Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking of moving to Roswell at some point in the future.How is the cost of living in Roswell?...I live in Midland, Texas.COL is through the roof here due to the oil boom.Do oil booms drastically increase the cost of living there like it does here in Midland-Odessa?I know the oil booms can really push up prices in towns like Carlsbad and Hobbs. I once paid over 300 for a room at a motel in Carlsbad during the last oil boom.Is the cost of living in Roswell less than Carlsbad and Hobbs?It seems like it might be due to being further from the oil fields.I will work from home if i ever live there so jobs wont be an issue.I am asking yall cuz i figured most of the info would be out of date and old.How much are apartments in a safe area in the Alien City?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:42 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Roswell is on the edge of the oil boom, which in NM is commingled with some serious porkbarrel projects (FLETC, WIPP) so you're not going to find much relief in terms of prices there. If you look hard, you can find some ridiculously cheap houses if you want to buy and fix them up, but rents on nicer apartments and houses are illogically high.

The nearest producing oil well to Roswell is on the other side of Artesia, and that's already 45 minutes each way on top of however far it is to the oil work you're actually headed to. If you have free gasoline, free wear on your car, and your time is worthless or has negative value, you should consider moving to Roswell. It's not like Artesia or points south and east is cheap, but at least you're not spending an extra 2 hours a day working for the car dealership and gas stations to save a couple hundred on rent.

Most of the nicer and newer stuff in Roswell is on the northern edge, or at least end, of town, which makes your commute that much further. Plains Park (SW, near Roswell HS) has some decent 60's construction, and there's some beautiful historic district stuff near downtown. These are houses. I don't know if it's still true but the rumor was that the last time a new apartment complex was built was when Walker air base was still open. Plenty of apartment complexes that are 50+ years old and in the kind of conditions you'd expect.

Unless you're ready to make a six-figure commitment to Roswell real estate, my advice is to try RV living in the area for a while. The reason rents are so much higher than housing prices is because the quality of the housing is so poor, like bombed-out Detroit level poor. The city's tried demolishing a number of old base housing structures, and that may have paid off a bit.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:08 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Good notes by Zoidberg!

Carlsbad has been through the ceiling regarding room rates at motels for the last few years. C24L's mention of $300 does not surprise me. I just got through looking at rates for the various chain motels in Carlsbad and they start at $135.00 a night. What hurts here are the tourists heading to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It behooves them to stay in Roswell and make that 110 mile drive to the Park entrance. And from there you either head to 62/180 to El Paso or 285 to Pecos/Ft. Stockton. Or head back to Roswell and go to Albuquerque. I don't know how much the tourist situation hurts the town, though.

Roswell's rates aren't too bad. A good friend of mine who lived in Hagerman is still out in California taking care of his parents, I used to visit him yearly. I WAS through Roswell in October of 2016 as I was splurging on videos and cd's as the Hastings Entertainment franchise was doing a belly-up. I stayed at the Budget Inn which is right across the street from Denny's and IIRC the room was $32. Fast forward to now--the Motel 6 is maybe $15 higher but it's a newer building. There are several other motels going north on 285 and they are all on the east side of the street as the NMMI (New Mexico Military Institute) takes up four blocks on the left side. You might check with the Roswell C of C to see if there are any extended stay motels in the area, IIRC the Marriott/Town Place Hotel is one of them---I think.

Regarding apartments, I'll defer to Zoidberg's call here. Padmapper is a pretty good site to go through regarding apartment rentals. Not sure about the prices, but am pretty sure the rents are pretty high.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2018, 06:10 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I haven't lived in Roswell but I lived close by and visited Roswell a few times a year. Restaurants are reasonable. We stayed in a motel for a few days and it was reasonably priced. If you look at one of the real estate sites the homes seem like average price and lower. Roswell is the type of place where they have fancy neighborhoods in a certain section and then you go a mile and see not so fancy neighborhoods.

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I don't know if it's still true but the rumor was that the last time a new apartment complex was built was when Walker air base was still open.

Certainly not true! While Roswell hasn't enjoyed as much "booming" as some other once small towns, there have been apartment complexes built throughout the years. The newest as young as a year old and very much "contemporary." And, of course, the newer the complex, the more expensive the rents. But also the more amenities included (spas, pools, gyms, game rooms, etc.).

One example - built in 2017

Photo of new construction

Old 11-27-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Roswell is on the edge of the oil boom, which in NM is commingled with some serious porkbarrel projects (FLETC, WIPP) so you're not going to find much relief in terms of prices there. If you look hard, you can find some ridiculously cheap houses if you want to buy and fix them up, but rents on nicer apartments and houses are illogically high.

The nearest producing oil well to Roswell is on the other side of Artesia, and that's already 45 minutes each way on top of however far it is to the oil work you're actually headed to. If you have free gasoline, free wear on your car, and your time is worthless or has negative value, you should consider moving to Roswell. It's not like Artesia or points south and east is cheap, but at least you're not spending an extra 2 hours a day working for the car dealership and gas stations to save a couple hundred on rent.

Most of the nicer and newer stuff in Roswell is on the northern edge, or at least end, of town, which makes your commute that much further. Plains Park (SW, near Roswell HS) has some decent 60's construction, and there's some beautiful historic district stuff near downtown. These are houses. I don't know if it's still true but the rumor was that the last time a new apartment complex was built was when Walker air base was still open. Plenty of apartment complexes that are 50+ years old and in the kind of conditions you'd expect.

Unless you're ready to make a six-figure commitment to Roswell real estate, my advice is to try RV living in the area for a while. The reason rents are so much higher than housing prices is because the quality of the housing is so poor, like bombed-out Detroit level poor. The city's tried demolishing a number of old base housing structures, and that may have paid off a bit.
Well actually Zoidberg I am not going to work in the oilfields if I ever move to Roswell.I would live off of passive income.I just really like the town.Thanks.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good notes by Zoidberg!

Carlsbad has been through the ceiling regarding room rates at motels for the last few years. C24L's mention of $300 does not surprise me. I just got through looking at rates for the various chain motels in Carlsbad and they start at $135.00 a night. What hurts here are the tourists heading to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It behooves them to stay in Roswell and make that 110 mile drive to the Park entrance. And from there you either head to 62/180 to El Paso or 285 to Pecos/Ft. Stockton. Or head back to Roswell and go to Albuquerque. I don't know how much the tourist situation hurts the town, though.

Roswell's rates aren't too bad. A good friend of mine who lived in Hagerman is still out in California taking care of his parents, I used to visit him yearly. I WAS through Roswell in October of 2016 as I was splurging on videos and cd's as the Hastings Entertainment franchise was doing a belly-up. I stayed at the Budget Inn which is right across the street from Denny's and IIRC the room was $32. Fast forward to now--the Motel 6 is maybe $15 higher but it's a newer building. There are several other motels going north on 285 and they are all on the east side of the street as the NMMI (New Mexico Military Institute) takes up four blocks on the left side. You might check with the Roswell C of C to see if there are any extended stay motels in the area, IIRC the Marriott/Town Place Hotel is one of them---I think.

Regarding apartments, I'll defer to Zoidberg's call here. Padmapper is a pretty good site to go through regarding apartment rentals. Not sure about the prices, but am pretty sure the rents are pretty high.

Good luck to you!
Thanks DOUBLE H.I appreciate it.Also, thanks to everyone else.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Largest Threads About Roswell, 25 posts or more:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...oswell-nm.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...t-roswell.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...e-explain.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...olice-job.html

Old 12-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Thanks Poncho_NM.I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico