Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyS View Post
I am originally from Eunice. Grew up there. It IS boring!.....

NM has 5% state tax and the fire ants haven't reached it yet. Last I heard they had made their way to Andrews. Maybe because the weather is so dry that they stay in Texas. Andrews IS on the border, but the mesquite trees are bigger and greener than only a few miles away, so I would say Hobbs would be better than Andrews.

Of course by now you've probably made your mind up, I'm a new comer so pardon if you have.
Since that post was written, I have arrived and am settling in at Alamogordo. From what I have been told, fireants ARE here--and Amdro Fireant bait is sold locally for that reason.

I was REALLY disappointed to learn that. I figured it was too cold and too dry for them here, but apparently not!!

At least they don't have brown recluse spiders here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,408 times
Default originally from western kentucky

as someone who moved here last april, i can safely say that i miss the trees and green grass...BUT THAT'S IT!!!!! the desert has it's own beauty, but as you get here, you'll see things that you thought only existed in fiction. so neat to see a roadrunner, a tumbleweed as big as my garage, huge tarantulas (sp?). i love the dry climate. hate the windstorms in the spring, though. other than that. i'm growing accustomed to it. i visit kentucky every few months or so and it's been nice just to get a taste of what i miss. we live in andrews now. when myhusband's company first moved us out here, they put us in hobbs temporarily and boy was that an experience. crime is awful there. andrews is a sleepy little town, a little bigger than eunice. depending on your husband's commute, midland or odessa might be too far of a drive to live there. i love it here, and there are tons of houses for sale in our neighborhood. come look in heritage oaks! hope some of what i said was helpful.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,481 times
I am late getting into this conversation, but I find myself in the same position as the original poster. Retiring Military, currently in Mobile AL. Personally I am an Arizona Girl, so the desert is nothing new to me. I look forward to it, actually. I miss the smells of the blooming desert in the spring. Anyway...my husband is interviewing for a position at a plant in Eunice. I am not much of a small town girl, but do enjoy the peace and quiet. My daughter just made the principals list here, (her first time) we are so proud. I just don't want her grades to suffer because of the move. Can you recommend a property management company or someone who has a house for rent? We have three dogs, two big and one small to medium. Our price range is pretty open as far as rent, of course the less the better, until i can find myself a job. I would prefer not to go over 1000 a month. Must have the fenced backyard. If there is anyone out there with information on any of my questions. Thank you Thank You Thank You! Finding info on the internet seems to be like pulling teeth. Sincerely, Lisa Swift

Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'm born and bred in the DFW area, but absolutely love the drier climate of NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico