U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,666,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
I went to school (kindergarten to 12th grade) with one of the people accused of doing this. He is part Navajo - part Anglo. In school, he was a pretty shy kid, but a good kid. Very sad that this happened.

Saying "This could happen anywhere" is true. By saying this, one is not excusing the act. These people exhibited hate for one reason or another. Hate, sadly, exists in many places and in many forms. How we teach that hate and ignorance is not acceptable is the question.

As a mid-school teacher, there are a few students who enter my classroom every August thinking that Hitler is God and are fascinated with him. I make a point every year to show just how cruel and despicable his actions were.

Youth need to learn acceptance and about diversity. If one's parents, peers, or environment foster a feeling of hate, the person will likely show those same feelings. Educating the youth about how intolerable and devastating these actions are is one way to change people's perceptions on to what is 'cool' and 'uncool'.
it can happen anywhere,but some places are more likely. I once dated a white girl in Farmington, I had to meet her dad and she told me that if he asks, let him know that Im White cause he didnt like any other races.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 AM

139 posts, read 328,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
I went to school (kindergarten to 12th grade) with one of the people accused of doing this. He is part Navajo - part Anglo. In school, he was a pretty shy kid, but a good kid. Very sad that this happened.

Saying "This could happen anywhere" is true. By saying this, one is not excusing the act. These people exhibited hate for one reason or another. Hate, sadly, exists in many places and in many forms. How we teach that hate and ignorance is not acceptable is the question.

As a mid-school teacher, there are a few students who enter my classroom every August thinking that Hitler is God and are fascinated with him. I make a point every year to show just how cruel and despicable his actions were.

Youth need to learn acceptance and about diversity. If one's parents, peers, or environment foster a feeling of hate, the person will likely show those same feelings. Educating the youth about how intolerable and devastating these actions are is one way to change people's perceptions on to what is 'cool' and 'uncool'.
I admire and commend you for Teaching better Human choices. Ignorance creates Fear, if one just gets a glimpse of other Culture's positive points,( like good food )then we can start a more accepting Society. We have a possibility of a Great Country to grow here, all of us just needs to reach out a little more and help others one at a time. We also need to get out of our ,"Comfort Zone", and be brave by studying each others Cultures and opening up ones heart . We all have good resources of inner strength , we need to tap it with a positive force . This Corporate greed to push each other apart is what we need to join together to push back on , not each other, Join one another to build a Better Country,by being Strong with a Helping attitude toward one another . I am a small Farmsteader, and know what hard times are , and still manage to share any abundance with the local Food Banks, so i walk the Talk. I Challenge all to use your talents to help others like this wonderful Teacher. Best Wishes, AJ
PS we have considered moving to NM , maybe even Farmington area.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 AM

17,663 posts, read 19,110,883 times
An update on this matter:

Farmington swastika branding brings hate crime indictment, By Marjorie Childress Nov 12, 2010 - Paul Beebe, 27, William Hatch, 29, and Jesse Sanford, 25, all of Farmington, NM, were indicted by a federal grand jury in Albuquerque for their assault on the 22-year old Navajo man. They are charged with one count of conspiracy and one count of violating the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. More Info: Farmington swastika branding brings hate crime indictment | New Mexico Independent

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 AM

206 posts, read 252,192 times
Let's put things in perspective. This is a country of 308 million people. Of course things like this are going to happen. It happens all over the world. The U.S. is a grand experiment in Multi-Culturalism, it hasn't been done before. So far, I think we have done a damm good job...

Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM

17,663 posts, read 19,110,883 times
William Hatch, 31, of Fruitland, NM pleaded guilty in June 2011 to a lesser charge of conspiracy to violate the Hate Crimes Prevention Act and was sentenced to 14 months in prison and three years of probation.

Paul Beebe of Farmington, NM pleaded guilty to lesser charges and is serving an eight year prison sentence.

Jesse Sanford, of Farmington, NM pleaded guilty to lesser charges and is serving a five year prison sentence.

RELATED ARTICLES:
Two plead guilty to hate-crime charges in swastika branding - latimes.com
U.S. Court of Appeals upholds Fruitland man's hate crime conviction - Farmington Daily Times
Swastika-branding perpetrators sentenced - Albuquerque Judaism | Examiner.com
UPDATED: Two Farmington Men Plead Not Guilty in Swastika Branding Case | Albuquerque Journal News

Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 AM

33,843 posts, read 29,299,216 times
Were any of these perverts charged with aggravated assault in a State Court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico