U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,559,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
You would think that, but every time there is a high profile DWI or major alcohol problem people go off trying to figure out where they got the alcohol from and try to sue the stores/bar/airline/etc...

I just hate how I can't buy alcohol until noon on Sundays..
Hate to rain on your parade, but it's no different in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,550,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
You would think that, but every time there is a high profile DWI or major alcohol problem people go off trying to figure out where they got the alcohol from and try to sue the stores/bar/airline/etc...

I just hate how I can't buy alcohol until noon on Sundays..

well its a good thing you dont live in some counties in Eastern NM then, they cant even buy alcohol on Sundays.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,813,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
well its a good thing you dont live in some counties in Eastern NM then, they cant even buy alcohol on Sundays.

Must be pure h..l to have such a desperate need and be unable to satisfy it!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM

6,779 posts, read 7,022,345 times
Standard practice. And it happens in many parts of Europe too (though the legal age is lower). Scandinavian countries have had similar alcohol problems in the past as NM (DWI, public drunkenness) and as a result has some pretty strict laws.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 8,177 times
Being ID carded for Alcohol purchase in New Mexico is become an issue. Because cashiers have sold alcohol to minors and the business fined. Several newly trained and licenced clerks are afraid and are willing to chase customers away from the store then sell alcohol. Clearly I am over 50 near 60 and my lady freind is clearly over 50 (61) Walgreens refused to sell alhocol because she was not with ID. Fine, I left and returned 5 minutes later. The clerk again refused to sell me alcohol because we were filmed on camera by security, even the security cleark (uniformed) followed me into the dept.
Clerks are making bad choices and stores are going to loose customers. PS I and my lady friend both have purchased from Walgreens same location and know the clerk and still was refused even though this clerk has carded us several times this time we slipped up. Your right No more shopping Walgreens. This is not my only bad experience their clerks are very rude, in several locations. NOT Freindly/

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM

61 posts, read 73,994 times
On the subject of 18 vs. 21 to purchase alcohol, let me just make one small observation. I was working as a cocktail waitress in Massachusetts when they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18 in response to public outcry, and our lives immediately became hell. We all know, I hope, that people want to drink, and that they have fake IDs, but when the age was 21, the cheaters were usually 19 or 20, and at least they had to ACT fairly mature. When the age was lowered to 18, suddenly we had 15-year-olds trying to get into the club with fake IDs, and they were acting like 15-year-olds... and we all know how mature THEY behave - throwing up in each other's shoes, starting fights, it was awful. It didn't last long, in large part because the drunk driving accident rate soared; voters quickly changed it back to 21 and every waitress in the state breathed a sigh of relief. You have no idea how obnoxious and dangerous really young people are when they get drunk - lack of life experience + alcohol = disaster - and frankly I don't think they ought to be getting married or going to war at 18 either... but that's a rant for another day (and another thread).

And honey, if it's that much of a burden for you to wait until after noon to buy your booze, I think you've got more problems than a couple of hours will solve.

SVG

Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,110,872 times
That's how it is in England too. The age limit is 18 but that just means everyone tries to get in the bars at 16. Problem is all the young guys think they are tough after a couple of beers and you see fights a plenty every weekend outside the bars and pubs.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM

49,539 posts, read 41,487,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebrown67 View Post
Last night around 1030pm my husband and I were out and on the way home ran to Walmart for a couple of things. Among those things was a 12-pack of beer.

When we got to the register, I handed over my ID to cashier as my husband was putting things into the cart. The cashier looked at my ID then demanded to see my husband's ID as well. He had left his wallet at home.

When we told her this, she copped an attittude, and refused to sell me the beer even though I had vaild ID and was the one paying for it. She told me it was New Mexico state law. I have been in this state since July, have purchased beer many times with my husband present, and never has there been a request for both of us to produce ID's until last night.

Has anyone else experienced this? I used google to try to find information regarding this law and was unable to.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
that is rediculous, but I can only guess it has to do with Wal-Mart being fined several times for selling liquour to minors. This doesn't excuse what she did as long as you were paying. I guess if the policy is everyone must be able to prove they are over 21 there isn't much that can be done.

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM

731 posts, read 1,058,552 times
If you are purchasing alcohol in NM, you are required to have a valid ID. If there is someone with you, that person can also be carded. My daughter is a bartender and servers and cashiers are only doing their jobs. Selling to an underage person or someone without an ID can cost them their job and license to serve alcohol. Should these people jeopardize their livelihood for you? Respect these people as they are only doing their jobs.

If you have a problem with the law, contact your legislators and complain to them. NM has chosen to be very strict in enforcing these laws, so we have to abide. Always carry your ID and have your partner carry his/hers also.

And to the poster than wanted liquor sales before noon on Sunday...pick up a six pack Saturday night! Or do you have parties on Sunday mornings?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,368,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
If you are purchasing alcohol in NM, you are required to have a valid ID. If there is someone with you, that person can also be carded. My daughter is a bartender and servers and cashiers are only doing their jobs. Selling to an underage person or someone without an ID can cost them their job and license to serve alcohol. Should these people jeopardize their livelihood for you? Respect these people as they are only doing their jobs.

If you have a problem with the law, contact your legislators and complain to them. NM has chosen to be very strict in enforcing these laws, so we have to abide. Always carry your ID and have your partner carry his/hers also.

And to the poster than wanted liquor sales before noon on Sunday...pick up a six pack Saturday night! Or do you have parties on Sunday mornings?
Well, you know, some people like a spritz of Wild Turkey with their Apple Jacks before church!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico