Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,542 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Lordsburg? Planning on moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 02:56 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Very Small Town. Biggest Cities near are Las Cruces and Tuscon.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Lordsburg population approx 3000 is county seat of Hidalgo County ...is has an awesome climate very similiar to towns in neighboring Cochise County in Arizona...I visited the chamber of commerce and got brochures that claim 350sunny days a year ....the entire area is sparsely populated ...I think there's only 7000 or 8000 people in the county ....it's wide open country where you can see great distances ...including landmark "Pyramid Peak" south of town ...also south of town is "Shakespeare" ghost town ...it's now a tourist attraction ..unfortunately it was closed the day I was there ....there's another ghost town just the west at Steins ....sometimes the winds pickup at Lordsburg Playa affecting nearby I-10 (particularly in early spring) ...as for the town itself ...I thought it was abit run down (especially motel dr) also I think Phelps Dodge closing down at Playas (south of town) a few years ago impacted Lordsburg abit ....but I think the area has potential ...a developer with deep pockets and the right marketing plan could bring it back to life ...being on a major interstate it has plenty of accomodation and some amenities but it is a small town ....I stayed at Super 8 it was nice and clean and the people at the chamber of commerce were friendly....here are climate stats (averages) if you're interested ....like I mentioned ..very similiar to places like Douglas/Bowie/Willcox/Safford/Benson over in SE AZ ....

LORDSBURG elevation 4245'

JAN 60 26
FEB 65 29
MAR 71 32
APR 80 39
MAY 89 47
JUN 98 57
JUL 98 64
AUG 95 62
SEP 91 55
OCT 81 43
NOV 69 31
DEC 60 26

Summer highs in the upper 90's but very dry and temps drop like a stone at nite ...sunny and mild the rest of the year ...exactly halfway between El Paso and Tucson ....you can go to either for a day trip ...

Old 06-22-2007, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,406 times
yOU WILL REGET IT LOOK FORWARD TO NOTHING , TALK ABOUT NOTHING TO DO OR SHOP OR ANYTHING

Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 AM

271 posts, read 1,175,204 times
Lordsburg? I was just in Lordsburg two days ago while returning from
a trip to Tucson. Why would you want to live in Lordsburg? There's nothing
there. I stopped at a motel to get a room and the person at the counter
said he couldn't rent any rooms right now. Of course several of us had to
ask why and he said the police were raiding several rooms because of drug
problems. I stepped outside to take a look and cops were everywhere with
guns drawn. So on to Deming. Hopefully property there is cheap or better
yet free. Maybe I missed something but it's mostly just motels and a Mc Donalds. I guess the best thing would be it's close to Arizona but why not
just move to AZ? Maybe cheaper taxes in NM?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Perhaps judy0605 wants to live in a place where there is "nothing". I can think of worse situations to be in. It seems like a good place to retire. It's probably not a bad place to be for amateur astronomy, ham radio, and motorcycle riding, which are my main interests. I wouldn't especially mind monthly trips to Tucson or El Paso to get the stuff I'd need for the next month.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
You wouldn't have to even drive to El Paso. Las Cruces has everything you need. Super Walmart, Kmart, Target, SAMS club, Mall, etc.

Why drive 40 more miles to El Paso to get the same?

Even better yet. Deming may have most of your needs.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:23 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
I was just there two days ago. I wanted to see it after passing through in 1988. I was absolutely appalled at how many empty buildings were there. I even took pictures of the 'ruins'. I was seriously going to start a thread inquiring what had happened to this town. And now, I find this thread!

You can't possibly think of moving to Lordsburg as a good thing unless you currently live in Darfur or Iraq. (OK, probably some Lordsburgian will complain.) But, having grown up in Gary IN, I know what a dead place looks like. Lordsburg was one of the saddest places I've ever driven through. More former gas stations stand in ruin along the main route than any other business. Hotels are garbage. Housing is poor. Jobs are elsewhere.

Please consider someplace else unless you've got millions to pour into this town and revitalize it.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
I am a custom bespoke bootmaker and also make other old west items. I would love to move to Lordsburg. I wonder if anyone here could point me to a vacant old building there to set up shop, something old that needs restored. I am a billion miles from rich, but would be willing to fix a place up and pay a very, very reasonable rent for a place unused for 60 years. Also would like to find an apprentice or two who wants to do leather work and bootmaking.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 112,717 times
Exclamation Think Silver City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfcsa View Post
I am a custom bespoke bootmaker and also make other old west items. I would love to move to Lordsburg. I wonder if anyone here could point me to a vacant old building there to set up shop, something old that needs restored. I am a billion miles from rich, but would be willing to fix a place up and pay a very, very reasonable rent for a place unused for 60 years. Also would like to find an apprentice or two who wants to do leather work and bootmaking.
Silver is starting to come into it's own, I would think you would have more of a chance there than Lordsburg. Remember, it's not all about the cheapest building or piece of land--ya gotta have customers--a few anyway!
ps: read some threads on Silver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico