U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM

182 posts, read 592,682 times

Advertisements

i was wondering if anyone knew about inexpensive places for artists. Santa Fe and Taos are too expensive for me. I was wondering about Silver City and Las Cruces. Does anyone have any info on the art communities in these cities or any other suggestions. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 AM

828 posts, read 3,516,358 times
Silver City would be an affordable art community. It is getting more expensive though so you better hurry on moving there but right now still affordable. Farmington is getting more artsy types coming in. A large city and pretty cheap to live there if you rent. Houses can be expensive though. Because of the UFO thing in Aztec, by Farmington, it has attracted new agers and art people for some reason. Cheap place live too. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 AM

thanks and yes, it does help. Hadn't heard about the UFO thing. A little concerned about winter in Farmington, tho. From what I have read here in the threads and elsewhere Las Cruces sounds good too. I plan to make a trip out there in the near future. Maybe during the winter so I can see for myself just how cold it gets!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM

54 posts, read 205,606 times
Default U F O?

New Mexico just keeps gettin' better! We all know about Roswell...what's the deal with Aztec? I have lived in many countries and different states and I am so fascinated with the diversity of New Mexico. How could anyone not find a place to be happy in NM? Conservatives to Aliens...I love it!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 PM

Aztec claims that a UFO crashed there too. They actually have a sculpture of a lit UFO crashed into a metal bridge there. It has drawn the same kind of people that go to Roswell to Aztec too. Farmington has mild winters with no snow to hardly any snow. Winter isn't an issue there. The summers are hot and I remember it in the 100s quite a bit in the summer.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:54 AM

54 posts, read 205,606 times
Thanks Crackerjack, I consider myself more of a moderate type...live and let live though.. a bit boring, I know. I'm happy in my own skin and unless someone hurts others I'm happy to be their friend no matter how outlandish their beliefs are (compared to mainstream USA). Have a good night!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 PM

You are welcome Lowcountry Girl. I wish you Good Luck on wherever you decide move!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:46 AM

Crackerjack, are there any smaller places outside of santa fe that might be affordable "art town" . was wondering about south of s.f around Galisteo/cerrillos. thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 08:44 AM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,447,753 times
Lots of art all over NM.
As far as outside of Santa Fe. You may try Algadones, Placitas those places are not all that far from Santa Fe and still more affordable than SF. Bernalillo would also probably be a good option.

For more affordable areas may I suggest Lincoln County . There are some small towns outside of ruidoso that you could try. Maybe Capitan, Hondo, or Carrizozo. Its a really nice area with lots of artest. Here is a link to there art loop http://www.artloop.org/

Old 08-05-2006, 06:08 PM

thanks, yb, I'll check it all out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico