bad. I would say meet your individual administrator and teachers to decide for yourself.
Depending on what you are accustomed to and how much you earn, daycare will likely be high, (a major portion of your income). Upside is lots of things to do with little ones. Parks, mountains, river, lake, sandhills etc!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
The schools in Carlsbad for elementry kids would be Eddy, Pucket, Riverside, Sunset,Craft,Pate, Monterrey Joe stanley Smith Jefferson Montessori Academy, St.Edwards, and Faith Christian academy (though i dont recommend this school there is alot of controversy over the quality of education and graduating oppurtunities) We also have Two Middle Highs 1 high school and one alternative school. JMA offers k-12 St edwards i think does k-5/6 Faith is Preschool to 12. The others are 1 - 5 to my knowledge. JMA is a charter school they only accept so many kids a year, with returning kids getting the first slots, but offers a wide grade span. We have Aladdins Castle, Happiness Christian Day care, Tender Care, PJ childe care center, ABC Christian Daycare and San Jose Daycare. For older children there is the Project playgrounds, a rather large wood playground plenty of swings and slides places to climb and hide. There is also a place for toddlers and smaller children that has a swing set, a small area for sitting, a sand pit, some blocks to play tic tac toe with, and some sallon type places to hide in. We also have the old rocket play ground, but there are only a few scatterd bits of slides and swings (there metal so please use caution in the summer) Some neighborr hoods have playgrounds also. ON the outskirts there are a few trails to take, nice for exploring, We have the Living Desert which you children will most likely end up takeing a field trip atleast once to. It has alot of the native animals of New mexico, and a few unexpcted ones. Its a long walk to see it all , so i suggest a stroller or carrier so the lil one doesnt get to tierd. Also the famous Carlsbad Caverns, Ive always thought the bat flight release was something special, i think alot of people enjoy it. The caverns have always seemed huge to me, and i have heard of reccent renovations to the walking paths to make it easier, again a long walk, but it will generaly be cooler, there is also an elevator for a quick trip to the top or bottom if you tire. Its a nice place to visit. To my knowledge there are three or four apartment Complexes I remeber one having a Pool. there are a few houses that seems to be good starter houses, but get vacated once the person settles in. One house we rented was in the 900$ but wasnt properly insulated, another was in the 300 range, it really depends on what your looking for. There are I think 3 trailer parks also, some better places than others. In the summer, expect the heat, in the winter, expect cold days and colder nights, the fall and spring are really the best, this year the spring felt lik summer! That is one of the few downfalls of New Mexico being the tempuratrue. I believe the Carslbad HIgh Schools Pool is now open to the public I belive its 2$ on saturday and sunday, and I might recall you being able to swim after school is out during the week. It features one large swimming pool with a deep end and diveing board, One kiddie pool like 2 ft of watter, and i belive in the summer they offer swimming lessons too! The Pecos flows through our town, so there is a few places to swim on "the Beach" as locals call it, and Brantley lake which is off of the main high way, is a nice place to set down an R.V for the weeknd and camp and swim, though you might need to pay for a pass to stay. I live here, and thats all that comes to mind as of now.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 AM

52 posts, read 117,394 times
Default Carlsbad

We are looking to move to the Carlsbad area hopefully before May. Can anyone tell me what the jobs are like and what the area is like. We are going to visit my dad later this week who lives in Hobbs and are planning on making it that way.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Why Carlsbad?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosd View Post
We are looking to move to the Carlsbad area hopefully before May. Can anyone tell me what the jobs are like and what the area is like. We are going to visit my dad later this week who lives in Hobbs and are planning on making it that way.
I doubt there is much for jobs as what can you really find for a town of 25,000 people although i guess it depends on what skills or trades you may or may not have. That being said there is the WIPP (Dept of Energy) and also the Potash mines are located there that help support the local economy.

The desert is very hard core as it gets hot in the summer as highs average around 104 but there is the really nice Pecos river that runs right thru the town and just north of town is Brantley Reservior State Park where you can water ski/Jet ski etc. for summer water recreation and the Guadalupe mountains are nearby.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
If you will search this forum there is another thread on here about Carlsbad. I lived there for about a year and a half and wouldn't move back. There were no jobs then I don't know about now.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM

52 posts, read 117,394 times
I am in the health care field. More assisted living/long term care is where my experience is. My fiance has experience in mechanic work. We dont mind if we have to drive alittle for jobs. Due to now I drive 20 miles one way and he drives that altogether. Is it a nice town to live in? We have looked at Hobbs but it is expensive to rent there.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
It is a small town with a very small town attitude. The politics are terrible as normal in a small town. While you would probably be able to find a job in your field not to sure how good the pay is. As far as having to drive alittle it is more than 20 miles in any direction from Carlsbad for jobs. It is 36 miles to Artesia which is even smaller than Carlsbad, 69 to Hobbs and 76 to Roswell. When we were there rentals were hard to find in a good area, maybe if you are going to do an apt you might find something. There is limited shopping they have a Super Walmart, one local store and they did have an Albertsons. For some reason despite the fact there are oil rigs everywhere gas is expensive there. Here is a link to their daily paper, you might get more of an idea about the place. Home - Carlsbad Current-Argus

Personally when we left I said I would never go back. The town fathers are unwilling to allow it to grow and prosper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I lived in Carlsbad for a few years and enjoyed it. I found it easy to make friends. It was a good fit for when my kids were little. It wouldn't fit my lifestyle now. Carlsbad is very isolated. There is limited shopping, eating, and things to do. The cost of living has gone up in the last few years and housing prices almost doubled, but when we lived in Carlsbad it was lower. Wal-Mart seemed to be a great equilizer because everyone had to shop there regardless of income.

We love rural areas and enjoyed sightseeing over the entire state. We've been to a lot of places the locals never go. We might retire to New Mexico someday, but we don't want to move back to Carlsbad. We were able to make it fun and we enjoy going back to visit. We were there over the holidays and we were disappointed to see that the town has gotten worse. Ajzjmsmom is correct that the home town politics are terrible. It's laughable if you're not mired down in them. The problem is that Carlsbad could be a very nice place to live or visit. The powers that be hold it back.

You can make living in Carlsbad work and even be enjoyable. It's all dependent upon what you want and need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico