Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,655 times

Advertisements

We just went for a hike today on the mountain and we came to an undescrible look-out. My 4 year old son says, "Mom, I can see the WHOLE world!" I want to take every visitor there. I didn't realize there was a sledding hill there, as well as cross country skiing. I'm from New York originally and the Midwest lastly. I am extremely excited about the winter snow fun. When the movers moved us and saw we brought our cross country skiis and sleds, they were making gentle fun of us. They were thinking we would be doing our sledding on the desert hills, but we knew of the mountains and brought our stuff any ways. Really glad we did and LOVE Sandia Crest. The views are incredible and the hiking is wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Homewardbound.....glad you enjoy the mountain views from the top. Almost seems like your in a plane when looking out and about. There's alot more ranges in New Mexico with those types of views so keep exploying and enjoying......

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Yes, the tram ride up there is great, the views from up top are spectacular, and the restaurant is a nice place to eat and have a drink. NM is a beautiful state. I've been "enchanted" by it for most of my life.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yes, the tram ride up there is great, the views from up top are spectacular, and the restaurant is a nice place to eat and have a drink. NM is a beautiful state. I've been "enchanted" by it for most of my life.
I definitely want to go with my husband and son up the mountain on the tram, but finances are tight until husband finds a job. I do look forward to that though. We often wonder if people that have lived here all their life ever take the beauty for granted. I know I didn't appreciate the rural area I grew up in until I left it. I can't imagine getting used to or bored with the views from Sandia or any of the other great places here either for that matter.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
NM is a beautiful state. I've been "enchanted" by it for most of my life.
Me too.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
A couple of years ago I ran the annual La Luz Trail run - a race that is held every year that starts at the foothills of the Sandias and is run all the way to Sandia Peak. It is a grueling 9.0 miles! However...I have often stated this, next to the birth of my kids and my wedding day, the training runs I would do by myself up the mountain preparing for the race were some of the absolute best times of my life.

The quietness. The serenity. The awesome and incredible views - both over the city and looking up the mountain. The nature. The cooling mountain crisp air the higher in elevation you get. The smells of pine, etc., permeating.

Indeed...I almost get all teary eyed thinking about it. Sandia Peak and getting up there and getting around is something magical.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
A couple of years ago I ran the annual La Luz Trail run - a race that is held every year that starts at the foothills of the Sandias and is run all the way to Sandia Peak. It is a grueling 9.0 miles! However...I have often stated this, next to the birth of my kids and my wedding day, the training runs I would do by myself up the mountain preparing for the race were some of the absolute best times of my life.

The quietness. The serenity. The awesome and incredible views - both over the city and looking up the mountain. The nature. The cooling mountain crisp air the higher in elevation you get. The smells of pine, etc., permeating.

Indeed...I almost get all teary eyed thinking about it. Sandia Peak and getting up there and getting around is something magical.
Awesome description. I see why you have a good reputation on this board!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
I went up there in October....took the road from Placitas ...RT 165 ...I'm not sure I would recommend it though ..it's not for the squeamish....I had a hot chocolate at the restaurant ...it was at sunset and as it got darker all the twinkling lights of Albuquerque down below came on it was fantastic...I think next time I'll take the tram instead ....big temperature difference too ....definitely needed a jacket ...crisp cool (and thin) air ....certainly an amazing place

Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Homewardbound.....glad you enjoy the mountain views from the top. Almost seems like your in a plane when looking out and about. There's alot more ranges in New Mexico with those types of views so keep exploying and enjoying......
Oh you can believe we will Harry! I can't describe to you how happy this life style change has made our family. We can't think of a better place, except maybe heaven, but that can wait for now.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I went up there in October....took the road from Placitas ...RT 165 ...I'm not sure I would recommend it though ..it's not for the squeamish....I had a hot chocolate at the restaurant ...it was at sunset and as it got darker all the twinkling lights of Albuquerque down below came on it was fantastic...I think next time I'll take the tram instead ....big temperature difference too ....definitely needed a jacket ...crisp cool (and thin) air ....certainly an amazing place
We took the road from the mountain to Placitas and I was quite a nervous wreck. First of all we're in a Toyota Camry, not an all wheel or 4 wheel drive, and it got pretty scary in parts. My husband made me believe it was the only way to Placitas, until he admitted he was kidding I was floored as to why anyone would endure that at those prices. I mean I know its beautiful in Placitas, but to do that road every day. Its pretty easy to pull my leg, as you have now figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico