Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 46,419 times

Advertisements

I would like some info about the city of Carslbad from people who live there or have lived there. What is the job market like? What about affordable housing? Are there rattlesnake and scorpions? City taxes, cost of living...
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM

71 posts, read 318,409 times
Are you planning on moving there? Why Carlsbad?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM

I may be moving there. I lived there about 30 years ago and have fond memories of it. I have lived in Michigan for the past 17 years and want to get away from the cold. I love the desert, no snow to shovel or drive in! I have lived in Albuquerque and prefer a smaller city.
Is Carlsbad prone to flooding, seeing as a river runs through the city.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 PM

885 posts, read 292,353 times
my brother and mom both live in Carlsbad. It is a beautiful city. I wish I could live there too. What type of job are you looking for? Never seen or heard of rattle snakes or scorpions. My mom lives up in the hills and she hasn't said anything about them. Haven't heard about flooding either. Cost of living Yikes! Are you talking buying or renting? My brother bought a house out there 9 yrs ago It was a divorce sale so it was a steal at 235,000 It is now worth 800,000+ . I wish I would of made a move out there when I had the chance years ago. Now It's way too high. Hopefully you can, it's just a beautiful friendly city don't hesitate to move there if you can afford it.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Vienna, are you sure you are not referring to Carlsbad, CALIFORNIA because I don't think that there are houses here worth more than $450 000, and those are few and far between. Also there are plenty or scorpions and few rattlesnakes here. If you live through the summer here, you are sure to get a few scorpions inside your home. They are not deadly though.

smiles48650 - if you lived here 30 years ago then you will notice that the city has hardly changed. In fact, it may have gotten smaller. Still pretty run down for the most part. The river is nice and probably the only part of the city that is well kept probably because that is where the mayor lives. There was a flood here about 2 years ago that wiped out a road that the city fixed this year - they waited that long because its not a route that the mayor had to take routinely. No sewer system here so there is some street flooding when it rains but for the most part flooding is not a major residential issue.

If you want to move to the desert and prefer a small city then las cruces or roswell are better choices.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 AM

79 posts, read 326,532 times
Default just returned from visiting Carlsbad

Smiles,
I grew up in Carlsbad, so I can totally relate to your nostalgia!
I drove back there last weekend to visit family. It seemed greener than I remembered (more grass and trees).
I took my husband and children to the Caverns and the evening bat flight. It wasn't as spectacular as I remembered it as a kid, but the family was all impressed.
We went horseback riding on the vacant land next to my Dad's property...it got hot enough to break a sweat, but it was not bad as there was NO humidity. We also went to a car show and Statewide Firefighters' Rescue competition at the common area by the beach. There was a chili cook-off also. It was really fun, even my grumpy teenege son admitted he had a good time.

I remember the flood from a few years ago, my Dad sent me pictures. I did not see any evidence of the damage from that flood this last weekend. The main street does flood every time there is a heavy rain.
I was a little confused by spindoc's comment that there is no sewer system...Last time I looked, when I flushed the toilet, it went down...into the sewer? Maybe spindoc is referring to a gutter system for the runoff from the streets?
Yes, on the outskirts (and maybe even the middle) of town there are still scorpions and rattlesnakes. I've heard stories, but not seen any in many, many years.
As for jobs, most of my family either works for the mones or the city...so I do not have much info there.
It is still a "Good 'Ol Boys" town, so your experience may depend on who you associate yourself with.
Good luck in your decision to mave back...I hope it's what you're looking for!
We're thinking of moving back after our teens graduate from high school (don't want to have to battle them on moving away from their friends).
Rose

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM

thanks for the info. I do remember running into a few scorpions when I lived there. A few in our back yard and then my mom almost ran over one in the Safeway grocery store, that one was HUGE and the whole store heard me scream. LOL The town I live in now is small and a few families control the town so I know what you mean by "good ol boys". I just want a quiet place to live and enjoy life. I definately want to buy a house, on the the outskirts of town. I do clarical work and hope to work in a library again, got laid off this year due to millage failure. Also, my husband does home health care type of work. Am alos looking for a place that would have services for my son who has Asperger's/Autism. Thanks again for thr info.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,766 posts, read 4,119,699 times
Default What ???

Vienna, I don't think you're talking about Carlsbad New Mexico. Do you even know what forum you're posting in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
my brother and mom both live in Carlsbad. It is a beautiful city. I wish I could live there too. What type of job are you looking for? Never seen or heard of rattle snakes or scorpions. My mom lives up in the hills and she hasn't said anything about them. Haven't heard about flooding either. Cost of living Yikes! Are you talking buying or renting? My brother bought a house out there 9 yrs ago It was a divorce sale so it was a steal at 235,000 It is now worth 800,000+ . I wish I would of made a move out there when I had the chance years ago. Now It's way too high. Hopefully you can, it's just a beautiful friendly city don't hesitate to move there if you can afford it.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
I think Carlsbad is a neet city and is my favorate behind Alamogordo... I really dig the Pecos river and Brantley Reservoir just north of town and its close to the Guadalupe mountains and the Caverns. I hope it grows and prospers.......

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM

wishful thinking harry o - unfortunately carlsbad has not grown in about 30 years. The pecos and brantley lake, the caverns, the desert zoo are all great places in and around the city. However, the people running the city - the good 'ol boys club - don't really care much for maintaining the city and have allowed it to be rundown with vacant boarded up buildings, streets with potholes, lack of restaurants and shopping to prevent competition for their own businesses. The only way this city can grow is to get rid of its corrupt, selfish leaders. In politics this is not usually an easy task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico