U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,495,071 times
If I were in the warehousing business and contemplating a move to New Orleans, I'd start here:

:: ILA 3000 | NEW ORLEANS CHAPTER | LONGSHOREMEN's UNION ::

That's the Longshoreman's Union and they are active in every wharf along the river. It's hard to break into and can take years to become a steady job, but in the end it would be worth it as New Orleans is one of the nation's busiest ports.

And, it's not the only port within driving distance either. In fact, they are up the river as far as Baton Rouge, downstream to at least Pilot Town, on the Gulf (Port Fourchon) and inland in places like New Iberia and Terrebonne Parish.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-04-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM

8,466 posts, read 10,553,422 times
Just to let you know that next May the AIA is having the convention in N.O and we could not wait to sign up. Hope to bring you some tourist dollars then. God bless.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 AM

295 posts, read 427,184 times
Just to throw it out there, the Port Of South Louisiana (centered near Laplace) was listed as the biggest port in the country according to one source I saw.

The perception about New Orleans being affected by the spill isn't helped by every other news story (television or print) lists New Orleans on the byline.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,495,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
Just to throw it out there, the Port Of South Louisiana (centered near Laplace) was listed as the biggest port in the country according to one source I saw.

The perception about New Orleans being affected by the spill isn't helped by every other news story (television or print) lists New Orleans on the byline.
That's because the reporters are laid up in some high dollar French Quarter hotel. Ever notice that they do most of their reporting from the levee in front of Jackson Square?

Boy...what a tough job!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,097 times
It's going to come up the river stuck to the ships. They put booms around the intake to our water supply "just in case". They filter for hydrocarbons, but if the system gets over run...I don't really put too much trust in our water board after they stopped putting fluoride in the water after Katrina (couldn't find a supplier?) I don't mind not being flourinated, they just didn't mention it until a year later. The oil is in Pontchartrain, now.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 AM

49,278 posts, read 45,802,045 times
compared to the 20 million spill of illegals on the job market, the oil spill is guna affect you alot less if you are looking for a warehouse job in NO.
signed
a former resident

Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,343,237 times
I'd stay out of Louisiana due to the oil spill. This is going to get a lot worse before.... I think it is only going to get worse and worse. Tar balls are already in Lake Ponchatrain.. I live here and I LOVE it here but I am starting to think it is time to look at moving out of here. I strongly suggest you wait 6 months and see what is happening then. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Now I'll duck while the bash me for saying that.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM

310 posts, read 468,931 times
Nah Laura, it's all good. If it's as bad of a hurricane season as they're predicting and there's too much damage and destruction to my life again, I'm outta here myself. I can't stay. I love it here but I'm not one of the strong ones. I can't go through it again.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,958,045 times
I can't go any where yet (? if ever). Lots of stuff on the net that, as usual, blows things out of proportion. I don't believe every thing I read and it doesn't matter if its the printed word or the internet. We WILL make it thru this. That is what we do.

But please no hurricanes

Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 AM

1,734 posts, read 3,513,542 times
The river is already full of nasty foul stuff from leaky ships and from run-off. I wouldn't worry about any oil that would be transported into the river on the hulls of ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans