Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM

18 posts, read 51,090 times

Advertisements

Just an update: My wife and daughter DID drive 25-380-54 from ABQ to Alamogordo Monday night. The biggest complaint was how LONG the drive was and, in fact, they plan to drive back to ABQ on Thursday during the day rather than trying to race northward Friday to catch their noon plane.

The wife was able to verify everything we discovered through this forum, e-mails and the internet and more. We have settled on a place and hope to complete our move before the end of this summer!

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum, for there is a lot of information here. And, many good folks gladly giving some time to pass on some information, comments and advice.

I'm sure I'll have more questions to pester you with!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

390 posts, read 948,597 times
I am a 65 year old widow that drives the 380 to 54 many times. I feel safe and secure. Just be careful of the deer along the road. Some of the areas you will not have cell service so be sure you have a reliable car.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM

390 posts, read 948,597 times
Just an addition, she may also consider 70 to Las Cruces then up I-25 to Albuquerque. Better cell service and and patrolled by the State Police.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,587,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-couple View Post
Just an update: My wife and daughter DID drive 25-380-54 from ABQ to Alamogordo Monday night. The biggest complaint was how LONG the drive was and, in fact, they plan to drive back to ABQ on Thursday during the day rather than trying to race northward Friday to catch their noon plane.

The wife was able to verify everything we discovered through this forum, e-mails and the internet and more. We have settled on a place and hope to complete our move before the end of this summer!

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum, for there is a lot of information here. And, many good folks gladly giving some time to pass on some information, comments and advice.

I'm sure I'll have more questions to pester you with!

Thanks again!
Very glad to hear that the trip was successful. Good luck with your move

Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Well, now I'm wondering how I want to return to Alamogordo.......!

I came up the way I mentioned first--Alamogordo, Carrizozo, San Antonio, I-25, 550, etc.

There were 10 miles of construction at 45 MPH on 54 before I hit the turnoff to 380, and I had forgotten that the speed limit was so low on so much of it, along with all of the slowdowns, stops, starts and turns! Amazing how memory fades after 3 years!

Don't get me wrong--the roads are in good shape, but I'm wondering now if I want to add 80 miles to my return trip, and go on down to Cruces on I-25 at mostly 75 MPH. I made it here (Durango) in 7 hours.

I imagine with the higher speed limit and fewer stops/starts/turns, the time will be about the same, but probably a little less aggravating.

The turnoff from I-25 to 550 around Bernalillo is STILL a big fat mess 3 years later!! I am beginning to think that it's going to be a permanent mess, too. Just terrible!!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
The return trip was a little longer, but as I missed my turn in Atzec, I went all the way to Farmington and back to Bloomfield, adding an unnecessary almost-30 mile loop, as well as having to go all the way through Farmington.

I wanted to see Farmington again after 3 years, so it was no big deal, and I enjoyed the extra side trip!

So, I'm going back up there soon, and will go via LC from Alamo--it really is a less stressful drive, but both ways will be better when the construction is finished. The border checkpoint on 70 is going to slow things down a bit, too.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 658 times
I am fearful of heights believe it or not. I am traveling from Albuquerque to Alamogordo. I need route that is not going to give me panic attack on 2 lane road with steep drops. Can someone help tell me best route?

Old 11-30-2019, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 658 times
Default Route from Albuquerque to Alamogordo NM

Please help! I am leaving tomorrow

Old 11-30-2019, 09:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,800,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlesterwilliams View Post
Please help! I am leaving tomorrow
I would vote to go down I -25 then east on US 70. It is interstate and then 4 lanes from Las Cruces to Alamogordo. May not be the shortest but it is the easiest to drive.

I was on US 54 all the way from El Paso to Tucumcari last month. It was interesting but I would not do it again. Especially at night.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:08 PM

138 posts, read 143,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I was on US 54 all the way from El Paso to Tucumcari last month. It was interesting but I would not do it again. Especially at night.
I always drive that route when I travel from Missouri to Alamo driving the opposite direction. A couple of times I did it at night. It made the wife a little bit nervous, but it didn't bother me none.

You want scary? We went once over to Arizona to see a couple of things before heading east back to Alamogordo. The wife (driving) decided to divert from the boring "scenic" road we'd been on and we went through on US 191. Don't do that! That's a very long trip through mountains with steep dropoffs, sharp turns and not very many guard rails anywhere on most of those sharp curves.

https://excessivelocity.blogspot.com...s-highway.html

Rumors are people have gone over cliffs and never been found. I believe it! I read they close that part in the winter because it's undriveable. It's no joyride in the summer in broad daylight, I'll tell you that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico