U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM

67 posts, read 124,192 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about the benefits of raw milk which are many, but it's really hard to find a supplier here in NM. Does anyone know of any farms or stores that sell raw dairy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 AM

750 posts, read 1,973,388 times
Sunshine Farms in Bosque Farms was the last raw milk source in the ABQ area that I was aware of. I believe they closed down due to newly implemented regulations/requirements. If you haven't already, you may want to check out the NM Alliance for Raw Milk.

Chap

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM

67 posts, read 124,192 times
thanks for the info. I tried the sunshine farms ph# but ended up with voicemail.
I shall continue my search... even if it means befriending a farmer, or buying my own cow!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Her

153 posts, read 484,570 times
Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

The site lists all sellers of raw milk by state. Sadly, Sunshine dairy doesn't seem to sell anymore. That is where I used to get mine from. It seems like the remaining way to get raw milk is to join a cow share. Good luck! After having tried raw milk, it has been difficult to get used to store bought again.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,853,044 times
Yet another article on raw vs pasteurized.

From a reference given in that article:
Quote:
New Mexico
Raw milk sales are legal if the farmer has obtained a permit from the state Department of Agriculture. Even though state law allows the sale of raw milk products, it has been the policy of the department to limit the permit to raw milk sales only.

There is a labeling requirement that all containers of retail raw milk must carry the statement "RAW MILK IS NOT PASTEURIZED AND MAY CONTAIN ORGANISMS THAT CAUSE HUMAN DISEASE."

At the present time, there is one farm that has a permit to sell raw goat milk. There are no other retail raw milk licensees in the state.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 28,277 times
If you have any luck, please post. I'm looking for raw milk, too! Just recently discovered it, thanks to a healthy sister-in-law in AZ and was able to down full glasses without any of my usual lactose intolerance side effects. I was amazed! Then, I was quickly disappointed to find I couldn't find it here!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM

631 posts, read 562,635 times
It's funny, I just saw a piece on the re-run of The Colbert Report from last night about an incident in California where a raw milk supplier was 'raided' by authorities with their guns drawn. It mainly mocked the people who are into raw milk. I don't know, I don't drink milk enough to care whether it's pasteurized or not. But then again I've never been one of those organic foodie types, either.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 PM

365 posts, read 527,030 times
I makes sense to get organic milk rather than regular. Regular milk has a lot of pus and antibiotics in it. They give the cows hormones that make them produce more milk. That causes infections, thus the pus and antibiotics.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is a bit sketchy. It's a good source of bacteria. It's not too dangerous for a normal, healthy person to drink. Most likely, you'd just get violently ill with a slight chance of death. But it's a very bad idea to give it to children, the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a weak immune system.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM

374 posts, read 369,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
I makes sense to get organic milk rather than regular. Regular milk has a lot of pus and antibiotics in it. They give the cows hormones that make them produce more milk. That causes infections, thus the pus and antibiotics.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is a bit sketchy. It's a good source of bacteria. It's not too dangerous for a normal, healthy person to drink. Most likely, you'd just get violently ill with a slight chance of death. But it's a very bad idea to give it to children, the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a weak immune system.
If the cows are raised correctly and precautions taken, raw milk is very safe to drink. In some cases, the raw milk is safer to drink then the junk sold at supermarkets. I would have no problem giving my child raw milk as long as I know the source well enough.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM

17,637 posts, read 19,027,454 times
Raw Milk, New Mexico from website: Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?
Gila: DownTown Raw Milk Dairy, JJ Dabbs, jjdabbs@yahoo.com . Pasture-based raw milk dairy.

Maxwell: Kuchan Ranch, Toni Kuchan, 284 State Road 445, or P.O. Box 301, Cell: (575) 447-2600, Home: (575) 375-2315, Email: kuchanranch@yahoo.com, Web: www.kuchanranch.com. They raise four Guernseys and 15 Nubian and Sable Saanen dairy goats on 300 acres. All natural Grass/Alfalfa based diet. Raw cow or goat milk available through herd share program. They also offer cow cream and goat Chevre and Queso Fresco cheeses.

Santa Fe/Albuquerque/Las Cruces/Clovis: See Pereira Pastures Dairy, Abernathy, TX listing for more information.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/nm.arm

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

December 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest
December 2014 "Theme" Contest

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-20-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico