Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Yes....ice cubes and cold drinks for sure, LOL!

Since I will probably be spending a lot of the summer in CO when I can, no indoor pool here in the summer is not going to be that big of an issue now. My condo complex has both indoor-outdoor pools, so I'll still have a place to go some of the time.

But I will really miss the Physical Therapy Center pool. It is 25 yards or meters (?) and has only 4 lanes, but the extended hours (6am-5pm M-F) mean that I rarely ever have to wait for an open lane. It has a neat floor-to ceiling window to the outside, and that is always pleasant.

The new PTC is opening in a brand-new facility, but they will have neither a lap pool nor a therapy pool, which is too bad. I'll cancel my membership when they move, which is supposedly in Feb/March 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
It surprises me that the new PTC won't have those. I wonder why? It's certainly a step backward.

CO in summer, Alamogordo in winter? That sounds great, although I'd as soon have something up Cloudcroft-Timberon way for summer.

You are near Durango in CO (when you are there), right? I am wondering if the Valley View Lodge is still up there. It was/is about 5 miles north of Durango on US 550, on the west side of the road.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I've never been sunburned at high elevation, but I have noticed that I tan more rapidly than I do back here!

Wow, you're quite the swimmer. I don't do it often enough to have any expertise, although I basically know how. I wouldn't know where to go to do it if I got the urge. All of the public pools here are closed due to the budget crunch, and I wouldn't want to go there anyway. Lately, my idea of exercise is getting the ice cubes out of a tray.
I have to say, Catman, that I was sunburned, worse than I probably ever have been previously, at Groundhog Lake north of Durango, last month. It's about 9500 feet there. It never went over 72, 73 degrees there, the 2 full days I was there. And it really wasn't 'that' sunny. That said, I was incredibly lit up from a day of trout fishing there. And that was with SPF 30. Back in Las Cruces, at 3900 feet, I have never burnt like I did up at Groundhog Lake.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It surprises me that the new PTC won't have those. I wonder why? It's certainly a step backward.

CO in summer, Alamogordo in winter? That sounds great, although I'd as soon have something up Cloudcroft-Timberon way for summer.

You are near Durango in CO (when you are there), right? I am wondering if the Valley View Lodge is still up there. It was/is about 5 miles north of Durango on US 550, on the west side of the road.
The basic reason is money. Therapy and lap pools are expensive to maintain, and as I understand it, that was why they decided to leave them out.

That's what happens in a poor state and a poor community. Whether someone else will take up the slack remains to be seen. What is left to me after PTC moves into the new facilities is the Family Rec Center...and while it's nice to have that remaining option, it's really not very well taken care of...another instance where having money in a community makes a huge difference. Alamo doesn't have it at this point in time. I imagine the pool will be closed, filled in..and the space converted back to office space. The building is owned by Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center.

I'm 18 miles north of Durango off of 550. The Summit (edge of town) where we used to stay for skiing is gone, along with a lot of the other older stuff.

This is the only thing I found for Valley View....not remembering the original after 25 years, I don't know whether this is a remodeling of the old structure...or is completely new.

Valley View Lodge Apartments : Durango, CO

Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
The the ultraviolet UV index is a measurement of how strong the UV radiation from the sun is at a particular place. Its purpose is to help people to effectively protect themselves from UV light, of which excessive exposure causes sunburns, eye damage such as cataracts, skin aging, and skin cancer etc.
It is not always obvious what is burning your skin, and UV passes through clouds easily so you can be fooled. Here is a US map which shows the UV intensities. UV Index | SunWise | US EPA you can enter your city or zip to get a current rating.

Rich

Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM

For Alamogordo today: 10

EPA has issued a UV Alert for your area today

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is expected to be unusually intense.

But I get the same number (10) for my former zip of 79707.

With 1700 ft difference in altitude, you can guess which one is going to burn more and feel more intense.

I'm also finding out what 7500 ft is like in the summer!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 09-09-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM

The UV number is 10+ here in Fort Worth almost all summer, and I'm at 650 feet elevation.

Thos apartments look NOTHING like the old lodge did. It was a motel. In 1982, it was $22/night with a kitchenette! Those were the days.

Mike0421: The temperature doesn't have anything to do with it. One cooks in a hurry at 9500 feet! The effective UV index up there must be about 20.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Forgot to address this. Yes, if I were not so hung up on skiing (and determined to make up for lost time in the time I have left!), CC or Timberon would be an ideal solution, and I did seriously consider both, as well as Ruidoso.

So, it will eventually end up being about half and half.....3 months during ski season (possibly 4 if the snow is good) and 3 months during the hottest part of the year.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM

That sounds great for you. I suppose you NEED to be where it is really cold in winter (by my lights). I like to be able to ride my motorcycle year-round, so I don't want to be where it stays cold for protracted periods. There is no colder location than on a motorcycle when it's cold! The wind chill is ferocious. (Not to mention frozen precip on the road!)

Silverton must be beautiful when it is snowy, and cold at 9300' elevation! Does the waterfall between it and Ouray freeze in winter?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
That sounds great for you. I suppose you NEED to be where it is really cold in winter (by my lights). I like to be able to ride my motorcycle year-round, so I don't want to be where it stays cold for protracted periods. There is no colder location than on a motorcycle when it's cold! The wind chill is ferocious. (Not to mention frozen precip on the road!)

Silverton must be beautiful when it is snowy, and cold at 9300' elevation! Does the waterfall between it and Ouray freeze in winter?
Yes. The older I get, the more I hate the heat...and the more intolerant of it I get! I don't necessarily have to be in really cold (but I'll get that north of Durango for sure) weather...I just don't want to be hot!! Last winter here was fantastic, the best yet. But it still wasn't that cold.

I don't want warm winters any more, TYVM! I'd prefer days to average 40 or below, but we've had days of 80s in Jan-Feb here. I want to have to wear at least light jackets. I have gone mostly jacketless and shirtsleeves here in the winter My jackets all have cobwebs on them.

As a biker, I can see where you'd prefer the more temperate climates..and if you want temperate, Alamo really does fit the bill other than hot-as-hell summer!

Silverton and Ouray are gorgeous in the winter. I haven't seen either one yet in the summer, but that's for another year! I haven't been to either place since the very early 80s, so I don't remember the waterfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico