Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,923 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'll do that. One of the jobs I'm looking at is on the Mescalero reservation. The area looks nice on google earth.

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracelane View Post
If it was you, which place would you rather live?
I have possibilities at Crownpoint, Magdalena, Mescalero and Albuquerque.

I read something about Uranium of all things!
Tracy, I have lived in Rio Rancho which is adjacent to Albuquerque for eleven years. I have been to Magdalena and I would not wish to live there for a variety of reasons, but that is just my thoughts and our family. I can't speak for Crownpoint or Mescalero.

Uranium mining in New Mexico was a significant industry from the early 1950s until the early 1980s. New Mexico has the second largest identified uranium ore reserves of any state in the US. There is no current uranium mining but there is some talk of starting up again. I don't know why you became concerned with uranium, as we have another issue, arsenic in some of our natural water sources, So you have some more research to do.

I would certainly come out to the area and look at it personally. We have some spectacular scenery, and some of it can be daunting for some people.

Rich

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
There have been concerns for years regarding uranium tailings in the 4 corners region, a push to reintroduce mining on the Navajo Res, & problems with uranium in water such as Ambrosia Lk. near Grants. Probably, Tracy has read of some of these issues.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracelane View Post
Thanks, I'll do that. One of the jobs I'm looking at is on the Mescalero reservation. The area looks nice on google earth.

T
The area is VERY nice!
TRIBE'S WEB SITE
I don't know about living ON the reservation unless you are a tribal affiliate - or they offer living quarters as part of the job perks. There is an elderly care center that accepts non-tribal members who live there full time (until it's their time!). And there are plenty of other options off the reservation and commuting isn't a big deal - half hour or less from either reservation line on east or west boundaries to the village of Mescalero itself.

Last edited by jaxart; 06-08-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM

36 posts, read 64,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The area is VERY nice!
TRIBE'S WEB SITE
I don't know about living ON the reservation unless you are a tribal affiliate - or they offer living quarters as part of the job perks. There is an elderly care center that accepts non-tribal members who live there full time (until it's their time!). And there are plenty of other options off the reservation and commuting isn't a big deal - half hour or less from either reservation line on east or west boundaries to the village of Mescalero itself.

I spent 3 years on the Mescalero Res growing up, so of course I'd vote for it! My mother was an elementary teacher there. There were privately owned homes, & we rented 2 different ones while we were there. No prettier place on earth!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We drove through the Reservation on our last vacation to NM. Stunningly beautiful country. We also visited Magdalena. Very quiet and I am considering retiring there.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuliegal View Post
I spent 3 years on the Mescalero Res growing up, so of course I'd vote for it! My mother was an elementary teacher there. There were privately owned homes, & we rented 2 different ones while we were there. No prettier place on earth!
Is your name Cynthia? If yes, then I've met you before. If not, then I'm wondering if you lived on that property in Mescalero that is privately owned within the reservation? That's where Cynthia told me she lived as a child. It's the site of the historic (now long gone) Blazer's Mill.

An aside: The site of St. Joseph's Church is also not tribal property but rather about ten acres belongs to the Catholic Diocese of Las Cruces (another fact I learned from Cynthia).
http://www.zianet.com/jaxart/gallery/StJosephs.jpg (broken link)

My painting of St. Joseph's Mission Church in Mescalero (artistic license taken with setting).

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
oh jaxart, that's incredible. I really love it.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Very beautiful. It's highly 'saturated', like good ol' Kodachrome photos were, with lots of green around it!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
oh jaxart, that's incredible. I really love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Very beautiful. It's highly 'saturated', like good ol' Kodachrome photos were, with lots of green around it!
Thank you both for your kind comments. High color saturation is typical of most of my paintings - nice observation.
PS I didn't mean to detour this thread by posting that image. Just thought it might give another reason for the OP to seriously consider Mescalero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico